Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 07:21 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is chinese about that particular pate?
Apparently the name comes from when French Canadians observed Chinese railway workers in the late 1800s mixing various ingredients to make this dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm a little puzzled as to why pork and beans, and shepherd's pie, are considered French-Canadian. They were staples in my English-speaking, wannabe-British home (don't ask), as they were in the homes of my friends in Toronto, when I was younger. Indeed, pork and beans (i.e. baked beans) are a staple in American BBQ cuisine, and shepherd's pie is on the menu of nearly every British-style pub in North America. Shepherd's pie is easily cooked in English-speaking homes in the United States and Canada, as it has been for years--my American ex-wife could whip one up in very little time, if she had the ingredients, as she had done it so often back in Colorado.

How are they considered French-Canadian cuisine? I'm not saying that they are not; and certainly French-Canadians can cook and enjoy them too, but as per the OP, are they really "traditional ... Quebecois meals"?
It depends on the ingredients in it.

Without getting bogged down in too many details, if you have corn in it, it's not really shepherd's pie. It's pâté chinois.

Pâté chinois generally has lots and lots of corn in it.

Shepherd's pie isn't supposed to have any corn.

There are some other ingredient differences too.

But generally speaking, if what you are eating has corn in it, it's actually pâté chinois as opposed to shepherd's pie. (Yes I know that in Quebec bilingual menus refer to "Pâté chinois - Shepherd's pie".)

Old 02-25-2022, 07:44 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,777,182 times
Don’t forget cipaille.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:34 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It depends on the ingredients in it.

Without getting bogged down in too many details, if you have corn in it, it's not really shepherd's pie. It's pâté chinois.

Pâté chinois generally has lots and lots of corn in it.

Shepherd's pie isn't supposed to have any corn.

There are some other ingredient differences too.

But generally speaking, if what you are eating has corn in it, it's actually pâté chinois as opposed to shepherd's pie. (Yes I know that in Quebec bilingual menus refer to "Pâté chinois - Shepherd's pie".)
And Shepherd's Pie not only does not contain corn, it also is made of lamb/mutton, whereas Pâté chinois is made with beef. In this sense, it is closer to a cottage pie. And like you said, it has to have LOTS of corn. I want to say my aunt used to use creamed corn.
Paternal family was from the countryside near Shawinigan... Oh this thread is bringing up some real memories.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:41 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
You mean all these years I've been eating fake Sheppards pie?? It supposed to have lamb in it and no corn? I feel Like I've been cheated. I love lamb meat.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:21 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
You mean all these years I've been eating fake Sheppards pie?? It supposed to have lamb in it and no corn? I feel Like I've been cheated. I love lamb meat.
The world is messed up

Just wait until all those people buying brioche hamburger and hot dog buns, find out, that they're nothing like real brioche.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:45 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Now I want to make tourtiere... And a real sauce brune to go over some thick slices of baked turkey... And some green beans... This thread is killing me lol...

Old 02-28-2022, 10:27 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't put anything on pâté chinois or tourtière but some people put Heinz ketchup on it. I might put ketchup aux fruits on my tourtière which in Quebec generally is made from tomatoes, apples, peaches, pears, celery, etc.

Tourtière can be the main dish but it's often accompanied by other stuff, like turkey. (Pâté chinois is more of an everyday dish and not something you'd have at a Christmas dinner.)

Tourtière is often accompanied by mashed potatoes, vegetables like carrots or green beans, and marinated beets that have a sweet-sour taste.

Turkey is always served with cranberry sauce here, and the Indigenous word for cranberry ("atoka") is heard as often as the official French word ("canneberge").

But only in relation to the sauce you put on turkey.

In all other instances in Quebec people will use "canneberge" (as in juice, etc.).

Woo, I've never even heard of ketchup aux fruits. Is that something worth making? What do you put it on and how common do you reckon it is?

Old 03-01-2022, 09:11 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Woo, I've never even heard of ketchup aux fruits. Is that something worth making? What do you put it on and how common do you reckon it is?
You can literally use whatever kinds of fruits (and/or veggies) you want and put it on whatever you want. It can be made to be sweet, hot and spicy, savoury, sour, etc.

Basically it's very much like a chutney with variations of ingredients and I call it (name of fruits) chutney to avoid confusion between ketchups and salsas and jams. If I make it really smooth and thick with no big lumps in it I call it a (fruits) butter.

Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_ketchup

Old 03-01-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's extremely popular in Quebec during the Christmas holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada