U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 03:14 PM

3,422 posts, read 4,758,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Every place in Canada has ABC-CBS-NBC-FOX stations on basic cable.

In Atlantic Canada they are the Boston stations.

Where I live they are Detroit stations so I can watch Detroit local news. It used to be Rochester NY stations here but it was changed.
That is what is so puzzling to me. Detroit isn't even near Ottawa-Gatineau. Detroit local news may be relevant to residents of Windsor but how is it significant to Ottawa-Gatineau? I suppose it's to give Canadians more outlets for American national news though in addition to CNN and Fox, CBC and CTV already have a good deal of American news.

I wonder if CBC and CTV are available on cable down here then .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 09:13 PM

25,722 posts, read 33,898,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That is what is so puzzling to me. Detroit isn't even near Ottawa-Gatineau. Detroit local news may be relevant to residents of Windsor but how is it significant to Ottawa-Gatineau? I suppose it's to give Canadians more outlets for American national news though in addition to CNN and Fox, CBC and CTV already have a good deal of American news.

They are on our cable systems for entertainment programming, not the news.

I am curious so I sometimes watch but few people here watch Detroit news. It's sometimes freaky to the point of being otherworldly for us.

I actually preferred Rochester though honestly we have no more ties to them than Detroit.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:20 PM

17,195 posts, read 12,717,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post

I believe only with a VPN.

CBC radio however can be in some places if they are near the border. I've met some Washingtonians who listen to CBC radio.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:22 PM

17,195 posts, read 12,717,639 times
Quote:
They are on our cable systems for entertainment programming, not the news.

I am curious so I sometimes watch but few people here watch Detroit news. It's sometimes freaky to the point of being otherworldly for us.

I actually preferred Rochester though honestly we have no more ties to them than Detroit.
Yup.

When I had cable, I watched news from Chicago, LA and some other US cities. Purely for the shock value.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:12 PM

3,178 posts, read 2,590,965 times
Quote:
Every place in Canada has ABC-CBS-NBC-FOX stations on basic cable.
Agree. Every cable package I've ever had in Canada has included all of the above. Plus PBS.

Here in southern Alberta, our American networks come from the network affiliates in Spokane, Washington; and when I was in Toronto, they came from Buffalo, NY. But sometimes weirdness occurs--I remember staying in a hotel someplace (Drummondville or Gaspe, QC, maybe; or Yellowknife, NWT) where the American networks came from Detroit, hundreds of miles away.

But yes, getting American networks on Canadian cable is perfectly normal and expected.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:25 AM

78,839 posts, read 72,861,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Agree. Every cable package I've ever had in Canada has included all of the above. Plus PBS.

Here in southern Alberta, our American networks come from the network affiliates in Spokane, Washington; and when I was in Toronto, they came from Buffalo, NY. But sometimes weirdness occurs--I remember staying in a hotel someplace (Drummondville or Gaspe, QC, maybe; or Yellowknife, NWT) where the American networks came from Detroit, hundreds of miles away.

But yes, getting American networks on Canadian cable is perfectly normal and expected.
I think I watch Wheel and Jeopardy on a Buffalo station. The times are switched, though, from when they are on in the NYC metro. Jeopardy is first at 7 and Wheel at 7:30. Here it is the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada