Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 07:26 PM

3,961 posts, read 5,699,881 times

Advertisements

A major, major overlooked reason why gun culture is so much more prevalent in the US than Canada is because gun manufacturing is a big business down here. Colt, Smith and Wesson, ArmaLite, and all the other firearms manufacturers reap major profits from their products and everyone knows the purpose of living in America is to do business and make money. It's very hard given the American Constitution to rein in these firms and limit the production and distribution of firearms because if you rein in one firm, you'd have to do it to all. We tried to prohibit the manufacturing, sale, and distribution of alcohol a century ago and see how that went. Interestingly enough, people continuously blame our 2nd Amendment to the Constitution as the cause of our gun culture but all the 2nd Amendment does is to grant the ordinary citizen the right to bear arms. The Commerce Clause in my opinion has more fault along with the 10th Amendment to the Constitution and the strong sense of individual greed and identity above that of societal identity many Americans have. Canadians are culturally more collective and societal in terms of identity. There isn't that urge to make big money at the expense of everyone else's well-being like there is among some Americans. If there ever were a gun manufacturer like Smith and Wesson in Canada, they'd likely have to settle for a smaller footprint and a smaller market because of the stricter gun laws and lesser demand for firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 07:35 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,309,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

At least Canada has enough sense to waste no time in recognizing ,they just can't sit back and just wait for something to happen. I give Canada alot of credit for taking action.
Well that is a interesting statement, the "somebody do something!" mentality so let me ask you some things. Here in America and other places like France there have been numerous Islamic terrorist attacks be it with guns, bombs or vehicles. Under your logic, logic dictates that if there is a pattern with numerous Islamic attacks then it would be prudent to focus on Muslims wouldn't it just like you want to focus on guns? However what has Trudeau and other left politicians done?, they were quick to state that "not all Muslims are like that, it was the actions of a few and underplay it and call anybody a racist if they call out Islam. But when it comes to guns they say all guns are bad, nobody needs one, and lumps all gun owners together. Kind of hypocritical.

He says people don't need a gun in everyday life, except him of course surrounded by guns and security all the time. What do you think he would say if you called him out on that? He would say well he is the leader and special. Well oh really? So let me ask you what do you think of yourself?, do you think you are not important?, do you think rules for Trudeau apply to him but not to you?.

Let me ask you are you a woman, or maybe you have a daughter?. Or maybe you are a man that is being stalked by a deranged person or ex. So you or the person being stalked go to the police and file a complaint then the police make a a restraining order. But the stalker keeps harassing you or said person and gets more scary. So you or the person being stalked go to buy a gun and Trudeau and the authorities say no you don't need one. Few days later the deranged stalker kills the person . Cops show up later and say sorry for your loss oh well we arrested him now though. Well that's just comforting now isn't it?

Old 05-31-2022, 07:43 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,309,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepretata View Post
Sorry but people in Canada don't suffer from the same paranoia you guys in the US have.

Nobody goes around thinking "I need to buy guns in case the government decides to establish a tyrannical regime".

That kind of mentality doesn't fly in Canada, in part because people are more educated and also because there are are not many far-right media outlets poisoning people's minds with that sort of trash.
More educated?, or just more indoctrinated? Interesting that you mention favoring information being limited, because when information is limited you are limited to being educated more inclined to being indoctrinated. Echo chambers and approved state media doesn't enlighten people, they censor freedom.

There is also a difference between educated and wisdom. The most educated person ever that lives in a bubble will never have everyday gained wisdom.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 5,410,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Let me ask you are you a woman, or maybe you have a daughter?. Or maybe you are a man that is being stalked by a deranged person or ex. So you or the person being stalked go to the police and file a complaint then the police make a a restraining order. But the stalker keeps harassing you or said person and gets more scary. So you or the person being stalked go to buy a gun and Trudeau and the authorities say no you don't need one. Few days later the deranged stalker kills the person . Cops show up later and say sorry for your loss oh well we arrested him now though. Well that's just comforting now isn't it?
Not asked of me, but I’m a woman. In your your scenario, I’d feel less scared if I knew my stalker was unlikely to have a handgun. Guns can be fired from a distance and can catch a victim unaware.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:30 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
Well that is a interesting statement, the "somebody do something!" mentality so let me ask you some things. Here in America and other places like France there have been numerous Islamic terrorist attacks be it with guns, bombs or vehicles. Under your logic, logic dictates that if there is a pattern with numerous Islamic attacks then it would be prudent to focus on Muslims wouldn't it just like you want to focus on guns? However what has Trudeau and other left politicians done?, they were quick to state that "not all Muslims are like that, it was the actions of a few and underplay it and call anybody a racist if they call out Islam. But when it comes to guns they say all guns are bad, nobody needs one, and lumps all gun owners together. Kind of hypocritical.

He says people don't need a gun in everyday life, except him of course surrounded by guns and security all the time. What do you think he would say if you called him out on that? He would say well he is the leader and special. Well oh really? So let me ask you what do you think of yourself?, do you think you are not important?, do you think rules for Trudeau apply to him but not to you?.

How many stalkers are killed in self defense in the US?

Old 05-31-2022, 09:13 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,280,065 times
Quote:

You obviously do not know existing Canadian gun laws. You cannot obtain a permit to buy a gun for self defense. Nothing Trudeau changed.

And you can buy rifles and shutguns unde the new laws. So your Muslim example is a fine one, nit all Muslims are terrorists (and it is totally racist to think they sre) abd not all guns to be banned.. Makng false statementds do not do your cause any good.

Are you allowed to buy fully automatic machine guns in your country? You know the type with the rounds on a belt and the army uses behind sandbags? No! So you vcan have gun control butvwe cant? Or our rules need to be identical to yours?

In addition it has been maybe 40 years since you coulc just go out and buy a gun. Canadians need to apply for a permit and that takes over a month. Your Texas shooter did not hsve a properbackgroubd check and 19 little kids are no more. And you get upset because we do not want that happening here.

And little children will continue .to be moeed down unlesd they are confined to hogh security prisions because you find any controls on gun purchases unacceptable. Plus we do not have a second ammenment right to pretend you are in a western or hereo movie.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:24 PM

13,363 posts, read 7,666,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Another point to make. If Trudeau did somehow decide to be a tryant leader of Canada why would you have a problem with that? He is a Catholic after all so is why do you see that as bad?

The new gun law will not make Canadians more at risk from their government. We still will have our rifles and shotguns and the government will still have tanks but whythink our soldiers would fight against the people. That is outright bizzare.
Trudeau has already shown his colors. If you're on his side, then you are simply not on the side of liberty and personal autonomy.

Some of the worst human beings who ever lived have been Catholics. Identifying as Catholic gives no one a free pass to not live, act, and serve like a Catholic.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:38 PM

1,761 posts, read 859,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Even though gun ownership is "high" per capita in Canada, because of hunting being so popular, the difference is that most are long guns (one shot rifles or shotguns).

Assault rifles or military style guns are more popular in the States. Let's not even count the millions of hanguns.

In the States the 2nd amendment fuels the charge for pro-gun advocates to fight ANY and all legislation making gun ownership difficult. Whether it be background checks, licenses, training, trade shows, etc. We don't have that problem here in Canada which allows our government to make gun ownership more difficult.

Plus the culture in some States, it's common to see a citizen "strapped". Here in Canada if you even walk around with a fake or airgun (as seen recently in Toronto), people report you and the cops will treat you as a threat.

Personally I think they should ban ALL guns in major urban centers with high punitive laws if you are caught with one.

If you live in the boonies, I can definitely see the need to have a firearm to keep your household safe... but they still need to be licensed and at least pass a safety course.
It is very uncommon to see anyone “strapped” in the States. Such hyperbolic comments just show how ignorant you are of the facts. I probably came in contact or passed by a thousand people here in the States today and I saw no “strapped” citizens.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:43 PM

1,039 posts, read 563,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
It is very uncommon to see anyone “strapped” in the States. Such hyperbolic comments just show how ignorant you are of the facts. I probably came in contact or passed by a thousand people here in the States today and I saw no “strapped” citizens.
"in some States". Please read carefully before you rage reply.

BTW all your comments have shown that you are angry and don't want your freedumb to carry stepped on. Don't worry you live in the States, just stay outa Canada eh

Old 05-31-2022, 09:52 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,533,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...tomatic%20fire

What Hodgepodge probably meant by one shot rifles are manually powered rifles such as bolt action rifles in which you can only fire one round at a time before having to re-release the breech bolt to ready the next round. These many experts say fire more accurately than semiautomatics which is why they remain popular as sniper rifles and hunting rifles. Assault rifles have selective power, meaning they can fire semi-automatically (firing one shot at a time but without having to continuously release a breech bolt and thereby increasing speed and firepower) or automatically (firing multiple shots at a time just by pressing down the trigger like a submachine gun for which they were arguably designed to replace). The AK-47 and M-16 are two of the most well known assault rifles in military history. The AR-15, which that young man used to kill those kids down in Texas recently, is not an assault rifle because it does not have that selective power knob switch to turn it to full firepower. People keep thinking it is an assault rifle and news reporters once in a while misreport it but that "AR" in AR-15 does not stand for "assault rifle" but ArmaLite, the company that manufactured it.

There is no precise definition of major urban center. Down here in the States, you can choose from the definitions of Municipality, Metropolitan Statistical Area or Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area as defined by the US Census and determine whether the population exceeds a certain population threshold to be considered urban. I am sure Statistics Canada makes similar classifications. Generally speaking, I'd say a place is a major urban center if I see lots of people and buildings around without having to fiddle with the Herfindahl Index of Concentration.
Is a semi-automatic shotgun an assault weapon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada