Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2022, 06:35 PM

30 posts, read 29,488 times

Advertisements

Are you free to carry and use guns in Saskatchewan without much regulation or are they basically illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 06:42 PM

218 posts, read 158,576 times
Illegal? Is there a particular type of gun you’re thinking of or just guns generally.

Every farmer I knew had a rifle or shotgun or 2. Most of my Saskatchewan cousins hunt so there are guns there.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:47 PM

218 posts, read 158,576 times
Tourism Saskatchewan has a hunting rules and regulations page which will give the info on restricted and non-restricted weapons

Old 03-19-2022, 07:04 PM

3,193 posts, read 1,676,238 times
From what I've learned about firearms in Canada; on May 1st, 2020 Canada banned the possession and any use of 9 types of rifles and shotguns. It's up on the RCMP website. IIRC Canada banned handguns a number of years ago. It's late for me and I didn't search deeply. I've never been there but I was curious.

Old 03-19-2022, 07:23 PM

3,603 posts, read 3,348,777 times
Note that gun laws in Canada are federal, not provincial; so gun laws are uniform across the country. Saskatchewan (and Ontario and Nova Scotia and so on) cannot effect their own gun laws.

Old 03-20-2022, 01:44 AM

14,677 posts, read 14,794,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucey Meatball View Post
Are you free to carry and use guns in Saskatchewan without much regulation or are they basically illegal?
As Chevy mentioned above, firearms are federally regulated in Canada, they aren't provincially regulated. So they're going to be the same for all citizens in all provinces.

Aside from certain types of restricted or banned firearms and certain other weapons and accessories, firearms are not illegal to own in Canada but citizens must first qualify to be eligible and be authorized/licensed to own and use firearms.

In answer to your main question, Canada's firearms regulations are much stricter than regulations anywhere in America and citizens are not free to own, carry or use guns anywhere in Canada without having to follow all of the regulations.

Here are the firearms regulations in accordance with Canada's Firearms Act: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/

and Part III of the Criminal Code: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/....html#h-117002

Old 03-20-2022, 12:36 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,839,748 times
As a licensed gun owner, the laws are simple. You have to start with a long gun safety course and pass a background check. Then you get your PAL and can buy a shotgun or rifle. Up until recently, that included semi-auto AR and AK types, but the federal Liberals passed a law to ban those models going forward, despite the fact that practically 0 crimes are committed with licensed long guns of any kind in Canada.

You can possess and carry long guns in public, but there are rules about that. Basically, if you don’t live in the country, don’t walk around with a long gun unless you are hunting. The police will be called and it will be a whole thing. You must also keep your gun stored in a safe or with a trigger lock and ammo must be stored separately.

You can get your ‘Restricted’ license (for handguns) as soon as you’ve finished your long gun license. Unless you are a collector, live in the country, or do a lot of target shooting at a range, it may not be worth your while because you can’t carry a handgun with you anywhere - like for protection or whatever. Handguns must be locked away when at the home or stored at the range. Otherwise, you have to notify law enforcement if you are transporting a secured hand gun.

There are lots of guns in Canada and hunting is a part of the culture here. However, we do not have a gun culture resembling that of the US, and never will. I’m pretty sure gun laws are federal, so there aren’t “lenient” and “strict” states like you find in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada