Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 12:22 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One would assume that this Saudi doctor's native language is Arabic. They also probably know English reasonably well as they are studying at McGill where English is the language of instruction, even if it is in Montreal.
I understand that. The poster was not content with that situation EVEN though he himself could perfectly understand the resident. He was adamant that his 7 year old be able to understand when in point of fact he could have explained everything to his son himself.

Much ado over something the rest of Canada is currently undergoing daily. In this scenario, Quebec is NOT unique.

What would have been his position if his son required medical service while visiting in Saudi Arabia? Would he have balked at either Saudi or English, which a great many Saudi's also speak fluently?

Old 04-26-2022, 12:32 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I understand that. The poster was not content with that situation EVEN though he himself could perfectly understand the resident. He was adamant that his 7 year old be able to understand when in point of fact he could have explained everything to his son himself.

Much ado over something the rest of Canada is currently undergoing daily. In this scenario, Quebec is NOT unique.

What would have been his position if his son required medical service while visiting in Saudi Arabia? Would he have balked at either Saudi or English, which a great many Saudi's also speak fluently?
I'd very much like to know about how the rest of Canada is undergoing this daily.

It's certainly very diverse (at least in the major cities) and increasingly so, but everyone if they don't know it already, gets down to the business of learning English immediately and quickly.

Colour me skeptical that people actually react with a defiant "English? Phoque dat! anywhere in Anglo-Canada.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:43 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Quote:
So inflammatory. Everything is always Rwanda 1994, kristallnacht or Darfur whenever Anglo-Montrealers don't like something.

Unconstitutional? There is nothing in the Canadian Constitution that guarantees minority language post-secondary education. Look it up. Hint: that's why francophones in most of the "rest of Canada" don't have dick in terms of post-secondary options in their language.

Violates UN principles? See previous point. There isn't anything in UN principles that guarantees minorities the right to post-secondary entirely in their language on the state's dime. The vast majority of places in the world have no public education at all in minority languages.

I could answer the rest of your gripes, but based on this response, people can already see how that would go.
You're really gonna debate someone with a PhD in political science, focusing primarily on the constitution and human rights, okay. So yes, people have the right to attend any institution in French or English, (Section 23). Although this does not apply to post-secondary, what does is the rights and freedoms of an individual to choose the school they want, in any linguistically instruction. All I hear is "priority to anglos" for English CEGEPS.. Okay, but at the expense of allos and Franco's who want to attend, because 1) English is the language of commerce and the main one 2) English CEGEPS are much better education wise. rather than limit who can go where, maybe the government should invest in CEGEPS (since they have domain over this) and improve education there. For them to invoke s.33, which overrides human rights protections, shows that this violates human rights lol. S.33 has been abused so much and is not used as intended, it's now being used by governments to do what they want, avoid court rulings and if a law violates rights, so be it cause "it's best for the province".

Quote:
“213.1.This Act applies despite sections 1 to 38 of the Charter of human rights and freedoms (chapter C-12).
https://protectourrights.ca/bill-96-in-depth/

Hell it even violates the preamble of the QC charter

Quote:
Whereas the rights and freedoms of the human person are inseparable from the rights and freedoms of others and from the common well-being;
Whereas it is expedient to solemnly declare the fundamental human rights and freedoms in a Charter, so that they may be guaranteed by the collective will and better protected against any violation;

Oh then there is the debate on how this will further discriminate against indigenous peoples, you know, the people who got their lands stolen by French and English people.

Also, I'm not an Anglo Montrealer, stop assuming that anyone who speaks English is an Anglo. I knew you would be the first to come after me, but all my points are legitimate and you know this. French is not declining in Quebec.

https://www.mcgill.ca/maxbellschool/...ach-of-bill-96

https://thelinknewspaper.ca/article/...6-actually-for

https://pearleliadis.wordpress.com/2...an-rights-law/

Also, you're gonna tell be Bill 96 is the best way to protect French here? What the hell are you smoking dude. The province should invest in French schools (again, high school drop out rates are insane and much higher than Anglo schools... why?), better French instruction (the classes here are ****) rather than scapegoating anglos, allos and immigrants.

Quote:
Overall, the Quebec French public school secondary success rate is a shockingly low 64% when tracked over a normal five-year period. Private schools attain an 84% rate over the same time frame. Further, the Report noted that Quebec's success rate has remained stagnant for the last ten years. Interestingly, the English school systems attain more significant graduation rates with 80% of female and 70% of males meeting requirements.

Far too many adolescents are struggling, and Quebec is at the end of the pack! The overall success rate in Canada is 77% and Quebec is even lower than the worst performing school system in the United States; that being the District of Columbia at 69%. The data is clear: the French public school system is failing its clientele and stifling future educational opportunities for many
https://www.thesuburban.com/opinion/...7ab81aaad.html (I'm not even a fan of the suburban, yet this is a valid point). Want to protect French? start with the public school system, get more qualified teachers and programs, offer incentives rather than penalizing people.

Don't forget, the Supreme Court is the guardian of the constitution and will 110% add more protections, as readings of said sections can be interpreted and legally expanded on. QC also abides by the charter, even though they did not sign it. You bet there will be plenty of legal and charter challenges filed against this (because you know... it violates rights and freedoms!). Also the fact that Bill 96 would cut finding to municipalities who go against this is insane, that's also infringing (but cities don't have their own rights).

Point stands: Bill 96 violates rights and freedoms of individuals. You may not agree, but it's fact. And You bet there will be a fight against this, and who knows what else will be in store. I'm happy new political parties are emerging to end Quebec's nationalism once and for all, and you bet there will be more activist groups forming, and even militant if things do not change quickly.

Oh btw, here is a French article for you. Show me the evidence that French is declining.

https://lactualite.com/societe/pour-...gue-francaise/

Hope you actually read the links and change your perspective on this. I hope the fight against this continues, I am joining that fight. If you don't like it, fine. But I refuse for Quebec to become a full on ethnocracy.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:54 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
Quote:
Why would it be impossible to pass a test in French if you went to a med school in Quebec (even in English)?

Why is there a med school in Quebec (funded with our tax dollars) that in 2022 is producing graduates that can't communicate with patients in French?
I’ll have to strongly disagree with you here. Having the licensing exam available in English is critical to ensure Quebec produces enough doctors to serve its population. I wouldn’t be opposed to having a French component to the test to test some basic competency in French, but expecting someone to know vast amounts of medical terminology in French when they’ve been studying for years in English is just not realistic and I wouldn’t agree that it would be reflective of their ability to communicate effectively with patients. I don’t know if there’s any French medical programs in other provinces but I’d hope the Francophone students there are afforded the same equivalent

Old 04-26-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post

Hope you actually read the links and change your perspective on this. I hope the fight against this continues, I am joining that fight. If you don't like it, fine. But I refuse for Quebec to become a full on ethnocracy.
This is just the typical "everyone who disagrees with me is racist".

François Legault's cabinet has noticeably more minorities in it than Doug Ford's in Ontario, and Ford leads the most diverse province in Canada with one of the world's most diverse cities at its heart.

I even think that every single person in Ford's cabinet might be white.

Are you even a Canadian citizen?

Old 04-26-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’ll have to strongly disagree with you here. Having the licensing exam available in English is critical to ensure Quebec produces enough doctors to serve its population. I wouldn’t be opposed to having a French component to the test to test some basic competency in French, but expecting someone to know vast amounts of medical terminology in French when they’ve been studying for years in English is just not realistic and I wouldn’t agree that it would be reflective of their ability to communicate effectively with patients. I don’t know if there’s any French medical programs in other provinces but I’d hope the Francophone students there are afforded the same equivalent
At a minimum any health care professional practising in Quebec should be able to communicate in French with patients and other staff.

There are a number of ways to get there, I'd agree.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Also, I'm not an Anglo Montrealer, stop assuming that anyone who speaks English is an Anglo. .
In the context of Quebec anyone who lives here and lives their life in English and interacts with society, government, etc. in English is an anglophone, regardless of origin. Your name can be Jacques Tremblay and you can still be an anglophone.

Just like people such as Kim Thuy, Amir Khadir and Boucar Diouf are definitely francophones.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You're really gonna debate someone with a PhD in political science, focusing primarily on the constitution and human rights, okay. So yes, people have the right to attend any institution in French or English, (Section 23). Although this does not apply to post-secondary, what does is the rights and freedoms of an individual to choose the school they want, in any linguistically instruction. All I hear is "priority to anglos" for English CEGEPS.. Okay, but at the expense of allos and Franco's who want to attend, because 1) English is the language of commerce and the main one 2) English CEGEPS are much better education wise. rather than limit who can go where, maybe the government should invest in CEGEPS (since they have domain over this) and improve education there.

(...)

https://protectourrights.ca/bill-96-in-depth/

Hell it even violates the preamble of the QC charter

(...)

Don't forget, the Supreme Court is the guardian of the constitution and will 110% add more protections, as readings of said sections can be interpreted and legally expanded on. QC also abides by the charter, even though they did not sign it. You bet there will be plenty of legal and charter challenges filed against this (because you know... it violates rights and freedoms!). Also the fact that Bill 96 would cut finding to municipalities who go against this is insane, that's also infringing (but cities don't have their own rights).

Point stands: Bill 96 violates rights and freedoms of individuals. You may not agree, but it's fact. And You bet there will be a fight against this, and who knows what else will be in store. I'm happy new political parties are emerging to end Quebec's nationalism once and for all, and you bet there will be more activist groups forming, and even militant if things do not change quickly.

Who the hell do you think you're debating? I've been studying constitutional language rights in Canada for over 30 years. It was even my full-time job at one point.

Nothing in the Constitution guarantees English education beyond K-12 in Quebec. It's K-12 that is entrenched in Section 23 of the Charter. It says very explicitly that it applies to elementary and secondary. Section 23 also allows provinces to limit access to minority language schools based on grandfathered rights, and this even includes K-12. Which is why all immigrant kids in Quebec go to K-12 in French. (All of which was upheld in Supreme Court rulings.)

And nothing in the Charter obligates Quebec to allow francophone and allophone kids to go to CEGEP in English.

In fact, Quebec isn't even obligated to offer CEGEP in English. All CEGEPs could be in French only and it would still be perfectly legal.

Though they would never do that, they could even switch McGill over to French if they wanted to, and it would be perfectly legal and constitutional.

PhD in political science and constitutional rights...

Old 04-26-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
And Ontario has none AFAIK. At least last time I checked.

(Ontario is way more diverse than Quebec BTW.)

Old 04-26-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
. For them to invoke s.33, which overrides human rights protections, shows that this violates human rights lol. S.33 has been abused so much and is not used as intended, it's now being used by governments to do what they want, avoid court rulings and if a law violates rights, so be it cause "it's best for the province".
Section 33 is part of the Charter and the Constitution.

It was put there at the request of the premiers of SK, AB and MB (not QC BTW) in order to ensure parliamentary supremacy so that we weren't effectively ruled by a bunch of unelected judges.

(All Canadian judges are political appointees, made by the government in power.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada