U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2022, 07:35 PM

151 posts, read 102,040 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I am aware Canada has a large immigrant population from India.

Last edited by basket123; 05-19-2022 at 07:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 08:07 PM

13,147 posts, read 11,675,265 times
From my perspective the first word that comes to mind is industrious.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:01 PM

200 posts, read 88,985 times
There is lots of racism and discrimination against Indian subcontinent in Canada. To call a person a "paki" is used as a racist insult and sometimes also the way people talk about punjabi people. Indian subcontinent immigrants are used like cheap workers and 2nd tier citzens. Many immigrants leave Canada because it isn't worth it with the racism and poor economy.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:09 AM

22,750 posts, read 13,829,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
From my perspective the first word that comes to mind is industrious.

X2.

I give thanks for their immigration to Canada to bolster every facet of our economy from Medical profession to Engineering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine...ation_in_India

One million engineering grads per year!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta...h=4cba287f2b5f

Old 05-20-2022, 11:53 AM

2,500 posts, read 1,417,930 times
Who remembers the mass murder of Indians living in Canada?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182

Old 05-20-2022, 12:57 PM

6,729 posts, read 8,058,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I remember it as being big, on-going news here.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:58 PM

22,750 posts, read 13,829,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I remember it VERY well indeed because at the time I was on a 6 month regular weekly scheduled RapidAir commute to Montreal flying out of Toronto on Monday Am returning Friday evening. My committee arrived at the check-in to be confronted for the very first time, after putting luggage on the conveyor rollers to the "arms up and out to the side wanding" by security staff commissionaires who by happenstance, were predominantly of Indian origin.

After the wand alerted to my belt buckle, my watch and all of that typical pipe smoking junk I was carrying, I was told to put all of those items in a plastic tray and get re-wanded so there was quite a bit of reversing and turning around for a re-do which caused a complete cluster-fugg in the check-in area.

This, in keeping with the commuter nature of RapidAir flights being a very lemming-like process ratcheted up the already barely restrained ire of some passengers.

To say the confusion generated and vociferously expressed by some along the vein of "let's get this straight; you guys blow up a plane killing hundreds, and the result is the rest of us have to submit to you guys checking us for bombs?" After taking seats in the boarding lounge, the loud discussions and dirty looks aimed back at the security screening were something really new to the whole boring commuter flight process.

Can you imagine the uproar if that "you guys" statement were to be vocally expressed today? Boy howdy!

At the other end in Mnt'l back in those days, various taxi and limo outfits paid for exclusive rights to pick up passengers at the airport and we had contracted with an outfit that had Lincoln Town cars to provide three of them on a weekly basis to and from the inner city. Guess what ethnicity a few of the drivers were? They very often opened the discussion with questions of what we thought of the whole mess and commiserated that it would all end very badly for those Sikhs with extremist views making targets of their host country's citizens. What else could one have expected them to say?

In the main, that whole period in Canadian history bubbled to a quiet end with the vast majority of Sikhs being simply peace loving and respect-for-life individuals wanting nothing whatsoever to do with killing innocent people to further some futile cause in India.

None of us would ever have thought back then that whole airport security inconvenience would be anything other than temporary in nature. We could not have been more wrong.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:41 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,559,589 times
They always eating good food at home.
Also, corporal punishment is very common, and kids don’t often get to choose their future occupation. Very strict rules about dating for both boys and girls. First generation immigrants are very conservative in ways that make me wonder why they moved to a liberal democracy.
Indian approach to education makes the kids great at formulaic thinking and learning by rote, but not so good at abstract thinking, critical thinking, creative thinking and problem solving. As a result, they thrive in STEM fields, but don’t have much of a presence in the arts and more creative fields.
Those are some of my own stereotypes and ones I’ve encountered.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:50 PM

6,729 posts, read 8,058,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
They always eating good food at home.
Also, corporal punishment is very common, and kids don’t often get to choose their future occupation. Very strict rules about dating for both boys and girls. First generation immigrants are very conservative in ways that make me wonder why they moved to a liberal democracy.
Indian approach to education makes the kids great at formulaic thinking and learning by rote, but not so good at abstract thinking, critical thinking, creative thinking and problem solving. As a result, they thrive in STEM fields, but don’t have much of a presence in the arts and more creative fields.
Those are some of my own stereotypes and ones I’ve encountered.
Well, that's one stereotype I've never heard before considering the wealth of Indian Canadian writers.

Canadian writers who were born in India and write mostly in English, include Bharati Mukherjee, Rohinton Mistry, Stephen Gill, Uma Parameswaran, Saros Cowasjee, S. Padmanab, Lino Leitao, Sophia Mustafa, M. Chaubey, Shiv Chopra, S. Padmanab, and Kuldip Gill. Bharati Mukherjee has moved to the United States.

https://www.pakistanchristianpost.co...on-details/193

https://www.caleidoscope.in/caleidos...n-literature-2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada