Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 11:30 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

I already posted this in the P&OC thread, but a plus side of all this is that many Americans now know that Ottawa is the capital of Canada!

Old 02-12-2022, 01:48 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

These guys are risking a lot over just some of their number choosing a HARMLESS vaccination as their hill to die upon.
It is actually the government that is risking a lot over a useless vaccination. The vaccine only gives short term protection against severe disease. It does not stop infection or transmission. In fact there is some evidence that the vaccine makes it more likely to become infected with Covid.

https://stevekirsch.substack.com/p/n...ficacy-example

" triple vaccinated people in the UK are more likely to be hospitalized, not less likely. In other words, the vaccines are doing the opposite of what the health authorities claimed. Mandating vaccination is actually making the problem worse, not better."

The truckers do not believe the vaccine is harmless. They probably believe it is extremely dangerous if they are reading Steve Kirsch's websites. He claims the vaccines kill more people than they save and that there have been 150,000 American deaths from the vaccine.

https://www.skirsch.com/covid/Deaths.pdf

https://www.skirsch.com/covid/VRBPAC-10-26-21.pdf

https://stevekirsch.substack.com/?ut...bstack_profile

One might get an idea of the mindset of the protesters if they read red points 1 through 13 in this article, especially #6.

https://stevekirsch.substack.com/p/i...d-the-mandates

The best way to end the protests is to immediately drop all vaccine mandates. Other countries are ending mandates.

"Denmark recently announced that starting February 1, it will drop all mandates for vaccinations and face masks.

Boris Johnson recently declared an end to the COVID restrictions in the UK. He said, “We will trust the judgment of the English people.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
They are being especially foolhardy if they're part of the 85% fully vaccinated with no dog in this silly carnival hunt.
Freedom is very important to some people!

Last edited by capoeira; 02-12-2022 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 04:52 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I can see how some can make their number look like it's somewhere else, but that doesn't mean they have access to 911 in another area. However that's not the issue. The police said they knew significant calls were made either from the US, or with US numbers. I'm assuming the numbers were US.

Someone calling from the US into Ottawa's 911 dispatch office directly means hacking into what? The phone companies 911 database? The 911 dispatch office? Sounds extremely difficult and a lot of time and energy.

I had to look up swatting. I can't find anything on out of area 911 call swatting. If you have a link?

The Oklahoma story, again if you have a link. It might have a clue as how he was able to get 911 out of his area. I really have my doubts though.

911 dispatch offices do not have access to all emergency numbers in the US and Canada. This is a US article, but it applies to Canada as well.

If you notice the article states

"The dispatcher will first need to find out which county and town your loved one lives in and then locate the 10-digit phone number for that PSAP from the local directory. Only then can the dispatcher transfer the call and connect you with the team who can help."

However, as I pointed out, local directories list 911 as the emergency number. All they can do is connect you to a non-emergency number.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/calli...-state-1298353

US cell phones in Ottawa, seem like the most logical answer. I guess we will find out.
And of course, the basic premise of the 911 system anywhere isn't to keep the ill-intentioned from outside the area from jamming it up, but rather to ensure that multiple ways to access it are as open as possible, so that people truly in need of help don't end up at a dead end.

Old 02-12-2022, 04:57 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
They very much have underestimated the protestors. They should have gone in hard and fast and prevented them from taking those trucks to Parliament. I honestly believe it's because the convoy started in the west, that the government just mentally dismissed them.

But I've been creeping around on Facebook since the pandemic started and seen the crazy things that these people believe. And you will never convince them otherwise because everything else is "fake news." And how the f they are so gullible, I will never truly understand.

I just don't see tear gassing with little kids is a good idea.
On that note when I was growing up in Wyoming, I remember the local TV station doing a report on the Hells Angels Motorcycle Gang, which had been causing problems at a number of cities in Montana, and was heading towards Wyoming. When they got to our town, the police had blocked off every single exit ramp into the city to all traffic. So the gang had no choice but to just ride right through town without stopping. Which was exactly what the police wanted them to do.

The solutions are out there.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 02-12-2022 at 05:08 AM..

Old 02-12-2022, 06:05 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I can see how some can make their number look like it's somewhere else, but that doesn't mean they have access to 911 in another area. However that's not the issue. The police said they knew significant calls were made either from the US, or with US numbers. I'm assuming the numbers were US.

Someone calling from the US into Ottawa's 911 dispatch office directly means hacking into what? The phone companies 911 database? The 911 dispatch office? Sounds extremely difficult and a lot of time and energy.

I had to look up swatting. I can't find anything on out of area 911 call swatting. If you have a link?

The Oklahoma story, again if you have a link. It might have a clue as how he was able to get 911 out of his area. I really have my doubts though.

911 dispatch offices do not have access to all emergency numbers in the US and Canada. This is a US article, but it applies to Canada as well.

If you notice the article states

"The dispatcher will first need to find out which county and town your loved one lives in and then locate the 10-digit phone number for that PSAP from the local directory. Only then can the dispatcher transfer the call and connect you with the team who can help."

However, as I pointed out, local directories list 911 as the emergency number. All they can do is connect you to a non-emergency number.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/calli...-state-1298353

US cell phones in Ottawa, seem like the most logical answer. I guess we will find out.
Yes, here you go. Here is the entire story. This guy had done it to Canadians before too. So it works cross border, and has been identified as a problem since at least 2008.

Quote:
It Started as an Online Gaming Prank. Then It Turned Deadly
A $1.50 wager on a "Call of Duty" match led to a fake 911 call reporting a violent hostage situation in Wichita. Here’s how it all went horribly awry.

Deceitful internet enthusiasts have been swatting strangers and acquaintances for more than a decade, using VoIP providers and virtual private networks to make themselves difficult to catch. The FBI issued a dispatch about the crime’s rising popularity in February 2008, noting that “individuals did it for the bragging rights and ego, versus any monetary gain.

Barriss orchestrated swattings from the library too. His most high-profile victim was Lisa Vannatta, a Canadian gamer known as STPeach who livestreams to more than 770,000 followers on the video platform Twitch. On December 22, Barriss contacted the Calgary police and pretended that he’d shot his father and was holding his mother and brother hostage inside Vannatta’s apartment. The police surrounded the building with a squad of vehicles—a situation that Vannatta only became aware of after calling a pizza delivery man to check on her order and learning that he couldn’t get her pie through the cordon. Barriss ultimately deemed the swatting a disappointment because Vannatta shut down her Twitch stream before he could watch the cops burst into her apartment. (“Going off stream when I swat you @STPeachy ruining my clout,” he grumbled on Twitter.) Vannatta, meanwhile, was traumatized by the experience; she spent months agonizing over what she might have said or done to merit such hateful treatment.
It Started as an Online Gaming Prank. Then It Turned Deadly _ WIRED

Old 02-12-2022, 06:35 AM

12,415 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I already posted this in the P&OC thread, but a plus side of all this is that many Americans now know that Ottawa is the capital of Canada!
True story!

Old 02-12-2022, 07:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
It is actually the government that is risking a lot over a useless vaccination. The vaccine only gives short term protection against severe disease. It does not stop infection or transmission. In fact there is some evidence that the vaccine makes it more likely to become infected with Covid.

https://stevekirsch.substack.com/p/n...ficacy-example

" triple vaccinated people in the UK are more likely to be hospitalized, not less likely. In other words, the vaccines are doing the opposite of what the health authorities claimed. Mandating vaccination is actually making the problem worse, not better."

The truckers do not believe the vaccine is harmless. They probably believe it is extremely dangerous if they are reading Steve Kirsch's websites. He claims the vaccines kill more people than they save and that there have been 150,000 American deaths from the vaccine.

https://www.skirsch.com/covid/Deaths.pdf

https://www.skirsch.com/covid/VRBPAC-10-26-21.pdf

https://stevekirsch.substack.com/?ut...bstack_profile

One might get an idea of the mindset of the protesters if they read red points 1 through 13 in this article, especially #6.

https://stevekirsch.substack.com/p/i...d-the-mandates

The best way to end the protests is to immediately drop all vaccine mandates. Other countries are ending mandates.

"Denmark recently announced that starting February 1, it will drop all mandates for vaccinations and face masks.

Boris Johnson recently declared an end to the COVID restrictions in the UK. He said, “We will trust the judgment of the English people.”

Freedom is very important to some people!
This is now and never was about freedom.

ALL the mandates enacted were for a temporary period and would have been retracted, as proven by being retracted before, and as they are now in any case due to waning numbers of cases and reduced hospitalizations.

The truckers are free to believe what they like, and to get the vaccination or not. Their choice.

Triple vaccinated people in countries with a higher percentage of people vaccinated are of course going to be represented in higher numbers at hospitals; there are just far more of them; HOWEVER the likelihood of them dying or suffering long hauler symptoms is far less than the unvaccinated. It's been explained ad-infinitum.

This is not some game where the word "freedom" trumps common sense, the rule of law and consideration for others.

Ask the thousands of other fully vaccinated truckers who were quite content to continue crossing the border until they were deprived of their freedom to do so by these so-called freedom believers if their freedom is of less import than these few whiners.

The topic truckers have been easily misled into giving the white supremacist leaders their desired exposure.

Dumbazzes without the facet of independent thought breaking the law while using blockades should not be in charge or control of anyone else's freedoms.

Elected officials are responsible for enacting temporary measures for the health and safety of all - full stop.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-12-2022 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-12-2022, 07:54 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
I don't know if anyone has made this parallel, but there on May 23, 2020 there were riots in Lansing, Michigan. Maybe this is just coincidence but that was when the dam broke and phased reopenings of life were announced for many "blue" states. I do not expect the Ottawa government to visibly cave, but I predict the restrictions will rapidly fall. People have a limited tolerance for boring, depressing life in a bubble.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:04 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
From an article dated today:
Quote:
Long-haul drivers can earn a living even if they are not vaxxed, despite claims by some protesters that being unvaxxed has cost them their livelihood, the Manitoba Trucking Association says

"I've seen ads recently as today for Canada-only drivers," said MTA executive director Aaron Dolyniuk, whose organization represents 60 to 75 per cent of trucks on the road in the province.

"I would say that there are lots of fleets actively recruiting drivers for Canada-only driving, which is not currently under any vaccine mandate."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tion-1.6348728

Old 02-12-2022, 08:29 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Is Pat King running out of money? His reaction, caught on video, upon being presented with a hotel bill for reimbursement:

https://twitter.com/Mike_L_Bailey/st...11468456435716
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada