Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2022, 02:11 AM

219 posts, read 160,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, that's nonsense, of course. Charter s. 6(1):

Emphasis added by me. Canada has no exit controls, unlike many countries I've visited--Spain, Greece, the UK, and Australia would be among them. How can the Canadian government prevent Canadians from leaving, when the Charter says otherwise, and there are no exit controls to prevent them from leaving, whether it be via land, sea, air or rail ports?

Heck, my brother-in-law is currently in Los Angeles on business. How could he be, if Canadians are not allowed to leave Canada?

I would suggest that your correspondent is full of stuff. Despite what some think, neither Trudeau nor Parliament can overturn the Charter. As a wise man once said of his constitution, "It's the biggest law we've got," and given that, no legislation that Trudeau introduces will change that. Canadians are free to leave Canada as they wish to, and have always been.
Oh, I know he is full of stuff. That's why I said I think he lives in another universe. But the problem is all of the Americans (and a high percentage of the talkers were Americans) will believe his stuff. From the tone of his voice, he believes his stuff.

The only people I know of who couldn't travel were unqualified according to the country they were travelling to, not because Canada said they couldn't go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 06:20 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Well, after taking an entire weekend to clear 25 protesters off the bridge, the Ambassador Bridge is now open and traffic flowing freely. But Emerson, MB / Pembina, ND and Coutts, AB / Sweet Grass, MT are still temporarily closed indefinitely.

Border wait times_ United States to Canada

Old 02-14-2022, 08:13 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Doug Ford announces fast tracking of lifting of restrictions including no more vaccine passport requirements effective 1 March
He is quoted in the Edmonton Star as saying this is due to the way Ontarians have responded to the omicron variant and is a sign of how far we have come together in the fight against the virus. it will be interesting to see of anyone spins this as being a response to demands from convoy protests. I think locally in Ottawa we are so fed up we dont care what the convoy thinks or says anymore they just need to go home
https://can01.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

Old 02-14-2022, 09:37 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Trudeau to invoke Emergency Measures Act https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ergency-powers

Old 02-14-2022, 09:59 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Doug Ford announces fast tracking of lifting of restrictions including no more vaccine passport requirements effective 1 March
He is quoted in the Edmonton Star as saying this is due to the way Ontarians have responded to the omicron variant and is a sign of how far we have come together in the fight against the virus. it will be interesting to see of anyone spins this as being a response to demands from convoy protests. I think locally in Ottawa we are so fed up we dont care what the convoy thinks or says anymore they just need to go home
https://can01.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0
I analogize this to the FLQ rebellion of October 1970. Of course Pierre Trudeau could not officially announce that he was largely giving in to FLQ demands, when the FLQ had kidnapped some ministers and murdered Pierre Laporte. What happened, though, is that the rebels were given safe passage to Cuba. Over the coming years, Quebec became a unilingual province and at the Federal level bilingualism made major advances.

I see that happening here. Restrictions will dissipate, and the truckers will largely have their demands granted, not officially but in slow motion.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:12 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I analogize this to the FLQ rebellion of October 1970. Of course Pierre Trudeau could not officially announce that he was largely giving in to FLQ demands, when the FLQ had kidnapped some ministers and murdered Pierre Laporte. What happened, though, is that the rebels were given safe passage to Cuba. Over the coming years, Quebec became a unilingual province and at the Federal level bilingualism made major advances.

I see that happening here. Restrictions will dissipate, and the truckers will largely have their demands granted, not officially but in slow motion.
Of course COVID restrictions will dissipate over time.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:27 AM

219 posts, read 160,900 times
Restrictions were expected to start lifting in BC next week anyways. They are already claiming credit for other stuff that was going to happen before they ever went to Ottawa. Can’t wait until they claim credit for the Women’s World Curling happening here in March.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:29 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
Restrictions were expected to start lifting in BC next week anyways. They are already claiming credit for other stuff that was going to happen before they ever went to Ottawa. Can’t wait until they claim credit for the Women’s World Curling happening here in March.
and the Canadian men's soccer team qualifying for the World Cup !!!

Old 02-14-2022, 12:00 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Of course COVID restrictions will dissipate over time.
I'm talking about a more meaningful, total lifting, as in restoration of 2019 conditions. If someone chooses to be idiots like those truckers are and not vaccinate, their lack of health is on them.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
I think when people claim false credit for stuff they knew would happen anyway they're doing it to gain personal credit for themselves from ignorant supporters in other non-local places who haven't got a clue what's really going on and don't have the sense to research or make enquiries about the truth. They're all only fooling themselves.

They are all the ones that I earlier likened to Howler Monkeys. All honking, hooting, woofing and howling a lot of hot air and big noise but they're so caught up in making noise that their intellectual and sensibility substance is shoved aside. That's what the organizers are counting on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada