U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2022, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Norteh Bajo Americano
1,631 posts, read 2,125,484 times
Reputation: 2075

Advertisements

California has a special blend that is made for the state thus why it's more expensive $1 or so more than other states. The notorious smog pollution and no rain, storms especally during summer and fall to clean it out, had created hazardous physical breathing lung damage. The mountains trap this pollution whereas other cities don't have geographical features that trap it.

While people are shocked by California prices, the difference in air quality from 1980s or earlier to now is night and day. You can see mountains in peak summer from 30+ miles away vs not even seeing it at 10 miles away. Just Google los angeles smog then and now.

It will always be $1 higher before tax is calculated. I do think oil refineries do slightly inflate prices because they can.too much demand
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2022, 04:03 PM
 
9,215 posts, read 3,679,576 times
Reputation: 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Key difference is (any my family members made this observation during their recent visit as well) that in FL, EVERYTHING requires a lengthy commute, by car. Even within city limits. Our cities are not nearly as compact as they are in Canada. Even the suburbs around Montreal and Toronto, for instance, are densely built, and tightly wrapped around the main city. In Florida, you pretty much HAVE to drive distances to get anywhere.
Cities like Calgary are widely spaced and built for cars and pickups
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2022, 11:22 AM
 
Location: West Florida
14,718 posts, read 11,937,761 times
Reputation: 19862
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Cities like Calgary are widely spaced and built for cars and pickups
Really?
I haven’t been to Calgary, but just looking at maps, it looks much more densely built, which seems to be how Canadian cities are built in general. (Grew up in Montreal, and it is night and day vs most US cities.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2022, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,330 posts, read 13,548,861 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
So Canada is paying what would be equal to around $8.00 or more per gallon for gas in the USA. And here we are in Florida complaining because we are paying just below $5.00 or so per gallon. Has the gas been steadily going up in price as it has here?
Ok unless my gas conversion tool is totally out of wack I don't think anybody in Canada is @ 8 bucks a gallon. That would be 2.75 bucks a litre. Gas is around 2 bucks a litre now in the GTA - so around 6 bucks a gallon is more like it. You're catching up....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2022, 10:30 AM
Status: "Delete double post" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Florida
8,779 posts, read 14,983,741 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ok unless my gas conversion tool is totally out of wack I don't think anybody in Canada is @ 8 bucks a gallon. That would be 2.75 bucks a litre. Gas is around 2 bucks a litre now in the GTA - so around 6 bucks a gallon is more like it. You're catching up....
Oh OK I probably didn't convert it right. $6.00 hopefully it doesn't go up anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2022, 12:33 PM
 
9,215 posts, read 3,679,576 times
Reputation: 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Really?
I haven’t been to Calgary, but just looking at maps, it looks much more densely built, which seems to be how Canadian cities are built in general. (Grew up in Montreal, and it is night and day vs most US cities.)
I only know of the central areas of Montreal but Calgary is built for cars and lots of suburbs. It does have rapid transit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2022, 02:36 PM
Status: "Delete double post" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Florida
8,779 posts, read 14,983,741 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
California has a special blend that is made for the state thus why it's more expensive $1 or so more than other states. The notorious smog pollution and no rain, storms especally during summer and fall to clean it out, had created hazardous physical breathing lung damage. The mountains trap this pollution whereas other cities don't have geographical features that trap it.

While people are shocked by California prices, the difference in air quality from 1980s or earlier to now is night and day. You can see mountains in peak summer from 30+ miles away vs not even seeing it at 10 miles away. Just Google los angeles smog then and now.

It will always be $1 higher before tax is calculated. I do think oil refineries do slightly inflate prices because they can.too much demand
That is true I could never see the mountains very well, when I lived in Southern Calif in the 1970's and 80's. Now days when I have visited there is much less smog, and the mountains are visible. So yes the special blend for Calif gas is needed, to deal with the high level of smog in that state. Unfortunately it raises the cost of gas considerably. California's gas tax goes up again next month. So I hate to think what they will end up paying. I really don't see how people can pay such outrageous prices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top