Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 02:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Fascinating! What do you think an independent West would look like? Or else, what are the possible scenarios for the western future?
Well, you can't count BC as one of those independents since it isn't actually interested, it's only Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba that has some people who want to go the independent route. But if those 3 provinces did do that then what they'd look like can be summed up in one or two words.

Abashed and regretful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 02:56 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, you can't count BC as one of those independents since it isn't actually interested, it's only Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba that has some people who want to go the independent route. But if those 3 provinces did do that then what they'd look like can be summed up in one or two words.

Abashed and regretful.

Don’t include Manitoba either. Passionate Northern clearly doesn’t understand the reason for Heather Stefanson’s low approval rating or the politics in the province.

Without Manitoba, that leaves two completely landlocked provinces.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:49 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Don’t include Manitoba either. Passionate Northern clearly doesn’t understand the reason for Heather Stefanson’s low approval rating or the politics in the province.

Without Manitoba, that leaves two completely landlocked provinces.
And you might as well not include Alberta in those. For as much as an above poster said:

Quote:
Movements such as Alberta Prosperity Project, United Grassroots and.Free Alberta Strategy have been gaining momentum. Wexit Movement morphed into several political party entities such as Maverick Party (federally), Buffalo Party (Sasktchewan), Wildrose Independence Party (Alberta), Wexit BC (B.C.) and Keystone Party (Manitoba).
I'm reminded of nothing more than "Monty Python's Life of Brian," where the People's Front of Judea states that it is definitely not the Judean People's Front. "Which is that guy over there." as one character says, pointing at one guy.

In other words, these are fringe (and I'm being generous) movements of a few people at most. The Maverick Party is not a registered political party, and it's leader, Tamara Lich, is under house arrest in Medicine Hat for her participation in the Ottawa trucker's convoy. I'm in Alberta, and never heard of the Alberta Prosperity Project, United Grassroots, Free Alberta Strategy, or Wildrose Independence. Nobody I know, here in Alberta, has. I'm left to conclude that these are some malcontents who are trying to speak with a bigger voice than they actually have. Judean People's Front, anyone?

To be honest, I'm left feeling that the "Albertan People's Front," (fictional, but go with it) is three guys in one guy's mother's basement and are online; and just making stuff up, in order to stir stuff up.

I know some extremely conservative friends, who are convinced that Justin Trudeau and the Liberals are destroying this country, but they've never mentioned any of the above "parties" or movements as our hope for the future. If my friends have heard of them, which I doubt (none ever makes the news, and even I, here in Alberta, have never heard of such parties or movements prior to that post), they might regard them as I do: so far to the fringe as to be inconsequential. My friends do, however, support the mainstream Conservatives. That's okay, it's a free country, and they can.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 05-04-2022 at 01:03 AM..

Old 05-04-2022, 07:35 AM

Succinctly said CS. I think "three guys in one guy's mother's basement" pretty much sums it up. They are fringe groups that not a lot of people take seriously.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
The Peoples Party of Canada, led by Maxime Bernier former conservative MP

appealing to the libertarians, but not the librarians
AND perhaps also not the brightest bulb in the string of patio lights around the porch of his single wide:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/berni...reach-1.723124

Old 05-04-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Succinctly said CS. I think "three guys in one guy's mother's basement" pretty much sums it up. They are fringe groups that not a lot of people take seriously..
The cautionary aspect of this issue though is not to take it lightly when these types of movements, however insignificant they might be, receive a venue to express themselves such as the WWW.

The danger becomes one of people in the east coming to think the West universally hate them and vice-versa. Even benign backyard BBQ discussions then reflect this pattern as 'all inclusive' of one group or another.

We have to remain vigilant that groups like Lich's don't gain traction by attracting those who perceive themselves as dis-enfranchised among us - a fast growing demographic with each passing news day.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:51 AM

Good point Bru, very true.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:09 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,770,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The cautionary aspect of this issue though is not to take it lightly when these types of movements, however insignificant they might be, receive a venue to express themselves such as the WWW.

The danger becomes one of people in the east coming to think the West universally hate them and vice-versa. Even benign backyard BBQ discussions then reflect this pattern as 'all inclusive' of one group or another.

We have to remain vigilant that groups like Lich's don't gain traction by attracting those who perceive themselves as dis-enfranchised among us - a fast growing demographic with each passing news day.
Can Lich be licked?

Old 05-04-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Can Lich be licked?
Metaphorically speaking of course she can.

Keep it clean Sues - keep it clean -

Old 05-04-2022, 01:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Totally agree. I have yet to meet a western separatist, because they are rare.

Propaganda and the seemingly ease at which ignorance spreads quickly these days, is cause for concern.

Even the benign. One person posts something as fact...many read it, believe it, and pass that incorrect information on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada