Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 02:59 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post

Also, you're gonna tell be Bill 96 is the best way to protect French here? What the hell are you smoking dude. The province should invest in French schools (again, high school drop out rates are insane and much higher than Anglo schools... why?), better French instruction (the classes here are ****) rather than scapegoating anglos, allos and immigrants.

Overall, the Quebec French public school secondary success rate is a shockingly low 64% when tracked over a normal five-year period. Private schools attain an 84% rate over the same time frame. Further, the Report noted that Quebec's success rate has remained stagnant for the last ten years. Interestingly, the English school systems attain more significant graduation rates with 80% of female and 70% of males meeting requirements.

Far too many adolescents are struggling, and Quebec is at the end of the pack! The overall success rate in Canada is 77% and Quebec is even lower than the worst performing school system in the United States; that being the District of Columbia at 69%. The data is clear: the French public school system is failing its clientele and stifling future educational opportunities for many

https://www.thesuburban.com/opinion/...7ab81aaad.html (I'm not even a fan of the suburban, yet this is a valid point). Want to protect French? start with the public school system, get more qualified teachers and programs, offer incentives rather than penalizing people.
I swear, "they want anglo kids to take more French classes? Hell, they can't even teach French (sic) kids their own language properly!"

has become the new

"they don't even speak real French"

hate meme!

The stats on high school dropout rates are not great but it's worth mentioning that it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. Though a highly convenient one for some.

Francophone Quebec has a much higher percentage of high schoolers in private schools. I mean, we are talking about about a quarter of all kids, whereas in other provinces like Ontario it's under 5%. (Private high schools obviously have much higher graduation rates, so they'd push Quebec's average up quite a bit. Into the same range as the other provinces in fact.)

But typical high school graduation rate stats only include public schools. Which makes sense in most places but not in Quebec. And especially not if one wants an accurate picture of the kind of education francophone Quebec kids are typically getting. (Note that Anglo-Quebec kids are also far less likely to go to private high school.)

In any event, this does open up a possible debate over the presence of private high schools in Quebec and the impact it has on equality of educational opportunity. (Though Quebec does well on this front in terms of accessibility and affordability - but that's another debate.)

Anyway, it's a fallacy (that does serve those with an agenda) to say that Quebec is producing dumb dropouts.

For those who can read French or Google Translate, this article
https://www.ledevoir.com/opinion/chr...s-en-education

... shows that in PISA testing done across over 30 OECD jurisdictions, Quebec kids are 3rd best in the world in math, 6th in reading and 7th in science. Of course, this testing includes all kids - both public and private schooled.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:24 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

For those who can read French or Google Translate, this article
https://www.ledevoir.com/opinion/chr...s-en-education

... shows that in PISA testing done across over 30 OECD jurisdictions, Quebec kids are 3rd best in the world in math, 6th in reading and 7th in science. Of course, this testing includes all kids - both public and private schooled.
I read a translated version. The title was “Are we pockets in education?”.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
"Poche" is a Québécois slang word meaning... "crappy" or "sucky".

Old 04-26-2022, 05:14 PM

143 posts, read 133,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
LOL! Talk about being off to a bad start!

Hope the rest of the article wasn't too mangled.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd very much like to know about how the rest of Canada is undergoing this daily.

It's certainly very diverse (at least in the major cities) and increasingly so, but everyone if they don't know it already, gets down to the business of learning English immediately and quickly.

Colour me skeptical that people actually react with a defiant "English? Phoque dat! anywhere in Anglo-Canada.
A/J I myself have encountered the situation of a resident doctor having limited English at my local physicians clinic. My clinic like many others across the country have student residents fulfilling hours of assisting the local doctors in their practices. It's not unusual for them to not have as their primary language either one of the two official Canadian languages and it is not unusual for them to be hard to understand with their native language accents/inflections.

YOur skepticism is misplaced. No, you'll not see, nor did I imply there were examples of people responding with the defiant "F*** that" in Anglo Canada. Encountering someone not fluent in English really doesn't rise to the level of ire as you'd find in Quebec with French speakers.

I was stating that the problem of encountering a resident you'd have a slight problem understanding is not unique to Quebec and NOT suggesting that people are dealing with it in the same manner as you'd find with some nationalist Quebecers.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:19 PM

143 posts, read 133,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Lastly; in a country with a shortage of medical practioners, we are all tasked with accepting medical care from foreign doctors who might have a very rudimentary grasp of EITHER of the two official languages. This issue is one not unique to Quebec.
Sure, I get that.

Still, being treated by a doctor who's uniligual in Japanese or Swahili or Finnish is unarguably somewhere in between "sorry, there's a shortage of doctors, just pray that your medical issue goes away" and "this competent doctor can treat you AND speaks your language"; it's not THAT close to the latter.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sure, I get that.

Still, being treated by a doctor who's uniligual in Japanese or Swahili or Finnish is unarguably somewhere in between "sorry, there's a shortage of doctors, just pray that your medical issue goes away" and "this competent doctor can treat you AND speaks your language"; it's not THAT close to the latter.
Although with student residents, the crux of the issue I've been debating, one would reasonably expect that both his/her diagnosis and treatment suggestions would be scrutinized by his teaching/practicing LICENSED peer, wouldn't one?

That would of course render your "just pray that your medical issue goes away" a bit of irrelevant whimsy.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:56 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,093,689 times
A GP at an urgent care clinic should definitely speak French well enough to communicate with patients, I don’t think that’s unreasonable to expect. There’s probably some old relics of the pre-PQ era that don’t speak French and are still practising with limited number of long time Anglo patients, but they’re super old and I’d imagine few and far between. I just have a hard time believing there’s a big group of younger doctors who can’t speak French. I do empathize with you Acajack and Bergatto and understand your frustration. I think it’s the right direction to move in to ensure a better understanding of French in the healthcare field, I just worry that the bill being proposed with lead to more difficulty in getting much needed staff and physicians in Quebec rather than better qualified French speakers. Maybe a better approach would be paid language courses at bilingual hospitals that can provide a better understanding for people who need help with either official language. With the shortage of health workers being a problem across the country, I’d argue we should be eliminating barriers to employment for this sector, not creating new ones. This applies across the country

Old 04-26-2022, 07:26 PM

565 posts, read 672,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
There’s probably some old relics of the pre-PQ era that don’t speak French and are still practising with limited number of long time Anglo patients, but they’re super old and I’d imagine few and far between. I just have a hard time believing there’s a big group of younger doctors who can’t speak French.
Typically, as mentioned by Acajack earlier, these med residents who don’t speak French don’t stay in Quebec after they graduate. Even some of the fairly bilingual ones, but who are more comfortable in an English-speaking work environment, tend to move to other provinces after graduation. I actually know a few who have done this. Of course, we can’t stop them, but it’s frustrating for tax-payers who have subsidized their studies. if it was a 2-ways exchange and Quebec got a similar number of doctors trained in the rest of Canada, it wouldn’t be a problem, but it’s not the case.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:53 AM

Who was it that was saying that they missed having spirited discussions on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada