Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 06:47 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepretata View Post
Sorry but people in Canada don't suffer from the same paranoia you guys in the US have.

Nobody goes around thinking "I need to buy guns in case the government decides to establish a tyrannical regime".

That kind of mentality doesn't fly in Canada, in part because people are more educated and also because there are are not many far-right media outlets poisoning people's minds with that sort of trash.
As an immigrant to BOTH Canada and the US, the two countries are VERY DIFFERENT culturally and have been for hundreds of years.

Yep, Canada has NEVER faced a "tyrannical regime". The United Kingdom INSISTED that Canada become a independent country, they didn't want INDEPENDENCE.

We all know about 1776 in the US.

That cultural difference exists to this day. Canada was a CORPORATE state, basically the Hudson Bay Company established the countries culture. Almost ALL Canadians buy into the CORPORATE culture idea, to this day.

I find it amusing that in the US, the MOST patriotic Americans are gun owners. They fly the flag at all times, yet keep a gun so they can use it against the same flag should the government become a "tyrannical regime".

Yes, Canada has "more educated" people, but don't confuse a education with intelligence. The correlation is much less than you think, but "educated" people like to believe that since it makes them "more important".

Canadians have some of the WORST immigration laws in the WORLD when it comes to equity. The US on the other hand has had a open border policy since 1980. Yet, Canada thinks US immigration policy is AWFUL because it is racist!!!! Wow!

Both countries are good and good countries are rare in this world.

Canada is a good country for old people set in their ways, the US is a good country for young people wanting to change the world.

That is why so many smart, creative Canadians move to the US.

It is also why stick in the mud Americans find Canada such a attractive place. I am sure MORE liberal Americans would move to Canada if Canada opened it borders.

Since this a gun thread. I waited until I crossed the border to buy bear spray. Yes, for years the Canadian government banned American made bear spray from crossing the border.

In Canada, I bought bear spray made in Montana. Only in Canada.

But what really caught my eye in the sporting goods store in Merritt, BC were ALL the AR-15 guns and their ilk for sale in the sporting goods store.

Which ONLY Canadians could buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 07:18 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Canadians have some of the WORST immigration laws in the WORLD when it comes to equity. The US on the other hand has had a open border policy since 1980. Yet, Canada thinks US immigration policy is AWFUL because it is racist!!!! Wow!
News to me. I’ve never heard or read of any Canadian, let alone a vast majority of Canadians, saying that and I’ve lived in Canada all my life.

Was your comment based on some sort of big survey on the subject?

Old 06-01-2022, 07:32 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
[QUOTE
That's one of the worst opinion pieces I have ever read, and yes, it would appear he's Canadian. There's not even an attempt to present a conservative political POV, but only some strange urge to bash Canada to an audience unlikely to take issue with it.

Australia defined by its "frontier spirit?" Britain by its "rich cultural and political history" (with nary a mention of the darker side of colonialism)? But Canada? Well, shucks. Tie us in a bag and throw us in the creek. It's laughable.

I've noticed before that there is no one so unbalanced as someone bashing their own country, presumably in an effort to be unbiased. I've noticed that in other nationalities.[/quote]

To be fair, I did make some comments about positive contributions Canada made to the United States - William Shatner, Leslie Nielsen, the two Lornes (Greene and Michaels), even Paul Anka.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
News to me. I’ve never heard or read of any Canadian, let alone a vast majority of Canadians, saying that and I’ve lived in Canada all my life.

Was your comment based on some sort of big survey on the subject?
Nope, I live a 100 miles from the Canadian border...so get to listen to CBC and read Canadian news. For awhile there, even though I lived in the US I could only get Canadian TV and radio stations.

I do like Hockey Night in Canada.

Do you listen to CBC??

Last edited by 509; 06-01-2022 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-01-2022, 08:42 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Nope, I live a 100 miles from the Canadian border...so get to listen to CBC and read Canadian news. For awhile there, even though I lived in the US I could only get Canadian TV and radio stations.

Do you listen to CBC??
No, I no longer listen to the news on radio or watch TV news, except for breaking stories. I just wondered how you would know what a vast majority of Canadians think across the country. Polls would be the only way.

I object to being bashed based on a false assumption that I have a certain point of view. I don’t have a point of view. I’ve never lived in the U.S. and have no first hand experience with the issue.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:08 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
That's one of the worst opinion pieces I have ever read, and yes, it would appear he's Canadian. There's not even an attempt to present a conservative political POV, but only some strange urge to bash Canada to an audience unlikely to take issue with it.

Australia defined by its "frontier spirit?" Britain by its "rich cultural and political history" (with nary a mention of the darker side of colonialism)? But Canada? Well, shucks. Tie us in a bag and throw us in the creek. It's laughable.

I've noticed before that there is no one so unbalanced as someone bashing their own country, presumably in an effort to be unbiased. I've noticed that in other nationalities.
To be fair, I did make some comments about positive contributions Canada made to the United States - William Shatner, Leslie Nielsen, the two Lornes (Greene and Michaels), even Paul Anka.[/quote]

I didn't see any comments of yours. I didn't read the comments to the article on the website - it wasn't worth the time.

I was shocked that a formerly reputable journal would publish such claptrap. It reads like it was written by a pissed off teenager.

My stepson who was visiting made a comment that's appropriate in this case: "You can have a discussion with someone who is informed but nothing results with the uninformed but an argument."

Old 06-01-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
no, i no longer listen to the news on radio or watch tv news, except for breaking stories. I just wondered how you would know what a vast majority of canadians think across the country. Polls would be the only way.

I object to being bashed based on a false assumption that i have a certain point of view. i don’t have a point of view. I’ve never lived in the u.s. And have no first hand experience with the issue.
ok....

Old 06-01-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepretata View Post
I have never heard that "Canada considers the US immigration system racist", that sounds totally made up.

Another mass shooting in the US a couple of hours ago in Oklahoma.

But those doors...
from your Prime Minister

Trudeau first invited the world’s immigrants after President Trump announced his initial “travel ban” from specific, troubled-nations.

“To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you,” he tweeted.

The Prime Minister now seeks to change the original law, requiring those seeking asylum in Canada to “first” register with their nation of origin; in this case the United States.

WAIT, is that not the same as former President Trump's policies on asylum??

Canada is blessed by being a homogeneous country that limits immigration from poor, uneducated people throughout the world.
In fact, I was a legal immigrant to Canada and the government recinded my legal status now that I am an OLD person. If you want to immigrate to Canada, better not be poor, uneducated or old.

I did look up the statistics for gun deaths in the US from CDC.

About 66% were suicides. You can kill yourself in Canada and the government will help you do it, but you can't use a gun and do it yourself. Very Canadian.

Another 12% primarily black on black shooting deaths.

Another 8% primarily brown on brown shooting deaths.

Another 2% primarily Indian shooting deaths.

Anyway, when you get to the ethnic and racial make up of Canada and use it for gun deaths in the US, the statistics are pretty much identical.

Gun deaths in the US, outside of suicides, are an issue in primarily three cultural groups.

BTW, the challenges the US faces in Indian communities is the same as those faced in Canada. I drove 100 miles in the Yukon just to find a campsite away from an Indian community. It wasn't safe.

Gun deaths are a cultural issue. It isn't about the gun, it is about the culture of the group.

But with the WOKE culture, we cannot bring that issue up for discussion.

But I have to give Canada credit, you limit the immigration of the poor that is responsible for much of the gun deaths in the US.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:

Do you listen to CBC??
The time in recent memory that America's immigration policy got dissed for being racist is when immigration from Muslim countries got stopped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execut...onald%20Trump.

So, perhaps that's what's behind the 'racism' accusation.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:40 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The time in recent memory that America's immigration policy got dissed for being racist is when immigration from Muslim countries got stopped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execut...onald%20Trump.

So, perhaps that's what's behind the 'racism' accusation.
I believe that Harper was only willing to accept Christian Syrian refugees. So maybe it is mor a right versus modeate reason for racism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada