Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 03:29 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times

Advertisements

Friends,

Just as the title says, I miss those days. Well, sort of. I do not miss the endless discussions of Quebec separation, or whether the Queen can order us about on a whim. But I do miss our conversations about travel in Canada, current politics, the weather, griping about winter, our gardens, and our golf games.

Might we just talk? Nat, I know you love Vancouver. It's a city I know well; let me know places I may have missed, and should get to next time. Zoisite, I know you love your garden. What are you growing this year? Bru, you and golf are a no-brainer. I hope to get out this year after a two-year break. What score should I be shooting for if I was to ever play you? Acajack, based on some long-ago comments, I'm pretty sure that you know music just as well as some of my friends in radio. Perhaps you could suggest some tracks for a friend who is still in radio.

We have lost many Canadian posters to indifference or death--Mags and Fusion and Jambo (RIP) stand out, and they always kept the conversation going, as did our Canadian-American ex-pats, such as NewDixieGirl, MikeYYC, and JohnSoCal.

I appreciate everybody's views on issues of the day, but there is more to us than just issues of the day. Can't we just chat about inconsequential things, just to keep our conversation going?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-01-2022 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 08:30 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I like this ice breaker Chevy. The discussions you are implying are the ones that use to keep me engaged and interested in posting in the Canada forum. I'm one of those rare Americans with a certain bandwidth of knowledge on Canada with a genuine interest in travelling to various parts of the country that I haven't seen yet. That, and having Montreal a mere 100 km distance away has always kept Canada on my radar to some degree.

I had my opinions on the heavy topics like the trucker convoy and other political issues of the day. Did I want to post about it here? No, not at all. I won't touch politics with a 10 foot pole on C-D. I just don't have the headspace for it.

Just an update, on our friend Fusion2, we chat on the phone a few a times a year. He got tired of having to defend Toronto on a lot of threads. For some odd reason, the city gets a lot of smack talk on C-D (and possibly real life?) and overall he found posting on C-D (not this forum) too contentious. He's very well travelled in an intercontinental sort of way and he loves going to Asia and always took advantage of formerly cheap airfares from YYZ to the world over. Over the last two years, he's travelled all over Canada, to Vancouver, Banff, Saskatchewan, & Winnipeg. He never travelled around his own country very much and so he made the best of the travel restrictions we've all faced to some degree and travelled around the provinces. He's currently at nine out of his goal for 10 provinces with only Newfoundland left, and believe me I give him an earful of how he has to experience my favorite province. He's doing well though, in case anyone was interested.

Nat, I liked our old discussions and debates on the nuances of Seattle vs Vancouver. I haven't lived on the west coast in 17 years so I don't have much of a dog in that debate anymore, but I still remember Vancouver very well just the same from frequent visits and generally appreciate your perspective on things in that part of the world. Now we're seeing Vancouver vs Mexico City threads pop-up in City vs City, and well... it can be difficult to stay engaged and follow the forum with such with odd pairings for comparison and the obvious and predictable posts that follow.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-23-2022 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-23-2022, 09:25 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
May Americans holed up in your country join in? In the nearly five years I've been coming to Ontario, I've grown to love this place. Although my movement is very limited right now because of my bf's illness, I do hope to see more of the country some day.

I'm here on an extension to my six-month US visitor's limit, and now I've applied for an extension to the extension via a lawyer.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Funny, I was also noticing a shift in the Canada forums.

Chevy, places you may have missed. A guess of course, but have you seen much in the outlying areas?

Cleveland Damn is a smallish damn, but has amazing views of The Lions.

https://www.vancouversnorthshore.com...cleveland-dam/

Oldest building in Vancouver is https://hastingsmillmuseum.ca It was moved to it's current site in the 1930's, but it's location is iconic Vancouver. Again, the views of the city and mountains from there are great. From there head towards Jericho Beach, Locarno Beach and Spanish Banks. On a summer evening, the place is magical.

Do you ride a bike? Just riding the seawall, give the best impression of Vancouver. The seawall is 29K. Many just think of the Stanley Park portion, but it runs from Canada Place all the way to Kits Beach. From Kits a separated bike lane will take you along Pt Grey Rd for a few blocks, until you are back on a bike pathway along Jericho Beach and onwards.

North Vancouver and the area around Lonsdale Quay have seen new developments of restaurants etc called The Shipyard Brewery District. I have yet to pop over and investigate, but people say it's nice. Of course taking the Seabus over is fun.

This kind walk may interest you

https://bcaletrail.ca/ale-trails/north-vancouver/

I'm guess you have been to Victoria and Whistler?

I still say though, that riding a bike or just walking along the seawall in it's many parts ( Olympic Village, Yaletown, etc ) is one of the best ways to see the city.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I like this ice breaker Chevy. The discussions you are implying are the ones that use to keep me engaged and interested in posting in the Canada forum. I'm one of those rare Americans with a certain bandwidth of knowledge on Canada with a genuine interest in travelling to various parts of the country that I haven't seen yet. That, and having Montreal a mere 100 km distance away has always kept Canada on my radar to some degree.

I had my opinions on the heavy topics like the trucker convoy and other political issues of the day. Did I want to post about it here? No, not at all. I won't touch politics with a 10 foot pole on C-D. I just don't have the headspace for it.

Just an update, on our friend Fusion2, we chat on the phone a few a times a year. He got tired of having to defend Toronto on a lot of threads. For some odd reason, the city gets a lot of smack talk on C-D (and possibly real life?) and overall he found posting on C-D (not this forum) too contentious. He's very well travelled in an intercontinental sort of way and he loves going to Asia and always took advantage of formerly cheap airfares from YYZ to the world over. Over the last two years, he's travelled all over Canada, to Vancouver, Banff, Saskatchewan, & Winnipeg. He never travelled around his own country very much and so he made the best of the travel restrictions we've all faced to some degree and travelled around the provinces. He's currently at nine out of his goal for 10 provinces with only Newfoundland left, and believe me I give him an earful of how he has to experience my favorite province. He's doing well though, in case anyone was interested.

Nat, I liked our old discussions and debates on the nuances of Seattle vs Vancouver. I haven't lived on the west coast in 17 years so I don't have much of a dog in that debate anymore, but I still remember Vancouver very well just the same from frequent visits and generally appreciate your perspective on things in that part of the world. Now we're seeing Vancouver vs Mexico City threads pop-up in City vs City, and well... it can be difficult to stay engaged and follow the forum with such with odd pairings for comparison and the obvious and predictable posts that follow.
It's been about 7 years since I've been to Seattle. Long overdue.

I know Vancouver has changed in that time.

Ya, Vancouver vs Mexico City and San Antonio were odd comparisons.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
May Americans holed up in your country join in? In the nearly five years I've been coming to Ontario, I've grown to love this place. Although my movement is very limited right now because of my bf's illness, I do hope to see more of the country some day.

I'm here on an extension to my six-month US visitor's limit, and now I've applied for an extension to the extension via a lawyer.
Hope it works out for you!

If you love nature, then Canada is for you! Biased, but BC especially. The Okanagan Valley ( wine country ) the coastal islands, the mountains etc are breathtaking.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I had many great discussions with Fusion via PM, all about Toronto. I'm originally from Toronto, and he and I knew many of the same places, and the same things. So do me a favour: the next time you speak with him on the phone, give him hell (naw, just kidding) for not letting me know when he passed through Alberta. Then tell him to dig through his e-mail contacts, and find my address, and drop me a note--we corresponded that way a few times also. He's a good guy, and I'd like to keep in touch with him.

Quote:

Of course you can! Heck, you know us Canadians so well, I'd suggest that you are an honorary Canadian. Hope your extension comes through. I understand if you cannot explore as much of Canada as you'd like to, but if you ever can, you know you'll have plenty of recommendations from all of us across the country. Hey, have you made it to Bitondo's in Toronto for pizza yet?

Nat, thanks for all that. I've done the tourist stuff in Vancouver, but it's great to get a Vancouverite's take on what to see and do. Thanks for the recommendations, and I will be sure to check them out the next time I am in town. Not sure if I can handle 29 km on a bike, so I'll have to practice in the parks here (and thanks for the impetus to get off my butt and onto my bike this spring). Name your favourite pub--I'll buy you a beer for those tips.

I have been to Victoria and Whistler, but only scratched the surface. Still, I can claim to have enjoyed a dry martini in the Bengal Lounge of the Empress, so there's that.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Hope it works out for you!

If you love nature, then Canada is for you! Biased, but BC especially. The Okanagan Valley ( wine country ) the coastal islands, the mountains etc are breathtaking.
I see it on television, and I want to go. I always wanted to visit the Pacific NW in the USA, also, so maybe I will get to do both in one trip.

And yes, the nature is precisely what I love about Canada. The people are OK, too.

I grew up in a small town about 30 miles northwest of New York City. It may as well have been 75 miles away, because we had pet chickens the yard, and there was still sheep farm in town, and lots of woods and a swamp where we caught bullfrogs. We only went to the city on school trips. I always thought I'd move somewhere more country when I grew up, and I ended up working in New York City and living in the the ever-developing suburbia that my small town became.

So when I met my Canadian and started spending time in the woods on a lake where I regularly saw foxes and loons and occasionally heard wolves howling in winter, I felt as if I was living that lost dream. I plan to spend more of whatever time I have left on the planet enjoying its natural beauty, and Canada has lots of it.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
So when I met my Canadian and started spending time in the woods on a lake where I regularly saw foxes and loons and occasionally heard wolves howling in winter, I felt as if I was living that lost dream. I plan to spend more of whatever time I have left on the planet enjoying its natural beauty, and Canada has lots of it.
I'm glad that you discovered Ontario before you discovered New Hampshire.

I went to New Hampshire for a friend's wedding in 198-something, and we stayed on Golden Pond. Literally, Squam Lake was Golden Pond in the movie. It reminded me of the Muskoka Lakes in Ontario. A local told me about the loons on the lake, and the wildlife around it. I'd like to get back to New Hampshire some day, to enjoy the nature and tranquillity of Squam Lake, but I'm glad that you found Ontario first.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm glad that you discovered Ontario before you discovered New Hampshire.

I went to New Hampshire for a friend's wedding in 198-something, and we stayed on Golden Pond. Literally, Squam Lake was Golden Pond in the movie. It reminded me of the Muskoka Lakes in Ontario. A local told me about the loons on the lake, and the wildlife around it. I'd like to get back to New Hampshire some day, to enjoy the nature and tranquillity of Squam Lake, but I'm glad that you found Ontario first.
Ha, funny you say that. Before I ever got to Canada, I fell in love with Vermont after staying at a writers retreat there a few times and taking my daughter up to the language school at Middlebury. I prefer colder climates to hot, so I considered New England for retirement, but Vermont would tax my NYS pension, so New Hampshire, which does not, was another choice.

Then I started coming here, and the plan was to marry and apply for permanent residency, but we make our plans and the gods laugh. Instead, I'm in limbo, applying for extensions to stay as a visitor to care for my fiance as long as he's here, staying in the Toronto burbs and hoping to be able to at least get a few snatches of time together back on that lake. I cannot care for him alone full-time, but we should be able to get by for a few days here and there.

So maybe when all is said and done it will be New Hampshire after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada