Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 11:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Language, Yes, but nationality, No. No Ukrainian-Canadian immigrated with a Ukrainian passport (unless after 1990). All Ukrainins in what is now Canada arrived from either USSR or, mostly, the Russian Empire. Only in the past 30 years have Ukrainian-speaking people had their own country, and that is because the Russsians granted it to them.

Meanwhile, the Ukrainian Culture, as reflected in Canada, is not at risk.
Nationalities exist before borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 12:39 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Awesome to see Canadians on this forum united against a despot threatening world peace. We are Canadians of all backgrounds and political leanings who stand by Ukraine because we believe in freedom, peace, and democracy.
We do.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:49 AM

The world gets smaller for those who try to make it smaller for others https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/trans...-ban-1.6366823

Old 02-28-2022, 12:51 AM

Photos of Canada standing with Ukraine https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canad...b-27-1.6366456

Old 02-28-2022, 01:09 AM

If anyone isn't interested in Mennonite history in Ukraine, feel free to skip this post

The Mennonite Central Committee, a name I assume Manitobans at least, are somewhat familiar with, is a relief organization that formed in the Mennonite communities of Indiana in the 1920s, as the result of having heard about the famine.

Mennonites, along with other German types, were invited into the Russian Empire at the invitation of Catherine the Great. Mennonites were granted special exemptions (in 'perpetuity' How short a time 'perpetuity' turned out to be) from military service, along with other things and that's how we ended up in Ukraine, and later many other areas of the Russian Empire. Even Siberia, thanks to the communists!

The MCC works with refugees the world over, from those humble beginnings. It is also accepting donations for Ukraine. https://mcccanada.ca/stories/tractor...ne-origins-mcc

(I was going to write other stuff but my dog got herself sprayed by a skunk and I can't think straight at this moment. )

Old 02-28-2022, 01:15 AM

Excellent opinion piece. I posted elsewhere earlier that originally my opinion was that it was understandable for Russia to want a buffer state, and that Ukraine's dream of NATO membership was a pipe dream. But that has all changed. After this, Ukraine has earned NATO membership if that's what they want.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...russia-ukraine

ETA: Had to share this line on another place - Zelensky turned down evacuation because he had balls so big, the plane couldn't take off!

Hahahaha!

Last edited by netwit; 02-28-2022 at 01:25 AM..

Old 02-28-2022, 10:14 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Probably a lot don't.

Here in BC it is taught in grade eleven Social Studies, how many retain it..not sure.

The internment of Japanese Canadians is better known.
That's news to me. I didn't know Canadians also had internment camps for Japanese people.

Before my father went to Europe, he was briefly in the MPs in the US Army and had to guard a Japanese internment camp out in the American west. He said they played baseball all day.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:50 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
For the first time in my life I cared to watch a UN meeting...live, and I have to admit the Canadian guy had the best speech. Not Trudeau, the "ambassador" or whatever he is...

Old 02-28-2022, 12:55 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
That was Bob Rae, a former Ontario Premier ( think State Govenor ) who is our Ambassador to the UN. A very well experienced long time international representative for our country. I am willing to bet that he wrote that himself, with input from our Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, who is of Ukrainian heritage. She is one smart cookie, speaks 7 languages fluently, and is a Harvard graduate. She isn't very tall, but she certainly has stature .

Old 02-28-2022, 12:58 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Long article by Daily Beast about Anthony Walker: This Canadian Comedian Flew to Europe to ‘Enlist’ Against Russia

Walker has started tweeting about his experience: https://twitter.com/anthonycwalker

Quote:
No freedom convoy protestors spotted in Amsterdam, Hungary, or Poland. Maybe they’re already in Ukraine?
Quote:
Holy ****, so many people want to help Ukraine that there’s a traffic jam going INTO the country. People are biking in.
Quote:
On a truck delivering supplies for the Ukrainian Army
I particularly like this tweet: https://twitter.com/anthonycwalker/s...59212936597505
Quote:
Ukrainian farmers should’ve been hired for the freedom convoy in Ottawa

(Video)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada