Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2022, 11:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
No, not at all. I was responding to a prior post who said the government didn’t “seize” the assets, they just aren’t available to the owners while they are under investigation. Well, if that’s not a seizure, I don’t know what is.

Apparently many are ready to go straight to conviction and met out punishment without the presumption of innocence accorded under due process. And that is very scary.
There you go again with the suggestion "many" as though the "many" with opinions are running the show.

It's amazing that someone would actually suggest public opinion runs a long established legal system comprised of both Common and Civil Law. Someone needs to inform Osgoode Hall to stop cranking out lawyers.

We obviously won't need them if all that is required to convict someone or find them culpable is a bunch of Facebook trolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 12:06 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
RT is blatant, brazen propaganda why anyone believes any of this is mind boggling, it is like the national enquirer on TV
Earlier in this thread I said that I think RT has more credibility than Fox News. I take that back. I have seen some pretty good news articles from them, but they are going down hill fast. Their articles on this are pretty laughable.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:14 PM

2,397 posts, read 1,565,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Earlier in this thread I said that I think RT has more credibility than Fox News. I take that back. I have seen some pretty good news articles from them, but they are going down hill fast. Their articles on this are pretty laughable.
the bar is set very low when comparing journalistic standards to Fox News

Old 02-22-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Canadian authorities allegedly froze finances of single mom who donated $50 to protesters

https://katv.com/news/nation-world/c...-to-protesters

That's ok with you? Political protest counts as criminal activity?
Well if somebody Tweeted it, then it must be true. If she is really a single mother making minimum wage and she is giving large donations to right-wing extremists, she should probably be investigated just for that. A single mother making minimum wage is almost certainly getting some type of public assistance. I think that would be an abuse of that assistance, that should be going to her children.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:23 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Maybe appropriate to post this American apology here.

Dear People of Canada:

Hey there, friends. It's Rex down in the States. I've been reading about the hilariously titled "Freedom Convoy" of truckers and other assorted bumbleheads who are jamming streets in downtown Ottawa and other Canadian cities protesting COVID-19 vaccine mandates and public health measures.

Oh So sorry you're having to deal with that nonsense. And I apologize on behalf of my country, as it appears Canada has caught a bad case of the American stupids.

We've been dealing with it for a while now — anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers and anti-basic-politeness dodos excited they've finally found other selfish people unencumbered by rational thought. But I had no idea it was this contagious. As you all often say: "Sorry."

I doubt we'll ever figure out exactly how the American stupids made its way up to you all. Just recently we had an outbreak of anti-maskers threatening librarians here in the Chicago area, so it's certainly possible that particular strain of the stupids spread northward and pierced your border.

Our American fingerprints are all over the protests you're witnessing. This description from a Washington Post story says it all: "National monuments were defaced and protesters danced on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in some Ottawa protests. A Canadian flag featuring a swastika was spotted during television coverage of the protest and Shepherds of Good Hope, a soup kitchen, said staff members were 'harassed' and verbally assaulted with racial slurs."

Overtly racist white people defacing national monuments while simultaneously griping about how put upon they are when they are very much not put upon at all is kind of our thing. It was modeled in grand scale during the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol building, a deadly temper tantrum by pretend patriots in thrall to a noted huckster.

So it makes sense that last week Ottawa Police Chief Peter Sloly called the Canadian protests a "nationwide insurrection driven by madness" and said: "We are now aware of a significant element from the United States that has been involved in the funding, the organizing" of the, again, hilariously named "Freedom Convoy."

The whole mess started with ginned up anger over the U.S. and Canadian governments requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for truckers entering their countries. I say "ginned up" because the group representing Canadian truckers, the Canadian Trucking Alliance, has disavowed the protests and noted that most of its members are vaccinated.

To that point, most of us in America, like most of you all, are fine wearing masks to help slow the spread of a deadly virus and getting vaccinated to avoid hospitalization or death. The protests you all are seeing are just people in desperate need of a club that will have them opting to fend off the virus by hollering, blowing their truck horns and shouting incendiary nonsense.

A protester in Toronto named Robert, who bravely declined to give his last name, told Reuters: "We're all sick and tired of the mandates, of the intimidation, of living in one big prison. We just want to go back to normal without having to take into our veins the poison which they call vaccines."

Ah, yes, one big prison. Trust me, my Canadian brothers and sisters, we hear stuff like this all the time. I wish there was a vaccine that could protect you from the American stupids, but there's not. Screaming into a bag can help, but it's only a temporary fix.

If I had to guess, I'd say the dime-store con artists presently getting rich on destabilizing America are eager to do the same thing in your fine country, as their revenue streams bubble up from hot springs of chaos.

Focusing on the protest in Ottawa and noting police estimated the peak turnout there at somewhere between 8,000 and 15,000 people, Sandy Garossino of Canada's National Observer wrote: "For all the Sturm und Drang, the convoy is an extraordinarily weak national turnout in a country where 500,000 showed up to a climate march in Montreal. Or even 60,000 to a marijuana celebration in Vancouver. Absent the trucks, which are really just big, noisy props, it was essentially a national anti-vax rally, which has now turned so dangerous that police are afraid to break it up. The low turnout is even more surprising in the midst of massive American promotion by those in the Trump orbit, Fox News, Donald Trump Jr., Tucker Carlson, Mike Flynn, Joe Rogan and many others."

Small, loud and obnoxious. Yep, that's the American stupids, Canada. You've got a bad case, I'm afraid.

I'd offer to send some chicken noodle soup or something, but your protesters would likely erupt in claims that "a liberal fake news demon-worshiper is trying to mentally imprison Canadians by delivering vaccine-laden poison soup that will turn everyone into experts on critical race theory."

Maybe try the screaming into a bag thing. It does help.

Take good care.

Your American pal,

— Rex

Rex Huppke is a columnist for the Chicago Tribune and a noted hypocrisy enthusiast. You can email him at rhuppke@tribune.com or follow him on Twitter at @RexHuppke.)

Old 02-22-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
LOL, it is. But it looks like RT is making it under the bar. When RT started out they were pretty great. But the increasing interference from the Russian government is wrecking it.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:41 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well if somebody Tweeted it, then it must be true. If she is really a single mother making minimum wage and she is giving large donations to right-wing extremists, she should probably be investigated just for that. A single mother making minimum wage is almost certainly getting some type of public assistance. I think that would be an abuse of that assistance, that should be going to her children.
I hope it's fake, but I have seen heavy handed government crush small people before. I worked at a psych hospital and saw people spend years locked up for petty things. One guy threw a thermometer at a nurse and got diagnosed as paranoid and delusional. He spent the last 4 years of his life locked up in the psych hospital. They also were able to take over people's money and tell them what they could or couldn't spend it on.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:04 PM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
if you mean freezing bank accounts, should not all responsible democratic governments see to freeze financial aid to criminal activity, everyday folk who rallied on the hill have not had their accounts frozen, only those who have funded crime
How does the government ascertain that monies funded crime? And what crimes were committed beyond the misdemeanor of blocking roads?

And don’t make up fake hate crimes like the Canadian government has been doing to justify arrests.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I hope it's fake, but I have seen heavy handed government crush small people before. I worked at a psych hospital and saw people spend years locked up for petty things. One guy threw a thermometer at a nurse and got diagnosed as paranoid and delusional. He spent the last 4 years of his life locked up in the psych hospital. They also were able to take over people's money and tell them what they could or couldn't spend it on.
Evidence so far, and a bit of logic say it's not real.

Second, if it were true, and people who donated small sums, would also have their accounts frozen, and there would be a lot more stories...hundreds maybe?

So far we have one.

EDIT:

So there we have it. It's official, the MP is a fool.

"The RCMP, banking sector and federal government said Monday that account-freezing powers bestowed under the Emergencies Act to help authorities deal with convoy protests do not affect donors to the protests, despite unsubstantiated claims by a Conservative MP that a constituent had her bank account frozen over a $50 contribution."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...have-accounts/

Old 02-22-2022, 03:37 PM

2,397 posts, read 1,565,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
How does the government ascertain that monies funded crime? And what crimes were committed beyond the misdemeanor of blocking roads?

And don’t make up fake hate crimes like the Canadian government has been doing to justify arrests.
Illegal blockades of roads where the economy both local or national suffers is enough This is easy enough to prove, the threat of insurrection and attempted overthink a democratically elected government is also something being investigated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada