Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 08:57 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

The GoFundMe page was organized by Tamara Lich. She’s a member of the Maverick party, which wants the Western provinces to separate from Canada.

So there may be a larger political agenda at play here.

( source: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...576129672.html - may be behind a paywall.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 09:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Yup, there's a paywall there.

A hidden agenda wouldn't surprise me.

I don't want the western provinces to separate from the rest of Canada. No way!

Old 01-27-2022, 10:29 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The GoFundMe page was organized by Tamara Lich. She’s a member of the Maverick party, which wants the Western provinces to separate from Canada.

( source: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...576129672.html - may be behind a paywall.)
If Lich’s the Bandit, is Trudeau Smokey?

Old 01-27-2022, 11:30 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:

So basically they have a GoFundMe to collect money to fund a bunch of trucks to drive across the country in a protest to generate hatred of the current government over nothing. With the hopes that will leave the door open for their alt-right take over of the government.

That article makes me think back a couple weeks ago to a great comment I heard from a Canadian woman, when asked about the one year anniversary of the attempt to overthrow the US government. She said, "I don't have anything to say about that, other then the fact I'm happy to live in a country that is far less likely to be overthrown by a right-wing dictator". Yeah, want to make a bet on that? It's coming, unfortunately.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:15 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So basically they have a GoFundMe to collect money to fund a bunch of trucks to drive across the country in a protest to generate hatred of the current government over nothing. With the hopes that will leave the door open for their alt-right take over of the government.

That article makes me think back a couple weeks ago to a great comment I heard from a Canadian woman, when asked about the one year anniversary of the attempt to overthrow the US government. She said, "I don't have anything to say about that, other then the fact I'm happy to live in a country that is far less likely to be overthrown by a right-wing dictator". Yeah, want to make a bet on that? It's coming, unfortunately.
LOL - there’s a big difference between wanting to take control of the government and wanting to divorce from a country.

As far as taking control of government is concerned, our two systems of government are quite different.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:39 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
With the hopes that will leave the door open for their alt-right take over of the government.
Well, we don't really have an "alt-right." Oh, there are a few nutters who lean that way, but not enough to make any difference. Our Conservative Party is slightly right-of-centre (in Canadian terms, which makes them probably like American centrist Democrats), our Liberal Party is slightly left-of-that-centre, and our New Democratic Party is further left of the Liberals, but not by much nowadays. The Bloc Quebecois only runs in Quebec, but gets a good number of seats in the federal Parliament (and doesn't really lean either way; it leans in whatever way is best for Quebec), and the Green Party has one or two seats (in a 308-seat federal Commons), so while it might be represented, its voice is not very loud. And then there are the fringe parties: the Communists, the Marxist-Leninists, the Christian Heritage, the People's Party (now there's an alt-right party, whose candidates lost in every riding they ran in, in last year's election) and so on; all of whom run serious candidates, but never get in.

As you can imagine, with so many parties represented in Parliament, debates are quite spirited, and Question Period is the best part of the show. Imagine if Mr. Biden or even better, Ms. Pelosi, had to answer questions put to them, day after day after day, by their political opposition. Not the media, but by politicians on the other side of the aisle. That's what Justin Trudeau (or a delegate, now that he's isolating himself), or his ministers, have to do, daily.

The point is that with so many parties in Parliament, and so many others waiting in the wings, Canada's political discourse cannot be split along Red Liberal and Blue Conservative (our colours are reversed; I'd suggest that you just go with it), not to mention the Orange NDP and the Greens. Rather, we are shades of grey. Yes, we have some alt-rightists. And we have some alt-leftists. And we have some middle-of-the-roaders. And we have some who really don't care, as long as everybody is allowed to get service in French on Air Canada, on Via Rail, and in national parks. And we have some who want to tax the rich in order to give to the poor; and on the opposite side, we have some who believe in Reagan's "trickle down" theory. And we have some who believe a Christian theocracy is best for Canada, and those who believe that Canada should be Muslim, and so on and so on and so on.

If it sounds like a mess, that's because it is. That's what it was designed to be. Hundreds of years ago in England, people would gather on the village common to talk, and together, figure out how they could best move forward together. They didn't have political parties, but they talked. (Fun Fact: the root of "parliament" is the French word, "parler," meaning "to speak.") That's the root of our House of Commons, and even today, the House of Commons' carpets are green, to remind members of the green grass upon which the early Parliamentarians met.

If you're hoping for an alt-right takeover of Canada's federal government, you'll be waiting a long while. There are too few of them contending for space among the many voices clamoring to be heard, too many points-of-view that have the right to speak, and too many issues that require input from all sides. If you're looking for a Republican/Democrat divide, as the US has, you won't find it in Canada. We have too many voices.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 01-28-2022 at 01:47 AM..

Old 01-28-2022, 05:36 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
I think its a real shame this convoy seems to have been "hi-jacked" by people with an extremist political agenda

the original beef about the vaccine mandate was a valid question concern for some in the industry ( personally i dont agree BUT) I defend their right to voice their concerns, yet this has manifested into something uglier and bigger with parliamentary security officials now warning MPs to be vigilant at home as there have been attempts by some of these protesters to publish home addresses of MPs

Old 01-28-2022, 06:28 AM

5,102 posts, read 2,047,097 times
Quote:

Seems there's something new about the GoFundMe.
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...access-freedom

Now, if you excuse me, it's time for me to enjoy that classic movie "Convoy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS9MW9IIqJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgyPg5DydSI

Old 01-28-2022, 09:52 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, we don't really have an "alt-right." Oh, there are a few nutters who lean that way, but not enough to make any difference. Our Conservative Party is slightly right-of-centre (in Canadian terms, which makes them probably like American centrist Democrats), our Liberal Party is slightly left-of-that-centre, and our New Democratic Party is further left of the Liberals, but not by much nowadays. The Bloc Quebecois only runs in Quebec, but gets a good number of seats in the federal Parliament (and doesn't really lean either way; it leans in whatever way is best for Quebec), and the Green Party has one or two seats (in a 308-seat federal Commons), so while it might be represented, its voice is not very loud. And then there are the fringe parties: the Communists, the Marxist-Leninists, the Christian Heritage, the People's Party (now there's an alt-right party, whose candidates lost in every riding they ran in, in last year's election) and so on; all of whom run serious candidates, but never get in..
I was just going by the headline said, Convoy gathers far-right support. The article makes it sound like he same type of anti-science, anti-immigrant right-wing BS that's sweeping the US. It sounds dangerous to me.

Quote:
These groups should not be written off as mere protests in the heat of the pandemic moment. In the United States and in Canada, researchers are concerned that far-right extremists are seizing on the anti-vaccination movement as a way to exploit their own agenda. In the U.S., the movement gained steam politically, aligning itself with the Tea Party and other far-right activists as part of a political action committee, pushing for religious exemptions and other legislation to hamper the spread of vaccines.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:21 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
It will only come to be dangerous when and if they block the normal day to day operations of a city by doing something illegal and the police are required to address it.

All of the bumpf you can read about this in the thread created in the P&OC section is referring to "strikes" etc., and a loss of shipping volume so that we're all left starving in it's wake. With the vast majority of truckers already vaccinated in Canada, I hardly think we need to take the padlocks off our bunkers and prep then for the end-of-times.

Truckers have a particular skill set but, it's not anything like a four year apprenticeship to gain certification. We're talking a couple of weeks at the most and less for smarter ones. From my RV'ing days when I was required by virtue of my tow vehicle being a class 7 tractor and my total combined rolling weight being just under 40,000lbs at that time when the STUPID Ontario reg's required I have a full CDL-AZ and keep a log book showing my daily inspections and hours of operation, ALONG with having to purchase a CVOR number and display on my lower driver's door (I bought a magnet decal for that and pulled it off as soon as I crossed into sanity land) regardless if I was a private RV'er NOT operating "in commerce"; I can readily attest to there being no shortage of professional drivers who can and will take up the slack created by the very FEW beeeatching over an arm jab or two.

The very few companies that come up short of cross border truckers will just have to sweeten the pot and you can bet your bippy there will be plenty of applicants stepping up to the plate.

Owner operators beware; if this be the hill you choose to die upon, you're gonna need a lot of Canada only and day trips to make up the slack for that next truck payment. You're going to be in direct competition with 85% of your confreres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada