Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 02:52 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We have that in the U.S. as well, though. Writ drop is not a U.S. term, since there's no GG or Monarch to approach with a writ.
There's no need for a writ-drop in the US. You folks have fixed terms; we all know when the elections are going to be. The US Constitution tells us about terms, and we can plot them on a calendar; even twenty or forty years out.

As you undoubtedly know, JBG, a Canadian government can only last five years, tops. Most don't, since they ask for an election before that, usually (but not always) at the four-year mark. Regardless, the Government will ask for the G-G to "drop the writ" at some point--usually after four years and after the Government has tailored their policies to appeal to the people, and so they're doing well in the polls and hope to be re-elected--and we get a new election.

This cannot happen in your system of fixed elections. Thus, there is no need to drop a writ to call an election in your system. In ours, there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 11:10 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
There's no need for a writ-drop in the US. You folks have fixed terms; we all know when the elections are going to be. The US Constitution tells us about terms, and we can plot them on a calendar; even twenty or forty years out.

As you undoubtedly know, JBG, a Canadian government can only last five years, tops. Most don't, since they ask for an election before that, usually (but not always) at the four-year mark. Regardless, the Government will ask for the G-G to "drop the writ" at some point--usually after four years and after the Government has tailored their policies to appeal to the people, and so they're doing well in the polls and hope to be re-elected--and we get a new election.

This cannot happen in your system of fixed elections. Thus, there is no need to drop a writ to call an election in your system. In ours, there is.
Excuse my ignorance but isn't there now a fixed-term law that mandates elections every four years, except of course with minority governments. Thus, Harper did "drop the writ" for the October 2015 election even though that date, if I recall correctly, was already cast in stone. On a different note, in the U.S. we have "special elections" for vacant seats, under rules set by states. But in general you are right.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:39 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but isn't there now a fixed-term law that mandates elections every four years, except of course with minority governments. Thus, Harper did "drop the writ" for the October 2015 election even though that date, if I recall correctly, was already cast in stone. On a different note, in the U.S. we have "special elections" for vacant seats, under rules set by states. But in general you are right.
Instead of Special Elections ours are called by-election

Old 06-23-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Instead of Special Elections ours are called by-election
Are those set by the province for Federal elections? Excuse my ignorance about Canada.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Are those set by the province for Federal elections? Excuse my ignorance about Canada.
No elections are ran by the government where the seat is up for grabs. Federal for House of Commons and Provincial for provincial legislature. The Prime Minister or the Premier calls for the by-elections.

All Federal Elections are ran by Elections Canada and the Provincial ones by things like Elections Alberta or Saskatchewan.

All elections are operated by these Crown Agencies and registering to vote is also done by them. Also different is being in prison or having been convicted of a crime does not take away your right to vote.

Also the Prime Minister and the Premiers are not elected by the general public but are elected in their own ridings (districts) and are the leader of the party that won the most seats. Sometimes the leader of a party has not been elected in their home riding and often then runs in a by-election.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Also the Prime Minister and the Premiers are not elected by the general public but are elected in their own ridings (districts) and are the leader of the party that won the most seats. Sometimes the leader of a party has not been elected in their home riding and often then runs in a by-election.
Didn't John Turner need a riding when he was party leader and became PM in 1984 for his long and consequential mandate?

Old 06-23-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
That law is pretty toothless. In a parliamentary system, you cannot mandate "October, every four years." What if the government loses a vote of confidence with two years left to go? We're not going without a government for two years. There are a few approaches to take if this occurs, but most often, a new election would be called for whenever is most expedient.

For that matter, look what happened last year. For no particular reason, Trudeau called an election only two years into his mandate. He didn't wait two further years to fulfill a four-year term, just because some law said he had to. For that matter, the election of 2021 was not in October--it was in September.

Besides, the constitutional mandate is five years. If four years go by, and no election is called, it doesn't matter. The constitution trumps the law, and if the government wishes to continue into a four-and-a-half year or a five-year mandate despite that law, it can. In short, this law is basically unenforceable.

Canadian federal elections are traditionally held in the spring or the fall. For practical reasons mostly; winter weather can make it difficult to get to the polls, and voters are on vacation in summer. However, I do recall one in winter: when Joe Clark's government fell in December 1979. We subsequently went to the polls in February, 1980. This was long prior to the law you're asking about, of course, but even so, we couldn't afford to go without a government until spring. Similarly, despite that law, Canada must have a government, and if what it takes is to elect one prior to October four years hence, or after October four years hence (as the constitution says can happen), it will be done, in spite of that law.

Incidentally, a by-election is not as has been described. A by-election is used when a member must give up his or her seat, for whatever reason. It might be death, or an incapacity of some sort, or just wanting to retire. One reason that always causes a by-election occurs when a new House convenes, and selects a speaker from among the members. The new speaker gives up his or her seat, and a by-election will be held in his or her riding to fill that seat. Anyway, should a by-election be necessary, then no matter the time of year, the by-election will be held in that member's riding only, to elect a new member.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
That law is pretty toothless. In a parliamentary system, you cannot mandate "October, every four years." What if the government loses a vote of confidence with two years left to go? We're not going without a government for two years. There are a few approaches to take if this occurs, but most often, a new election would be called for whenever is most expedient.
Can a government lose a confidence vote in a majority government? Note the way I worded it.

Quote:
For that matter, look what happened last year. For no particular reason, Trudeau called an election only two years into his mandate. He didn't wait two further years to fulfill a four-year term, just because some law said he had to. For that matter, the election of 2021 was not in October--it was in September.
Harper did that as well but weren't both in minority governments? And doesn't the GG give the Opposition Leader a chance to form a government, a la King-Byng? I know that normally that opportunity isn't taken but isn't it at least afforded?

Quote:
Besides, the constitutional mandate is five years. If four years go by, and no election is called, it doesn't matter. The constitution trumps the law, and if the government wishes to continue into a four-and-a-half year or a five-year mandate despite that law, it can. In short, this law is basically unenforceable.
True that. Was the PCPC government elected in 1988 the only one that went well beyond the four year mark?

Quote:
Canadian federal elections are traditionally held in the spring or the fall. For practical reasons mostly; winter weather can make it difficult to get to the polls, and voters are on vacation in summer. However, I do recall one in winter: when Joe Clark's government fell in December 1979. We subsequently went to the polls in February, 1980. This was long prior to the law you're asking about, of course, but even so, we couldn't afford to go without a government until spring. Similarly, despite that law, Canada must have a government, and if what it takes is to elect one prior to October four years hence, or after October four years hence (as the constitution says can happen), it will be done, in spite of that law.
I'm not sure on dates but didn't Paul Martin's government all in November 2005, and elections were held January 2006?

Quote:
Incidentally, a by-election is not as has been described. A by-election is used when a member must give up his or her seat, for whatever reason. It might be death, or an incapacity of some sort, or just wanting to retire. One reason that always causes a by-election occurs when a new House convenes, and selects a speaker from among the members. The new speaker gives up his or her seat, and a by-election will be held in his or her riding to fill that seat. Anyway, should a by-election be necessary, then no matter the time of year, the by-election will be held in that member's riding only, to elect a new member.
Interesting wrinkle. Didn't Harper use a Liberal speaker in 2006 to avoid cutting further into his party's strength?

Old 06-23-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Are you sure that the Speaker resigns his or her seat? As far as I remember when we had a provincial NDP government the speaker was from our riding and I think he kept his seat.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Are you sure that the Speaker resigns his or her seat? As far as I remember when we had a provincial NDP government the speaker was from our riding and I think he kept his seat.
Yes, I'm sure. The reason is that the Speaker must necessarily be neutral. The Speaker, by definition, has no vote, except in the case of a tie. One cannot occupy a house seat with a vote, and the speaker's chair, which has none, at the same time. The respective roles are at odds with each other.

Beyond that, the Speaker's job is similar to that of a meeting chair. He or she keeps order, makes sure that everybody who wants to say something has the chance to say it, no matter what side they are on, and otherwise run the meeting according to the rules. It's not a job that can be done if the Speaker has any partisan allegiance.

Quote:
Can a government lose a confidence vote in a majority government? Note the way I worded it.
I did note that, and yes, it is theoretically possible, though I don't think it has ever happened. Maybe I should actually say "yes and no"; see the example below:

We have a 308 seat House of Commons, so 155 seats gives a majority. The Alpha Party gets 155 seats, a majority, and forms the government. The Beta, Gamma, and Delta Parties make up the opposition, which has 153 seats. And the Betas make up most of the opposition, so they lead the opposition.

Now, the Alphas introduce a piece of legislation that some Alphas disagree with, and no matter how hard the party whip tries, three Alphas still refuse to support it. They end up "crossing the floor," and sitting with the opposition as Independents. Final score: Alphas, 152; Opposition, 156. And the opposition can now defeat the government.

I suppose it could be argued that the Alpha majority government has become an Alpha minority government after the loss of three members, but at this point, I'd suggest that we're splitting hairs. So, to answer your question: "yes and no."

Quote:
Harper did that as well but weren't both in minority governments? And doesn't the GG give the Opposition Leader a chance to form a government, a la King-Byng? I know that normally that opportunity isn't taken but isn't it at least afforded?
The GG can, but doesn't have to; it is an option, but is not required by law or tradition. Having never been the GG, I'm only guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the GG looked at the mood of the people. If they seem to want an election (see December 1979), that will happen. If they seem to be discontented with the government, but would be happy with the opposition, then that will happen. But for the most part, elections have always occurred, without consulting the opposition as to the alternative.

Quote:
True that. Was the PCPC government elected in 1988 the only one that went well beyond the four year mark?
The key words here are "well beyond." Yes, Brian Mulroney's PCs nearly ran out the five-year mandate in 1993, asking for the dissolution of the government some weeks shy of five years. At the provincial level, Bob Rae's NDP government did the same thing in 1995.

Other governments have gone a little past four years, maybe four years and a month or two, but nobody has stretched it out the way Mulroney and Rae did.

Quote:
I'm not sure on dates but didn't Paul Martin's government all in November 2005, and elections were held January 2006?
Honestly, I cannot remember, but I'm sure that info is available somewhere.

Quote:
Interesting wrinkle. Didn't Harper use a Liberal speaker in 2006 to avoid cutting further into his party's strength?
See my remarks to badlander, above. Even if Harper had put a Conservative in the Speaker's role, it wouldn't necessarily diminish his party's strength. If the voters in the Speaker's riding had voted in a Conservative, they will likely vote in a Conservative in the resulting by-election.

Phew! That's a lot. But I hope I answered your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada