Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 07:38 PM

14 posts, read 17,320 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to hire a black smith in Vancouver but could not find a single person who is willing to design a halberd. Its driving me crazy because I am willing to pay decent money. I tried ordering a pole arm from U.S but it got denied entry because of some silly reason of it being dangerous.

I am out of luck, I need a blacksmith who is willing to either make or teach me how to make a halberd with scythe handle.

I do not understand why this is so difficult. In this market, you would think someone would be interested in paying $2000-3500 or more but I cant find one person and yet I REFUSE to give up. I would go to U.S or Europe to have this made but I cannot bring it back to Canada.

Need a blacksmith who is interested. If you are or know an independent blacksmith who may love to make things and yet you are not in the business let me know. This is a passion project and let me know if you can help, it means a alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 07:52 PM

7,239 posts, read 9,215,398 times
Seems to me you'd be looking for this guy https://fraserriverforge.com/

Old 04-02-2022, 08:18 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,335,252 times
Call a farrier. They shoe horses, but they know who the blacksmiths are. Get in touch with those folks, and if they're not willing or capable of taking on your job, they would know who is.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:22 PM

14,649 posts, read 14,739,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes, those are the people to go to. They're located in Vancouver's south side. Here's the map showing their location just a little east of Knight Street.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Fra...4d-123.0729948

Local farriers might also be or know of other good options.

I think you might have difficulties getting anybody else to agree to make it for you though because it's classified as a very dangerous weapon that is prohibited in some countries and it may be possible that it's a prohibited or restricted weapon in Canada. You should check the Canadian criminal codes about the legalities of possessing prohibited and restricted weapons. The fact that you were denied from getting one shipped to Canada from USA because it's a dangerous weapon is not a silly reason except to you and that should have tipped you off and caused you to thoroughly investigate the legalities of possession of such a weapon in Canada. If it's illegal nobody that is law abiding and wants to keep their own job and their reputation is going to make it for you or teach you how to make it yourself.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-02-2022 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-02-2022, 09:09 PM

7,648 posts, read 5,419,116 times
Why not just buy one on Etsy?

Old 04-02-2022, 09:38 PM

14,649 posts, read 14,739,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Why not just buy one on Etsy?
It's probably not legal to sell a deadly weapon like that on Etsy.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:10 PM

7,239 posts, read 9,215,398 times
I don't think it's classified as a dangerous weapon, except insofar as importing it across the border. Unless I missed something. I had to look it up to see what it was and I can see how a customs officer might dismiss it without looking more closely at the regulations, as people have a tendency to do the quick thing.

I was looking for regulations and I can't find anything that seems to prohibit what appears to be a historical weapon, which I can understand people with an interest in history might have a legitimate interest in.

https://policeguide.jibc.ca/legal-de...bited-weapons/

Old 04-03-2022, 01:05 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,836,003 times
I doth know a road where thou mayest find a blacksmith in Ipswich. Proceed to the fourth crossing in the place they call Lil Ulster and ask for Felmar Smithson. You will be given directions to a village wherein you mayest find Igor, son of Denethor, and he will build for you the sword you seek.

But remember the prophecy…he who wield the sword of Denethor will save the world and doom himself.

Be careful, fair hero. ‘Tis a perilous thing ye undertake.’

Old 04-10-2022, 06:56 PM

14 posts, read 17,320 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, those are the people to go to. They're located in Vancouver's south side. Here's the map showing their location just a little east of Knight Street.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Fra...4d-123.0729948

Local farriers might also be or know of other good options.

I think you might have difficulties getting anybody else to agree to make it for you though because it's classified as a very dangerous weapon that is prohibited in some countries and it may be possible that it's a prohibited or restricted weapon in Canada. You should check the Canadian criminal codes about the legalities of possessing prohibited and restricted weapons. The fact that you were denied from getting one shipped to Canada from USA because it's a dangerous weapon is not a silly reason except to you and that should have tipped you off and caused you to thoroughly investigate the legalities of possession of such a weapon in Canada. If it's illegal nobody that is law abiding and wants to keep their own job and their reputation is going to make it for you or teach you how to make it yourself.

Quote:
I don't think it's classified as a dangerous weapon, except insofar as importing it across the border. Unless I missed something. I had to look it up to see what it was and I can see how a customs officer might dismiss it without looking more closely at the regulations, as people have a tendency to do the quick thing.

I was looking for regulations and I can't find anything that seems to prohibit what appears to be a historical weapon, which I can understand people with an interest in history might have a legitimate interest in.

https://policeguide.jibc.ca/legal-de...bited-weapons/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I doth know a road where thou mayest find a blacksmith in Ipswich. Proceed to the fourth crossing in the place they call Lil Ulster and ask for Felmar Smithson. You will be given directions to a village wherein you mayest find Igor, son of Denethor, and he will build for you the sword you seek.

But remember the prophecy…he who wield the sword of Denethor will save the world and doom himself.

Be careful, fair hero. ‘Tis a perilous thing ye undertake.’

Hi Everyone,

Update:

I found a guy and we are determining the height, weight and design and decoration of it.

Regarding the law, I did not find any law that says its illegal. Its for martial arts training. Martial artist would do well to learn to wield a weapon to develop a sense of distance but also good for self defense and feeding the creativity.

I thank everyone for your post.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:41 PM

32,493 posts, read 47,447,506 times
I suspect you need a knifesmith. However, find the medieval reenactment group in your area and they will know how to find the person who makes and sells that sort of thing.

There is going to be a group who does highland games, also, and they will know where to find the person who makes swords (Claymores) and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada