Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 12:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
I think people, regardless of where they live, have a natural right to defend themselves against those who would otherwise do them harm. I'm glad I don't live in Canada, however since Trudeau wants to restrict Canadian citizen's ability to defend themselves, I hope the US can send as many firearms to law abiding citizens as possible. The problem here is many of these weapons will also end up in the hands of criminals (they'll get them anyway). I think the Canadian Government should back off of its' recently announced coming restrictions... or prepare for a much HIGHER flood of firearms from the US.
Why would you wish to smiggle guns into another country? Unles it is too make a profit. Maybe first learn about the laws of the country. Self defense is not a reason to buy a firearm in Canada. Secondly the ownership of handguns is already severely restricted. And most importantly anyone who can pass th requirements will still be able to purchase a rifle or shotgun. The current law limiteds your assult style firearm to 5 roubds same as any other rifle.

Not sure why you have a fear for Canadians to defend ourselves. I have known 6 or 7 people who have either been shot or shot someone and no criminals were involved in any if those incidents. Nor in my 70 plus years have I know anyone to need to defend themselves with a firearm from humans. And a rifle is sufficient to kill or scare off a bear.

It is up to Canadians to choose their laws and if enough of us do not like it we can change the government with an election. We do not need Americans deciding about our laws.

There are already too many guns coming illegal from the States and the proposed law will make it tougher to do so and to extend the punishment for the criminals that do it. And by the way what you proposing are criminal acts sl you are no better than those you already consider criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Thank you for the PC clarification.

Come to think of it, I think I'm the same - I've never seen anybody armed except for police officers or brinks truck type officers.

The difference in cultures are stark. Even in our largest cities seeing a gun is strange. But I guess in Texas we can walk to the corner store strapped to get our bags of milk... ooops they don't have them in bags lol.
Even spending a decade working on an army base I hardly saw any hanguns and rifles only when battle groups were in.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:59 PM

13,616 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepretata View Post
Sorry but people in Canada don't suffer from the same paranoia you guys in the US have.

Nobody goes around thinking "I need to buy guns in case the government decides to establish a tyrannical regime".
It's not "paranoia", and there's no "in case".

If the past 2 years didn't wake you up, I guess nothing will.

Just because you personally beg for and welcome your chains, don't expect the rest of us to.

How's this for newspeak:

"We cannot let the gun debate became so polarized that nothing gets done. We cannot let that happen in our country. This is about freedom. People should be free to go to the supermarket, their school or their place of worship without fear.” – Justin Trudeau

"War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength"

Old 05-31-2022, 01:16 PM

13,616 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
I was about to reply, then I saw this poster is from Alabama.

So why even bother?
Classy post.

Bigoted much?

Old 05-31-2022, 02:19 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Sorry but people in Canada don't suffer from the same paranoia you guys in the US have.

Nobody goes around thinking "I need to buy guns in case the government decides to establish a tyrannical regime".

That kind of mentality doesn't fly in Canada, in part because people are more educated and also because there are are not many far-right media outlets poisoning people's minds with that sort of trash.

Similar mentality pretty much in most Western/civilized/developed countries.
Gun-crazy is unique to the US - home to liberty, the pursuit of happiness and the most mass shootings in the world.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/ameri...ics/index.html

Old 05-31-2022, 02:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
The shooter was not an immigrant.
Perhaps, but Uvalde is close to border, and is low income. There are drug gangs around. Being so close to border its likely a hub of criminal activity. Should everyone lose the right to self defense because of one mentally ill teen?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...lde/ar-AALjBih

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdtx/pr...federal-prison

Old 05-31-2022, 02:33 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Similar mentality pretty much in most Western/civilized/developed countries.
Gun-crazy is unique to the US - home to liberty, the pursuit of happiness and the most mass shootings in the world.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/ameri...ics/index.html
Following the events of the Ukraine-Russia war has made me much more aware of the kind of long range weaponry countries have access to. Stockpiles of guns and ammunition by citizens in revolt are no match for that. Think for example of the bombs that military drones could drop.

Old 05-31-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Just because you personally beg for and welcome your chains, don't expect the rest of us to.

How's this for newspeak:

"We cannot let the gun debate became so polarized that nothing gets done. We cannot let that happen in our country. This is about freedom. People should be free to go to the supermarket, their school or their place of worship without fear.” – Justin Trudeau

Mike. No one is asking Americans to stop school shootings and mass killings. Well maybe American children and those who understand that sensible gun control does not mean taking away allnof your guns. Just because Americans believe that everyone, even those with unbalanced minds need all kinds of guns does not mean those in other countries cannot be Independent of your. gun culture.

I wear no chains being able to walk the streets at night go to the bar or gas station or go to school without the needs to orotect myself from.my fellow Canadians and I sure do not fear my government. For obe thing in the entire history of our country the government has shown no willingness to spend the money needed to put chains on the public.

When you do not understand another culture do not to impose your own culture upon it. It is true greedom to not be afraid of your government, your neighbour or strangers. You may fear those but we do not.

As far as the last two years, guns are useless against a virus or if you are talking about your side lossing an election tough you are also living in a democracy. We have not gone through the nonsense of trying to twart the will of the people.

Old 05-31-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Perhaps, but Uvalde is close to border, and is low income. There are drug gangs around. Being so close to border its likely a hub of criminal activity. Should everyone lose the right to self defense because of one mentally ill teen?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...lde/ar-AALjBih

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdtx/pr...federal-prison
However the new Canadian law does not take away a single Canadians right to self defense other than perhaps a mentally ill one.

How hard is it for Americans to understand that it takes sone element of gun control laws to keep gubs out of the hands of the mentally ill or unhinged? Nineteen children and two adults lost not only all their rights but their lives because your country finds doind through background checks too much of an inconvience? Think about that, just a little more time and paperwork and that killer could not have bought those two rifles and slaughterec thode young children. But you put the convience of little background checks as more important than childrens lives. And you wish other countries were as heartless as your country. Guess you did not know any of these kids. This time.

Oh also the terms of self defense are stricter here than south of the border.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

How's this for newspeak:

Another point to make. If Trudeau did somehow decide to be a tryant leader of Canada why would you have a problem with that? He is a Catholic after all so is why do you see that as bad?

The new gun law will not make Canadians more at risk from their government. We still will have our rifles and shotguns and the government will still have tanks but whythink our soldiers would fight against the people. That is outright bizzare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada