Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 05:14 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is interesting.

You can't call another areas 911 from outside your 911 area. You could in theory call your 911 and say you know of an emergency outside your area, but those 911 operators don't work for telephone companies but for
companies like

https://www.ecomm911.ca/about-e-comm/

In other words IF a 911 operator in Boston was asked to be connected to the emergency line of the Ottawa Police...there would be some questions, but more importantly, that 911 operator wouldn't know the emergency number for the Ottawa police.

It used to be that before 911, emergency services did list their emergency numbers, but after 911 came into effect that slowly faded off. I just checked a couple of places, including Ottawa, and they only list non-emergency numbers and 911 for emergencies. Flooding non-emergency lines is pointless and would have no effect on 911.

So I can't see how someone outside of the area, let alone the country could call 911 and get Ottawa.

UNLESS, those calls came from US cell phone numbers, and those phones are in Ottawa, since cell phones using GPS will connect you to the 911 that your phone is physically in.

I'd be curious as to how and what the police know about these calls.
I thought the 911 thing was weird too, but it is possible. Hackers have been able to SWAT people long distance. A few years ago there was a game streamer in California who tried to SWAT another gamer in Oklahoma. He was able to make the 911 dispatcher in Oklahoma believe that he was there. Unfortunately he sent the cops to some random home, not the person he intended, where they shot and killed an unarmed person. The police tracked the caller down and he was eventually convicted of murder, the cop who fired the shots was not. Go figure, but that's another story.

My understanding is that 911 is just a virtual phone number, that the phone company will direct to the real emergency number for the nearest police department dispatcher, or communications center. From there the dispatcher, will either dispatch police via radio, or will forward the call to the Fire Department, Ambulance Service or even to another Police Dispatcher, if the incident is not in their jurisdiction. Normally it would just be to a neighboring police department, but they probably have access to a master list of all the emergency numbers in North America. So it's entirely possible that a 911 operator in Boston could transfer a call to the Ottawa police. Though normally they would stay on the line and tell the Ottawa Police Dispatcher where the call is coming from.

But again hackers have other ways of doing it. I'm not exactly sure how, but that type of thing has been a problem for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 05:36 PM

This is a good website for telling where the border problems are occuring. Pay particular attention to the delays for: Commercial Flow.

Quote:
Queenston-Lewiston Bridge Queenston, ON / Lewiston, NY delay 37 minutes 2022-02-11 19:10 EST
Peace Bridge Fort Erie, ON / Buffalo, NY delay 36 minutes 2022-02-11 19:10 EST
Blue Water Bridge Sarnia, ON / Port Huron, MI delay 3 hours 2022-02-11 18:22 EST
Windsor and Detroit Tunnel Windsor, ON / Detroit, MI delay 15 minutes 2022-02-11 19:14 EST
Ambassador Bridge Windsor, ON / Detroit, MI Temporarily closed 2022-02-11 19:14 EST
Coutts Coutts, AB / Sweet Grass, MT delay 7 hours 2022-02-11 12:14 MST
Border wait times_ United States to Canada

Old 02-11-2022, 05:44 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Here's another wrinkle for these guys. Not just the organizers but all who risk being charged with something related to their lack of co-operation with injunctions and orders to disband their blockades. NEXUS passes. They can be withdrawn at the whim of EITHER border control entity.

Should they be merely arrested long enough to be charged. Guess what the first question is if applying for a re-instatement or renewal of a Nexus pass: "have you ever been arrested" - nothing about actual conviction but merely "arrested".

Now even if denied a Nexus re-instatement or renewal and still choosing to report to the border to cross with a load without one and asked to show their documents at the kiosk on the American side - guess what's going to show up on that small screen and guess what's very likely to happen when it does - " I'm very sorry; I'm denying you entry. Take that lane over there to the other side of the bridge to return to Canada." - there goes his future crossing possibility for FIVE years as the first question when he shows up again will be: "have you ever been denied entry and he'd better dang well not lie on that one because that 'lil computer knows all and the agent is fully aware of his COMPLETE history, including a wart removal from between his shoulder blades in high school.

These guys are risking a lot over just some of their number choosing a HARMLESS vaccination as their hill to die upon.

They are being especially foolhardy if they're part of the 85% fully vaccinated with no dog in this silly carnival hunt.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:09 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/end...nger-1.6347861

Old 02-11-2022, 06:36 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Most Ottawa posters I’ve been reading didn’t expect anything to happen at 7:00 pm in Windsor. They speculated the police would wait at least until parents took their children home for the night and would most probably wait until much later tonight. So, we’ll see.

Edited to add: Video of protestors at the bridge listening to a speech. https://twitter.com/CityAdrian/statu...83189271961603

Last edited by cdnirene; 02-11-2022 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-11-2022, 06:53 PM

We’re such a small group. It’s frustrating not to be able to give rep points for really good posts.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Quote:
"It's not a kind of protest that is just about people and you go there and you tear gas them and you disperse people. It's it's not the same thing. It's talking about trucks. Heavy vehicles [are] what pose the biggest problem," he said.

"Let people protest. It's an individual right. Trucks have no right to protest."
That last line is the best part of the article. But I disagree with the rest. This absolutely is the kind of protest that you can go in there and tear gas them and disperse them. Pump teargas into the area until the protesters leave, then remove the vehicles. Yes it would take some time, but at the rate this is going they have plenty of time.

One thing's for sure. Negotiating with the protesters is not working. I'm not sure why they thought it would. The negotiations are just wasting time that could be used to clear the protesters and their vehicles out of there.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:06 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That last line is the best part of the article. But I disagree with the rest. This absolutely is the kind of protest that you can go in there and tear gas them and disperse them. Pump teargas into the area until the protesters leave, then remove the vehicles. Yes it would take some time, but at the rate this is going they have plenty of time.

One thing's for sure. Negotiating with the protesters is not working. I'm not sure why they thought it would. The negotiations are just wasting time that could be used to clear the protesters and their vehicles out of there.
They very much have underestimated the protestors. They should have gone in hard and fast and prevented them from taking those trucks to Parliament. I honestly believe it's because the convoy started in the west, that the government just mentally dismissed them.

But I've been creeping around on Facebook since the pandemic started and seen the crazy things that these people believe. And you will never convince them otherwise because everything else is "fake news." And how the f they are so gullible, I will never truly understand.

I just don't see tear gassing with little kids is a good idea.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Imagine the optics of tear-gassing young children.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
We’re such a small group. It’s frustrating not to be able to give rep points for really good posts.
Small and mostly sane

That other thread in Politics and Controversies, is..well...is...crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada