Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 04:43 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I hope he’s doing alright. BruSan has always had insightful things to say.

What happened to UrbanLuis? He was also very active in the past.
Luis is fine. He's on another forum where I also am. We exchanged there in recent weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 02:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Luis is fine. He's on another forum where I also am. We exchanged there in recent weeks.
Good to hear. I avoid the P&OC section, because of the rabbit hole it leads into.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:57 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Good to hear. I avoid the P&OC section, because of the rabbit hole it leads into.
Well sometimes the rabbit holes are entertaining. I still remember the thread some years ago about 10,000 Chinese soldiers supposedly secretly camping out in Stanley Park in Vancouver. Apparently they were in Canada for “winter training.” I laughed out loud when one poster seriously suggested that it was one more reason for the U.S. to close its borders. I envisioned the 10,000 Chinese soldiers meekly lining up, passports in hand at the border, to enter the U.S.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:01 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It is getting empty and boring here. So many good people we lost: BruSan, Magnatomicflux, newdixiegirl, hobbesdj, steeps/DavePa, Weltschmerz, MS313 and many more. I never would have thought I'd outlive them all .
It's getting empty, but it need not be boring.

To your list, I'll add Stubblejumper, from southern Alberta. And I haven't seen much from mikeyyc lately--if he's posted, I've missed it. And I seem to recall that we had a poster from Niagara on the Lake--cannot remember the name, but I'd recognize it. I haven't seen anything from that poster in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
I know one place where Weltz is but the last person who wandered over there wasn’t treated very patiently in my opinion. They jumped into posting without getting the lay of the land and it didn’t go well. I felt bad for them and embarrassed by that board. Things were just too different.
I know a general-interest message board like that. It is recommended that if you wish to become a member, that you lurk (i.e. just read but not post) for at least four to six weeks before posting anything. And when you do post, start with innocuous things: contribute to "I got a new kitten," or "How is Buffalo holding up after that snowstorm?" before you wade into contentious threads like, "What are the Republicans trying to prove?"

Many newbies have come to grief there because they jumped in too soon, on controversial topics, and didn't take the time to learn and understand the board's rules and culture.

Quote:
My personal observation about Canadian Forums is that Canadians are less likely to respond with their opinions so a thread on whether you should let your daughter have sleepovers at friends houses just because you let your sons will go for 5-20 pages on an American forum and barely make 2 pages on a Canadian forum.
I'd suggest that what riles Americans to go on for multiple pages is not the same as what riles Canadians.

Oh, we're perfectly capable of going on for pages and pages, in threads upon threads--witness all the Quebec separation threads, or the Freedom Convoy threads from about a year ago, or all the silly "Canadians say 'aboot'" threads, or the threads that somehow involve Justin Trudeau or Stephen Harper that we've had here in the Canada forum. They've gone on for quite a few pages. It's just that issues that Americans are vocal about, aren't issues here. Gay marriage, LGBTQ+ rights, abortion, guns, healthcare, and others, are settled here, and Canadians are pretty happy, or at least content, with the results.

Heck, in another thread, somebody is wondering why Canadians across the country aren't posting often and repeatedly about some pro-gay speaker who has been cancelled by some group at McGill University in Montreal. Well, I'd suggest that the majority of Canadians had no idea what happened, and wouldn't care if they did. It's a local matter, likely discussed in the Montreal media, and perhaps Ottawa and Toronto too (but not necessarily), but it didn't make it out here to western Canada. Nor, I suspect, was it news in Atlantic Canada. It's a Montreal matter that Montreal media covered, and it need not be reported nationwide.

For all that, I might ask why the fire that destroyed a house on the north side of Lethbridge, Alberta, last week, was not reported in the national media. But the reason is simple: local matters are not national news. Same with McGill University and its gay speaker. It's local to Montreal, and nowhere else.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 01-11-2023 at 11:59 PM..

Old 01-12-2023, 07:47 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
I rarely go on Politics and Other Controversies. That other forum Luis and I are on isn't even on City-Data.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:34 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I was away from C/D for a few years and to what you said, i've definitely noticed a difference. I'm not going to go further but well - just a different vibe that may not be as conducive to 'fun' - it's not vibin like it used too!...
I've noticed for some years there is not much going on anymore in the Canada, Europe, and World forums and also many local US forums that used to be interesting to me like the Detroit or Baltimore forums hardly have any activity left, unlike in the past. The general US and city vs city forums are still quite active.

Too many regular posters who contributed a lot got banned, in a way CD caused its own demise .

Old 01-12-2023, 02:16 PM

Heads up to anyone having occasional problems with C-D. From a thread by a moderator dated Sep 16, 2022:

Quote:
Our City-Data website URL changed from http to https in November 2019.
If you are having problems with our Forum website, first check if the URL starts with https or has a little padlock in the address bar. It means that the website is secure/encrypted.

If not, you need to change that and update your bookmark. (if you're using bookmark to log in).

This change will fix most of the common problems our members are reporting on this forum.

(see link for entire post)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...ite-check.html

My bookmark predated 2019 and sure enough, no padlock. This probably explains why I frequently had problems staying logged in on my older iPad. Anyway, my bookmark is now updated.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:20 PM

I also found this discussion by moderators: https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...er-status.html

Old 01-12-2023, 02:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I also found this discussion by moderators: https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...er-status.html
Oh awesome.. So there is hope of a return.. If I read the thread correctly..

Old 02-26-2023, 12:42 PM

Something very weird just happened. I was reading the POC Ukrainian War thread and I saw a new post by Brusan (about NATO). His post still showed he was “Not a member” though, which was confusing. I replied, quoting his post, with a “welcome back.”

I then noticed his original post was gone. So I took a screenshot of my post. Then my post disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada