Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 11:37 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,528,665 times

Advertisements

Is the US’s gun problem becoming Canada’s gun problem? - The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 06:21 AM

1,119 posts, read 606,309 times
Even though gun ownership is "high" per capita in Canada, because of hunting being so popular, the difference is that most are long guns (one shot rifles or shotguns).

Assault rifles or military style guns are more popular in the States. Let's not even count the millions of hanguns.

In the States the 2nd amendment fuels the charge for pro-gun advocates to fight ANY and all legislation making gun ownership difficult. Whether it be background checks, licenses, training, trade shows, etc. We don't have that problem here in Canada which allows our government to make gun ownership more difficult.

Plus the culture in some States, it's common to see a citizen "strapped". Here in Canada if you even walk around with a fake or airgun (as seen recently in Toronto), people report you and the cops will treat you as a threat.

Personally I think they should ban ALL guns in major urban centers with high punitive laws if you are caught with one.

If you live in the boonies, I can definitely see the need to have a firearm to keep your household safe... but they still need to be licensed and at least pass a safety course.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:33 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Even though gun ownership is "high" per capita in Canada, because of hunting being so popular, the difference is that most are long guns (one shot rifles or shotguns).

Assault rifles or military style guns are more popular in the States. Let's not even count the millions of hanguns.

In the States the 2nd amendment fuels the charge for pro-gun advocates to fight ANY and all legislation making gun ownership difficult. Whether it be background checks, licenses, training, trade shows, etc. We don't have that problem here in Canada which allows our government to make gun ownership more difficult.

Plus the culture in some States, it's common to see a citizen "strapped". Here in Canada if you even walk around with a fake or airgun (as seen recently in Toronto), people report you and the cops will treat you as a threat.

Personally I think they should ban ALL guns in major urban centers with high punitive laws if you are caught with one.

If you live in the boonies, I can definitely see the need to have a firearm to keep your household safe... but they still need to be licensed and at least pass a safety course.
Can you please define assault rifle and major urban center? Thank you.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:03 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Can you please define assault rifle and major urban center? Thank you.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...tomatic%20fire

What Hodgepodge probably meant by one shot rifles are manually powered rifles such as bolt action rifles in which you can only fire one round at a time before having to re-release the breech bolt to ready the next round. These many experts say fire more accurately than semiautomatics which is why they remain popular as sniper rifles and hunting rifles. Assault rifles have selective power, meaning they can fire semi-automatically (firing one shot at a time but without having to continuously release a breech bolt and thereby increasing speed and firepower) or automatically (firing multiple shots at a time just by pressing down the trigger like a submachine gun for which they were arguably designed to replace). The AK-47 and M-16 are two of the most well known assault rifles in military history. The AR-15, which that young man used to kill those kids down in Texas recently, is not an assault rifle because it does not have that selective power knob switch to turn it to full firepower. People keep thinking it is an assault rifle and news reporters once in a while misreport it but that "AR" in AR-15 does not stand for "assault rifle" but ArmaLite, the company that manufactured it.

There is no precise definition of major urban center. Down here in the States, you can choose from the definitions of Municipality, Metropolitan Statistical Area or Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area as defined by the US Census and determine whether the population exceeds a certain population threshold to be considered urban. I am sure Statistics Canada makes similar classifications. Generally speaking, I'd say a place is a major urban center if I see lots of people and buildings around without having to fiddle with the Herfindahl Index of Concentration.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...tomatic%20fire

What Hodgepodge probably meant by one shot rifles are manually powered rifles such as bolt action rifles in which you can only fire one round at a time before having to re-release the breech bolt to ready the next round. These many experts say fire more accurately than semiautomatics which is why they remain popular as sniper rifles and hunting rifles. Assault rifles have selective power, meaning they can fire semi-automatically (firing one shot at a time but without having to continuously release a breech bolt and thereby increasing speed and firepower) or automatically (firing multiple shots at a time just by pressing down the trigger like a submachine gun for which they were arguably designed to replace). The AK-47 and M-16 are two of the most well known assault rifles in military history. The AR-15, which that young man used to kill those kids down in Texas recently, is not an assault rifle because it does not have that selective power knob switch to turn it to full firepower. People keep thinking it is an assault rifle and news reporters once in a while misreport it but that "AR" in AR-15 does not stand for "assault rifle" but ArmaLite, the company that manufactured it.

There is no precise definition of major urban center. Down here in the States, you can choose from the definitions of Municipality, Metropolitan Statistical Area or Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area as defined by the US Census and determine whether the population exceeds a certain population threshold to be considered urban. I am sure Statistics Canada makes similar classifications. Generally speaking, I'd say a place is a major urban center if I see lots of people and buildings around without having to fiddle with the Herfindahl Index of Concentration.
Finally someone with a clue instead of a rant

Old 05-30-2022, 08:44 AM

1,119 posts, read 606,309 times
Maybe a more accurate statement would be banning typical non-hunting type firearms.

Everything else, the main purpose of said firearm is either for military / law enforcement purposes. Therefore I call it assault. Not hunting.

I get that the gun debate is very divisive, even up in Canada. We spent a ridiculous amount of $$$ on the gun registry, that to my knowledge isn't exactly working well.

We run across the same old arguments like "people kill people, not guns", "anything can be used to kill people, I can kill run you over with a car"... etc etc.

It's a commoner's way to rationalize gun ownership. What they don't or refuse to acknowledge is that the only reason a gun is made is to destroy whatever it's aimed at. Be that a woodent target, or human beings. The only reason we make cars is to bring people or items from point A to point B. If we stopped making guns, I'm pretty sure we will survive. If we stopped making cars I'm pretty sure our economies would collapse.

The truth is that both sides will never agree. In the real world extreme views never work out. We need to get together and compromise and try our best to minimize the harms in our life.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:01 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Maybe a more accurate statement would be banning typical non-hunting type firearms.

Everything else, the main purpose of said firearm is either for military / law enforcement purposes. Therefore I call it assault. Not hunting.

I get that the gun debate is very divisive, even up in Canada. We spent a ridiculous amount of $$$ on the gun registry, that to my knowledge isn't exactly working well.

We run across the same old arguments like "people kill people, not guns", "anything can be used to kill people, I can kill run you over with a car"... etc etc.

It's a commoner's way to rationalize gun ownership. What they don't or refuse to acknowledge is that the only reason a gun is made is to destroy whatever it's aimed at. Be that a woodent target, or human beings. The only reason we make cars is to bring people or items from point A to point B. If we stopped making guns, I'm pretty sure we will survive. If we stopped making cars I'm pretty sure our economies would collapse.

The truth is that both sides will never agree. In the real world extreme views never work out. We need to get together and compromise and try our best to minimize the harms in our life.
I agree with this. It is sensible. I think the majority of these mass shootings have been with weapons such as the AR-15. I'm not sure how any country would want to advocate the legality of owning such weapons of destruction. Sure a kid or anyone for that matter could use a simple hunting gun/shot gun you have it and inflict death and harm. Sure a machete could do same but these mass shooters are choosing weapons such as the AR-15 for a reason... and for that reason, I don't think they should be legal or allowed on the streets or anywhere in our society for that matter.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:49 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Canada can do as she pleases, but there is not a gun problem in the US. There is a drug problem and a gang problem, and a crime problem, and a problem that is caused by not punishing criminals or helping those with mental issues. Guns are not the problem.

It's not like the US has any more mass murders than Canada does, so I am not seeing where Canada has any basis for being self-righteous about the issue.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree with this. It is sensible. I think the majority of these mass shootings have been with weapons such as the AR-15. I'm not sure how any country would want to advocate the legality of owning such weapons of destruction. Sure a kid or anyone for that matter could use a simple hunting gun/shot gun you have it and inflict death and harm. Sure a machete could do same but these mass shooters are choosing weapons such as the AR-15 for a reason... and for that reason, I don't think they should be legal or allowed on the streets or anywhere in our society for that matter.
And what is their reason for choosing weapons such as AR-15?

Old 05-30-2022, 10:23 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:

Uvalde is a pretty rural area close to the border of Mexico which is overrun with many illegals who are often dangerous criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada