Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 02:03 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,344,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
And you might as well not include Alberta in those. For as much as an above poster said:

I'm reminded of nothing more than "Monty Python's Life of Brian," where the People's Front of Judea states that it is definitely not the Judean People's Front. "Which is that guy over there." as one character says, pointing at one guy.

In other words, these are fringe (and I'm being generous) movements of a few people at most. The Maverick Party is not a registered political party, and it's leader, Tamara Lich, is under house arrest in Medicine Hat for her participation in the Ottawa trucker's convoy. I'm in Alberta, and never heard of the Alberta Prosperity Project, United Grassroots, Free Alberta Strategy, or Wildrose Independence. Nobody I know, here in Alberta, has. I'm left to conclude that these are some malcontents who are trying to speak with a bigger voice than they actually have. Judean People's Front, anyone?

To be honest, I'm left feeling that the "Albertan People's Front," (fictional, but go with it) is three guys in one guy's mother's basement and are online; and just making stuff up, in order to stir stuff up.

I know some extremely conservative friends, who are convinced that Justin Trudeau and the Liberals are destroying this country, but they've never mentioned any of the above "parties" or movements as our hope for the future. If my friends have heard of them, which I doubt (none ever makes the news, and even I, here in Alberta, have never heard of such parties or movements prior to that post), they might regard them as I do: so far to the fringe as to be inconsequential. My friends do, however, support the mainstream Conservatives. That's okay, it's a free country, and they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 08:20 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 10 days ago)

34,416 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
AND perhaps also not the brightest bulb in the string of patio lights around the porch of his single wide:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/berni...reach-1.723124
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The cautionary aspect of this issue though is not to take it lightly when these types of movements, however insignificant they might be, receive a venue to express themselves such as the WWW.

The danger becomes one of people in the east coming to think the West universally hate them and vice-versa. Even benign backyard BBQ discussions then reflect this pattern as 'all inclusive' of one group or another.

We have to remain vigilant that groups like Lich's don't gain traction by attracting those who perceive themselves as dis-enfranchised among us - a fast growing demographic with each passing news day.
Are these groups as marginal as they sound?

Old 05-05-2022, 08:15 AM

26,758 posts, read 37,656,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Are these groups as marginal as they sound?
One senses that they are marginal but steadily growing in influence.

There is a spectrum that ranges from the absolute craziest to the non-crazy-but-sympathetic. With some wiggle room along that line of course.

While I wouldn't say that everyone who supports him is crazy, the momentum behind the Conservative leadership campaign of Pierre Poilievre (with crowds rarely seen for a federal party leadership run) is probably somewhat related to all of this.

Several recent polls in a row have now shown the Tories (still without a permanent leader) surging ahead of the Justin Trudeau Liberals by about 5 points.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 PM

3,344 posts, read 2,640,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One senses that they are marginal but steadily growing in influence.

There is a spectrum that ranges from the absolute craziest to the non-crazy-but-sympathetic. With some wiggle room along that line of course.

While I wouldn't say that everyone who supports him is crazy, the momentum behind the Conservative leadership campaign of Pierre Poilievre (with crowds rarely seen for a federal party leadership run) is probably somewhat related to all of this.

Several recent polls in a row have now shown the Tories (still without a permanent leader) surging ahead of the Justin Trudeau Liberals by about 5 points.
Is Poilievere bilingual?

Old 05-05-2022, 01:50 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,487,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is Poilievere bilingual?
i believe he is, how good his French is I am not qualified to say

Old 05-05-2022, 02:26 PM

14,634 posts, read 14,728,834 times
Quote:
Is Poilievere bilingual?
Wikipedia says he's bilingual and fluent in both English and French.

Old 05-06-2022, 04:04 AM

3,594 posts, read 3,332,372 times
Quote:
Is Poilievere bilingual?
It's pretty much guaranteed that anybody who aspires to the Prime Ministership of Canada nowadays has to be. So, I assume that he is.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:46 AM

Poilievre does not sound like a native speaker but is still pretty good. 8 or 9 out of 10 as a second language speaker.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
It's pretty much guaranteed that anybody who aspires to the Prime Ministership of Canada nowadays has to be. So, I assume that he is.
To be a serious aspirant anyway.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:49 AM

3,344 posts, read 2,640,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Poilievre does not sound like a native speaker but is still pretty good. 8 or 9 out of 10 as a second language speaker.
How many PMs scored a 10 in English and French?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada