Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 01:16 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

....... By way of similar example, the first wave of coronavirus hit the New York City area at a time when no one was taking mitigation measures. Most of the outbreaks after that first one were extremely mild. Perhaps it would have been best if the world had simply “let it rip.“
The first wave of corona virus hit every place in the world at a time when no place yet was putting extreme mitigation measures in place, and it hit with a big bang. Most of the outbreaks - and the variants - that happened afterwards were milder because places everywhere were putting mitigation measures into place.

Perhaps you're right that it may have been best if the world had simply "let it rip" without putting any mitigation measures in place. Then 3 or 4 times more people would have died and the world would have been culling away a more noticeable proportion of the weak and the halt members of the world's human population. It might not been seen by humans as a good thing for humans, but it would certainly be a good thing for the planet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 01:33 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
Noted, but the restrictions to protect the hospital system was supposed to last for two weeks, not two years. My criticism of the restrictions in the first place was that there was no good way to reopen if the goal was eradicating the virus and not only protecting the hospitals from being overwhelmed. That indeed turned out to be the rub.
I don't understand why what was self-evident to me was apparently not self-evident to everyone. The "two weeks" thing that has been bandied about - just why would anyone think that this wouldn't change as the situation evolved?

We didn't know enough about the virus. No one did. So how could "two weeks" possibly have been chiseled in stone?

Has any government done this virus, this pandemic before? Are they supposed to be psychic and know how it will evolve? Governments were playing it by ear to the best of the abilities, with, of course, their voters in mind. Which caused unnecessary loss of life as governments waffled back and forth as they imagined what their base might think.

This is actually a hard thing to understand?

And if there had been no restrictions and no vaccines, and more people had died, then like spoiled children, people would have blamed the government for following the wishes of their base. Waaah! Waah!

And from this some people extrapolate a police state? Really?

I read dire warnings in various places about how this is how the Nazis came to power and how never in history had a government rescinded restrictions they put into place. Well, welcome, History!

One thing I am sure of is that it will be the freedom-righters who will bring about the fall of democracy when it comes. They will push and push so much the idea of rights without responsibilities and without regard for the rights of those they disagree with, that when the January 6ers and the Freedom Convoyers overthrow democratically elected governments and install their own brand of "freedom," they won't be happy with the resulting dictatorship of the stupid.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,351,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't understand why what was self-evident to me was apparently not self-evident to everyone. The "two weeks" thing that has been bandied about - just why would anyone think that this wouldn't change as the situation evolved?

We didn't know enough about the virus. No one did. So how could "two weeks" possibly have been chiseled in stone?

Has any government done this virus, this pandemic before? Are they supposed to be psychic and know how it will evolve? Governments were playing it by ear to the best of the abilities, with, of course, their voters in mind. Which caused unnecessary loss of life as governments waffled back and forth as they imagined what their base might think.

And if there had been no restrictions and no vaccines, and more people had died, then like spoiled children, people would have blamed the government for following the wishes of their base. Waaah! Waah!

I read dire warnings in various places about how this is how the Nazis came to power and how never in history had a government rescinded restrictions they put into place. Well, welcome, History!

One thing I am sure of is that it will be the freedom-righters who will bring about the fall of democracy when it comes. They will push and push so much the idea of rights without responsibilities and without regard for the rights of those they disagree with, that when the January 6ers and the Freedom Convoyers overthrow democratically elected governments and install their own brand of "freedom," they won't be happy with the resulting dictatorship of the stupid.
Sorta like the Bolsheviks that overthrew the Czar only to ultimately end up replacing a"Royal" family with a dictator of the worst kind and of which they're to this very day still suffering from the resultant DNA chain.

Beware those shouting "freedom" from the rooftops but at the same time demanding you acquiesce to their every thought on the subject.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:44 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Sorta like the Bolsheviks that overthrew the Czar only to ultimately end up replacing a"Royal" family with a dictator of the worst kind and of which they're to this very day still suffering from the resultant DNA chain.

Beware those shouting "freedom" from the rooftops but at the same time demanding you acquiesce to their every thought on the subject.
That is just so exactly so!

Old 03-27-2022, 04:14 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 8 days ago)

34,378 posts, read 16,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The first wave of corona virus hit every place in the world at a time when no place yet was putting extreme mitigation measures in place, and it hit with a big bang. Most of the outbreaks - and the variants - that happened afterwards were milder because places everywhere were putting mitigation measures into place.

Perhaps you're right that it may have been best if the world had simply "let it rip" without putting any mitigation measures in place. Then 3 or 4 times more people would have died and the world would have been culling away a more noticeable proportion of the weak and the halt members of the world's human population. It might not been seen by humans as a good thing for humans, but it would certainly be a good thing for the planet.

that does not accurately reflect my belief or my post. The waves did not hit simultaneously everywhere at all.

In our area, “Patient Zero“ became extremely ill around February 29, 2020. Mitigation measures started within about a week or two. By the end of March, most areas of the US and Canada had substantial restrictions, including business, school and places of worship closure. On March 21, 2020, for example, for no particular reason our locality banned outdoor tennis. I personally believe that very few lives were saved by these mitigation measures, and that almost all of them were mostly theater. There were several close to that. First of all, it was not felt necessary to restrain protest for “racial justice“ or to "defund the police" after the murder of George Floyd. Second of all, when restaurant dining was again allowed in late June 2020, people were allowed to remove their masks when they were seated. If the virus was so deadly, this would not have been permitted. Third of all, politicians and public figures were routinely caught flouting the guidelines.

The rules as they stood were arbitrary. The number of unrelated people who go to gather indoors kept fluctuating. The appearance of action was being created without much being accomplished. If I thought the death or serious injury toll would have been higher by more than a minuscule amount I would not have made the above post. And I put actions in place reflecting my words. Our small law office reopened June 2, 2020.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:

The initial "two week" period was instituted to avoid an uproar, so that people would comply. Pure and simple, if the governments had announced that it was going to last more like two years, people would at the very least have asked serious questions. They would have demanded that the government officials and their relatives apply the restrictions to themselves.

Quote:

Yes. People would have had valid questions as to whether the actions were going to do any good, and may well have made their own decisions.

Quote:

I depart from the protesters on vaccines. Don't people know they themselves have received many mandatory vaccines, and life is so much better for it?

Quote:
I don't think too many of the Freedom Convoyers thought that the Governor General would turn to them to form a government. As for January 6 protesters, I agree, human trash.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:01 AM

3,593 posts, read 3,329,389 times
Quote:
Chevy, your arguments are always logical. That does not mean I agree with them.
JBG, you are a lawyer, as am I. We can both make logical arguments, and you certainly have, but if we agreed with each other, then we wouldn't be on opposite sides of a file.

Note that I'm not saying that we're on opposite sides of this file, as neither of us is representing clients in this argument, but I do appreciate your logical posts, as you appreciate mine. Good example of collegiality.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
JBG, you are a lawyer, as am I. We can both make logical arguments, and you certainly have, but if we agreed with each other, then we wouldn't be on opposite sides of a file.

Note that I'm not saying that we're on opposite sides of this file, as neither of us is representing clients in this argument, but I do appreciate your logical posts, as you appreciate mine. Good example of collegiality.
Thanks sir, next motion is for sanctions and costs. See FRCP 11. </sarcasm>

Old 03-28-2022, 08:08 AM

7,639 posts, read 5,409,489 times
People’s Convoy Gives Up, Will Leave D.C. After 3 Weeks of Doing Absolutely Nothing

Old 03-28-2022, 06:19 PM

5,068 posts, read 1,995,562 times
Sorry if someone else already posted it but one guy tweeted some details about the CBC reporting on that Freedom Convoy protester.
https://twitter.com/gregg_re/status/1507749746030559232
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada