Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 02:45 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times

Advertisements

Holy cats! What other westerners are already tired of this cold snap?

It's going to be like -27C, -28C here in southern Alberta for the next few days. My car is covered in snow, and the snow doesn't stop. I've shovelled my driveway, and the public sidewalk, and cleared off my car twice since yesterday, and I'll have to do it again tomorrow because the @#$%& snow just doesn't stop!

Now I know why Canadian snowbirds leave for the winter. The older I get, the less I like winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 05:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

It's going to be like -27C, -28C here in southern Alberta for the next few days. My car is covered in snow, and the snow doesn't stop. I've shovelled my driveway, and the public sidewalk, and cleared off my car twice since yesterday, and I'll have to do it again tomorrow because the @#$%& snow just doesn't stop!

Now I know why Canadian snowbirds leave for the winter. The older I get, the less I like winter.
Brrrr. That is cold!

Us wimps here in Vancouver are freezing as well. Snow and today a high of -4C and a low of -7C. Wednesday it will be a high of -6C and a low of -11C. More snow after that as well, but then it gets back up to high of 9C and low of 6C.

In a week it will all be washed away.

I'll try and send some rain your way Chevy!

Old 12-19-2022, 06:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
This cold spell sucks. My circulation took a dive and I can't get my feet to feel warmed up properly in spite of being warm indoors and I had something happen that's never happened to me before in my life. I got a chilblain !!! on one of my middle toes and I haven't even been spending time outside except twice to run from my residence out to the car with a broom to sweep off the snow and I was wearing my winter snow boots. That's what getting old gets ya.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:22 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

As a snow lover, I'll take some of the snow from you. Over here in the far east coast (New England, Maritimes), we got drenched by rain and high winds coming off the ocean last Friday while further inland everyone got copious amounts of snow (no fair!) and it's going to happen all over again this Friday, like deja vu. Boston is predicted to be at 14-15 degrees centigrade on Friday with Halifax and Saint John just a tad bit colder, absolutely NOT the appropriate temperatures for a December day in any Northeast community north of the 40th parallel. It's like the evil Gulf Stream is teaming up with the evil evil Jet Stream in pushing all the cold and snow to you out West, intimidating us with rain and warm temps, and all the while wagging their tongues at us.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:40 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Thanks for the words, folks. Today, I did manage a trip to the corner store for some things. It's only three blocks to get there, so I walked. All done up, of course: parka, warm shirt underneath, woollen hat covering my ears, gloves. And it didn't feel so bad when I stepped out of the house.

I made it to the store and back, but by the time I got back, my fingers almost weren't working, they were so cold in spite of my gloves. Finally, I clumsily located and isolated the correct key on my key ring, and with only a little difficulty, was able to get back in the house. As it was, my fingers took about five minutes to warm up and return to normal functioning.

But tonight's weather predicts that one of Alberta's famous chinooks should blow through on Friday, and by Saturday, we'll see a high of +1C. "Roller coaster" is a term that our weather forecasters use frequently.

Tomorrow, more shovelling. Sigh. Counting down the days until Friday.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:40 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
My shoveling days are in the past. Winter is when I most appreciate condo living. The heated indoor garage is at ground level so there isn’t even an icy or snow-filled ramp to deal with and of course no need to plug in the car. Plus, no more clambering over snowbanks to reach the community mailbox.

Old 12-20-2022, 02:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Wow just seeing what is happening in Vancouver! Wowee.. How's the snowball fights Nat

Seriously hope you y'all aren't too impacted by all this stuff flying around. Hope you can enjoy it where possible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This cold spell sucks. My circulation took a dive and I can't get my feet to feel warmed up properly in spite of being warm indoors and I had something happen that's never happened to me before in my life. I got a chilblain !!! on one of my middle toes and I haven't even been spending time outside except twice to run from my residence out to the car with a broom to sweep off the snow and I was wearing my winter snow boots. That's what getting old gets ya.

I had to look up a chilblain. Never heard of it before but seems super annoying. Really itchy? Reading these posts in here are good info for me though in preparation for when I join the ranks of all the Canada forum seniors in here

Old 12-20-2022, 03:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Wow just seeing what is happening in Vancouver! Wowee.. How's the snowball fights Nat

Seriously hope you y'all aren't too impacted by all this stuff flying around. Hope you can enjoy it where possible..

I had to look up a chilblain. Never heard of it before but seems super annoying. Really itchy? Reading these posts in here are good info for me though in preparation for when I join the ranks of all the Canada forum seniors in here
I could use a good snowball fight. A lot of children live in the neighbourhood, but I'm afraid they would hammer me into submission.

It's beautiful though. Very quiet and peaceful out there. No mail deliveries today, and traffic, at least here in Yaletown, is almost non existent.

I feel for people that have to travel. Buses can have a hard time, especially on the slopes of the North Shore.

I'm good though. Everything I need, I can walk to.

Chilblains! I was first aware of the term from a Dickens novel...can't remember which one...maybe Little Dorrit?

However if you had asked me exactly what it was, I'd have to look it up.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:08 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Enjoy your White Christmas in Vancouver Nat! My friend out in Seattle called me yesterday and said she was snowed in. She mentioned she called out for work since steep hills, snow, and driving her KIA weren't a good mix. I loved the way the snow looks on the trees out there, quite stunning.

We've got a few inches of snow on the ground here in Vermont and it will be cold enough for a white Christmas to come. Assuming Montreal just to the north will as well. My auntie up in Anchorage, Alaska called me last weekend. They just got buried in three feet of snow.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-21-2022 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-21-2022, 08:44 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

At what age do we become a City Data Senior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada