U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 12:56 PM

205 posts, read 98,001 times

Advertisements

On Tuesday morning I took my kids down to the TransCanada highway (I live about 45 minutes North of it in Saskatchewan) and we cheered on the convoy. It was -34 with the windchill being -44 which was a tad too brisk and dampered things a smidge but I'm happy I went. We are planning on attending a protest at the provincial legislature on Saturday which should be awesome. I think a lot of people will be going. Seeing the countless videos of the convoys going through the various communities and seeing all the people standing at the roadsides to cheer the convoy on keeps bringing tears to my eyes. Have any of you on here gone to see the convoy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 01:04 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,409,012 times
‘Cause we got a great big convoy
Rockin’ through the ice.
Yeah we got a great big convoy
We’re all polite and nice.
Come on and join out convoy
COVID won’t get in our way
We’re gonna roll this truckin’ convoy
Across Canada, eh.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:01 PM

3,367 posts, read 4,515,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateNortherner View Post
On Tuesday morning I took my kids down to the TransCanada highway (I live about 45 minutes North of it in Saskatchewan) and we cheered on the convoy. It was -34 with the windchill being -44 which was a tad too brisk and dampered things a smidge but I'm happy I went. We are planning on attending a protest at the provincial legislature on Saturday which should be awesome. I think a lot of people will be going. Seeing the countless videos of the convoys going through the various communities and seeing all the people standing at the roadsides to cheer the convoy on keeps bringing tears to my eyes. Have any of you on here gone to see the convoy?
I drove a stretch of the 401 through Toronto near the tail end of the convoy this afternoon and there were big crowds at every overpass. Islington, Weston, Keele, Don Mills, Victoria Park, Warden... I hear the biggest crowd was up by the staging area at Vaughan Mills, but the biggest crowd along the 401 was at Keele so I stopped there for a bit. Even though we were only getting the stragglers from the convoy (the main convoy had passed 3-4 hours earlier), we were still getting a lot of honks from truckers that weren't part of the convoy (just at work hauling their cargo) as well as a lot of honks from random commuters. The cold wasn't too bad (-4C with -10C windchill) but it was still pretty awesome.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:08 PM

It’s a shame Stompin’ Tom isn’t around to write a song about this.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:18 PM

6,728 posts, read 8,053,227 times
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fr...nvoy-guinness/

Old 01-27-2022, 07:24 PM

186 posts, read 100,755 times
From some of the Facebook posts that came up on my feed, I would guess that the trucks that left here to meet up with the Vancouver convoy had a sendoff. I see no value in this protest so I would not have gone even if I knew about it.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:06 PM

13,129 posts, read 11,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Thanks for posting that.

I am so sick and tired of all the lies and false information being posted on social media. 50,000 indeed !! ........ what a crock of lies that is. There hasn't even been a count yet.

The freedom convoy doesn't represent the majority of Canadian truckers. The majority (85%) of Canadian truck drivers happily got their vaccines months ago and they're going about their daily business as usual. They don't support the convoy and they're staying out of this event and refusing to comment to the press about it. The Canadian Truckers Alliance doesn't support the convoy either and has publicly denounced and spoken out against it.

I'm starting to think there should be a mandate against anti-mandaters and irresponsible social media and all the lies and panic they're stirring up.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks for posting that.

I am so sick and tired of all the lies and false information being posted on social media. 50,000 indeed !! ........ what a crock of lies that is. There hasn't even been a count yet.

The freedom convoy doesn't represent the majority of Canadian truckers. The majority (85%) of Canadian truck drivers happily got their vaccines months ago and they're going about their daily business as usual. They don't support the convoy and they're staying out of this event and refusing to comment to the press about it. The Canadian Truckers Alliance doesn't support the convoy either and has publicly denounced and spoken out against it.

I'm starting to think there should be a mandate against anti-mandaters and irresponsible social media and all the lies and panic they're stirring up.

What’s the leader’s handle, the Rubber Beaver?
There is probably dark money behind this - dark as a January night on the prairies.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 PM

7,376 posts, read 7,092,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
It’s a shame Stompin’ Tom isn’t around to write a song about this.
yeah... a song about how stupid they are.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:35 PM

13,129 posts, read 11,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
What’s the leader’s handle, the Rubber Beaver?
There is probably dark money behind this - dark as a January night on the prairies.
The go fund me they started up has apparently already raised $6.2 million but the official GoFundMe crowdfunding platform has released $1 million and frozen the rest of the funds for now due to lack of transparency. GoFundMe said it was holding back the funds until it received more details about the group and its financial management.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gof...nvoy-1.6328029

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada