U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 09:11 PM

22,579 posts, read 29,167,965 times

Advertisements

A Canadian friend recently moved from Vancouver to a place called Glace Bay in Nova Scotia. I wanted to send her a gift card. Since she's starting with very little, she requested a Walmart gift card. Then, we both found out that US purchased Walmart cards do not work in Canadian Walmarts. I little more digging revealed that other gift cards also do not work.

Does anyone know gift cards - (including ViSA, Am-Ex etc) that DO work in Canada if purchased in the US?

She is starting a new life by herself, and a cancer survivor. I want to make her transition a little easier.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 09:44 PM

6,728 posts, read 8,053,227 times
Purchase a digital gift card from Walmart Canada https://www.walmart.ca/cp/browse/gif...-6000197915574

Old 06-27-2022, 12:53 AM

13,126 posts, read 11,656,809 times
If you can't send her a gift card you could send her a cashier's cheque from your bank that she can deposit into her personal account, or send her an international postal money order which is redeemable in any post office in USA and Canada.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:08 AM

3,180 posts, read 2,588,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you can't send her a gift card you could send her a cashier's cheque from your bank that she can deposit into her personal account, or send her an international postal money order which is redeemable in any post office in USA and Canada.
To this I'll add that cashier's cheques, money orders, and bank drafts, denominated in US (or Canadian) dollars, payable to the bearer, and drawn on US banks are easily negotiated in Canada.

You didn't ask, but I will add: what you do not want to do is send a personal cheque drawn on a US bank. Yes, a US cheque can be negotiated in Canada, and yes, it will eventually clear (assuming the funds are there), but it will take up to six months to do so. My American ex-wife was always disappointed on her birthday, when her mother sent her US$50, on a personal cheque drawn on a Seattle bank. After clearing fees, and service fees, and currency conversions, and four to six months to clear, she was left with maybe C$30, if she was lucky. As she often said, "I wish Mom had just sent me a teddy bear; that would have been so much easier."

I'd suggest what was suggested earlier: a digital gift card from Walmart Canada. Or a bank draft in Canadian dollars. Immediately cashable at any Canadian bank, and the cash can be used at any Canadian retailer. Something to consider anyway.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:51 AM

30,168 posts, read 41,230,033 times
Does Amazon issue a gift card?

The problem with gift cards is that the currencies in the two countries are different. Have you looked online to see if you can purchase a Canadian Walmart card? Your card will charge you the exchange rate plus a transaction fee. You will probably pay the tourist exchange rate unless at some point you did your research to find a card that would charge the commercial exchange rate. (are you certain she has a Walmart?)

Old 06-27-2022, 02:10 PM

13,126 posts, read 11,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The problem with gift cards is that the currencies in the two countries are different. Have you looked online to see if you can purchase a Canadian Walmart card? Your card will charge you the exchange rate plus a transaction fee. You will probably pay the tourist exchange rate unless at some point you did your research to find a card that would charge the commercial exchange rate. (are you certain she has a Walmart?)
There is a Walmart super center in Sydney which is 20 km (20 minutes) away from Glace Bay.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There is a Walmart super center in Sydney which is 20 km (20 minutes) away from Glace Bay.

She knows that, which was why the requested it. She could have purchased food, linens, bath towels, cleaning products, etc. there, so we both thought that was a good bet. Except it wasn't.

She was in a rather desperate situation, so I resorted to "old school" with Western Union. She sold her car, and most of her personal possessions to make this move.

As far as a personal check is concerned, she hasn't opened a bank account yet. She no longer works because she is in remission from breast cancer, so she is on a disability program.

If I am not sending money, to her, does anyone know if American department stores will deliver to Canada?

Thanks to all of you who gave suggestions!

Old 06-27-2022, 03:37 PM

78,772 posts, read 72,819,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The Amazons in the two countries are different, too. My Amazon.com, which is US, did not work here. I had to set up an Amazon.ca account. (I also have two separate Netflix accounts, one US, one Canadian. They don't cross the border.)

Also, sheena, some other stores besides Walmart from which you can order online have a Canadian counterpart. I have bought things from Old Navy Canada to have delivered while I am up here.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Amazons in the two countries are different, too. My Amazon.com, which is US, did not work here. I had to set up an Amazon.ca account. (I also have two separate Netflix accounts, one US, one Canadian. They don't cross the border.)

Also, sheena, some other stores besides Walmart from which you can order online have a Canadian counterpart. I have bought things from Old Navy Canada to have delivered while I am up here.
Thanks MQ. I think the only thing she doesn't need are clothes. The cottage she is renting in sparsely furnished.

It's very frustrating that we are so close geographically, and many stores have the same name, but gift cards, which are easy to send, don't work.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:57 PM

6,287 posts, read 4,147,699 times
I’m Canadian and use Amazon.ca. However I was able to sign in to Amazon.com just now using the same email address and password. Once in, I navigated to the screen to buy an American gift card (“This Gift Card can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services available on Amazon.com, and cannot be used on Amazon websites in other countries.”)

See if you can do the reverse i.e. sign into Amazon.ca and buy a gift card from there. Your credit card would be charged the U.S. dollar equivalent of the Canadian amount for a gift card.

I’m not sure this will work for you though. I joined Amazon.com about 20 years ago before there was a Canadian site plus I was a subscriber to audible.com for many years. So that may be the reason I can sign in to both Amazon sites.

For miscellaneous household items, I suggest your friend look at thrift stores or garage sales. She may be able to find real bargains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada