U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2022, 10:27 AM

13,141 posts, read 11,666,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I was just going by the headline said, Convoy gathers far-right support. The article makes it sound like he same type of anti-science, anti-immigrant right-wing BS that's sweeping the US. It sounds dangerous to me.
I think that's mostly in reference to the far-right support that it's getting from the American far-right media and talking heads and social media in USA which takes this sort of thing to a whole different level of extreme. I've been reading about it on some other right-wing American forums and they can barely contain themselves. Those folks are so excited and worked up about it they're just drooling over it and practically peeing in their pants. You'd think they were witnessing the new coming of Jesus and the Rapture the way they're carrying on.

Additionally, many of the trucks/drivers in the convoy are American truckers that crossed the border into Canada before January 22nd to join the convoy, so they are getting support from the states too.

But you're right, it is similar to the same type of anti-science, anti-everything extreme right-wing BS that's been sweeping the US.

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 10:35 AM

2,494 posts, read 1,413,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think that's mostly in reference to the far-right support that it's getting from the American far-right media and talking heads and social media in USA which takes this sort of thing to a whole different level of extreme. I've been reading about it on some other right-wing American forums and they can barely contain themselves. Those folks are so excited and worked up about it they're just drooling over it and practically peeing in their pants. You'd think they were witnessing the new coming of Jesus and the Rapture the way they're carrying on.

Additionally, many of the trucks/drivers in the convoy are American truckers that crossed the border into Canada before January 22nd to join the convoy, so they are getting support from the states too.

But you're right, it is similar to the same type of anti-science, anti-everything extreme right-wing BS that's been sweeping the US.

Hasn’t Snopes debunked the story of American truckers involved in this?
You think they are going to try to storm Parliament? Maybe with curling brooms? Will Mad Max tell them to “fight like ell”?

Old 01-28-2022, 11:16 AM

7,376 posts, read 7,096,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Hasn’t Snopes debunked the story of American truckers involved in this?
You think they are going to try to storm Parliament? Maybe with curling brooms? Will Mad Max tell them to “fight like ell”?

You seemed pretty excited about it. LOL

Old 01-28-2022, 11:42 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,152,555 times
I shook my my head in astonishment when I read this earlier today:
Quote:
One of the main groups behind the protest is Canada Unity which has opposed what it says are “unconstitutional” Covid rules. The group recently posted a “memorandum of understanding” to its website, saying that members plan to present it to politicians on Parliament Hill. The group claims that the leader of the senate and the governor general will sign the document to create a governing committee, which they claim would work to revoke the vaccine mandate.

“This document is largely incomprehensible and is completely divorced from our political reality,” said Davis.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...est-government

Delusional.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:57 AM

17,195 posts, read 12,717,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, we don't really have an "alt-right." Oh, there are a few nutters who lean that way, but not enough to make any difference. Our Conservative Party is slightly right-of-centre (in Canadian terms, which makes them probably like American centrist Democrats), our Liberal Party is slightly left-of-that-centre, and our New Democratic Party is further left of the Liberals, but not by much nowadays. The Bloc Quebecois only runs in Quebec, but gets a good number of seats in the federal Parliament (and doesn't really lean either way; it leans in whatever way is best for Quebec), and the Green Party has one or two seats (in a 308-seat federal Commons), so while it might be represented, its voice is not very loud. And then there are the fringe parties: the Communists, the Marxist-Leninists, the Christian Heritage, the People's Party (now there's an alt-right party, whose candidates lost in every riding they ran in, in last year's election) and so on; all of whom run serious candidates, but never get in.

As you can imagine, with so many parties represented in Parliament, debates are quite spirited, and Question Period is the best part of the show. Imagine if Mr. Biden or even better, Ms. Pelosi, had to answer questions put to them, day after day after day, by their political opposition. Not the media, but by politicians on the other side of the aisle. That's what Justin Trudeau (or a delegate, now that he's isolating himself), or his ministers, have to do, daily.

The point is that with so many parties in Parliament, and so many others waiting in the wings, Canada's political discourse cannot be split along Red Liberal and Blue Conservative (our colours are reversed; I'd suggest that you just go with it), not to mention the Orange NDP and the Greens. Rather, we are shades of grey. Yes, we have some alt-rightists. And we have some alt-leftists. And we have some middle-of-the-roaders. And we have some who really don't care, as long as everybody is allowed to get service in French on Air Canada, on Via Rail, and in national parks. And we have some who want to tax the rich in order to give to the poor; and on the opposite side, we have some who believe in Reagan's "trickle down" theory. And we have some who believe a Christian theocracy is best for Canada, and those who believe that Canada should be Muslim, and so on and so on and so on.

If it sounds like a mess, that's because it is. That's what it was designed to be. Hundreds of years ago in England, people would gather on the village common to talk, and together, figure out how they could best move forward together. They didn't have political parties, but they talked. (Fun Fact: the root of "parliament" is the French word, "parler," meaning "to speak.") That's the root of our House of Commons, and even today, the House of Commons' carpets are green, to remind members of the green grass upon which the early Parliamentarians met.

If you're hoping for an alt-right takeover of Canada's federal government, you'll be waiting a long while. There are too few of them contending for space among the many voices clamoring to be heard, too many points-of-view that have the right to speak, and too many issues that require input from all sides. If you're looking for a Republican/Democrat divide, as the US has, you won't find it in Canada. We have too many voices.
Imagine if Trump had to.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:57 AM

1,708 posts, read 875,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

Delusional.
just had a quick look at the MOU, someone better tell them we are currently in the year 2022

Old 01-28-2022, 12:00 PM

17,195 posts, read 12,717,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

Delusional.
Elon Musk?

Old 01-28-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
just had a quick look at the MOU, someone better tell them we are currently in the year 2022
In the year 2022
More than COVID and the flu
Now some Trumpy truckers
Are coming for yooooooooou

Old 01-28-2022, 12:19 PM

1,708 posts, read 875,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
In the year 2022
More than COVID and the flu
Now some Trumpy truckers
Are coming for yooooooooou
an anagram of zager and evans is
v sane dangers

Old 01-28-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
an anagram of zager and evans is
v sane dangers
Glad you remember the song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada