Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2022, 11:25 PM

204 posts, read 127,338 times

Advertisements

I didn't notice any threads about Halifax (apparently there's one about Halifax in Massachusetts, but I'm interested in Halifax, Nova Scotia).

Can we talk about it?

My mother was born in Nova Scotia, and I've always wanted to visit there, but by this time in my life it doesn't look as if that will ever happen. I saw a general Canadian thread about conversation, but I haven't seen anything about Nova Scotia in particular, and since the other threads in the list I saw are all about cities, I thought I would start with Halifax.

I've seen pictures, and it looks like a beautiful city.

I thought about applying to Dalhousie once, when I was young and starting graduate school, but again, that didn't happen.

So, would anyone who knows them like to talk about Halifax and/or Nova Scotia in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 12:21 AM

1,502 posts, read 833,278 times
It's the most prominent eastern port. If you like historic sites (Citadel), museums (Maritimes or Immigration) and cuisine (Donairs and seafood), then this is the place for you. If you drink, Tidal Bay wine is highly recommended.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:07 AM

3,597 posts, read 3,336,824 times
I've been to Halifax, and by extension, Nova Scotia, a number of times.

It's a nice city, and one I always look forward to returning to. There is plenty of history, but there is also plenty of Nova Scotia/Maritime culture: great seafood, lively music, and friendly people. Maybe twenty years ago, you were assured of a Celtic jam on Tuesday nights at the Auld Triangle pub on (I think) Barrington Street. Not sure if it's still on Tuesdays, but you can check. Whatever night of the week, it's lots of fun to listen to.

There are the parks (Halifax Public Garden is nice for a walk), and the cemeteries, where Titanic dead are buried. The Maritime Museum is worth a visit, to understand how closely Halifax is tied to the sea. And HMCS Sackville, a WWII warship, now a floating museum. Interesting to see what WWII Canadian sailors endured in the Battle of the Atlantic.

Get out of town and discover Lunenberg and Peggy's Cove, both fishing villages, that again, reinforce Nova Scotia's relationship with the sea. Or, though a slightly longer trip, head north into Cape Breton Island. Drive the Cabot Trail, and visit Sydney--where the primary industry was not fishing, but coal and steel. The mines and plants are shut down now, but there are museums and interpretive centres, and I believe that you can take a tour of a coal mine.

Plenty of opportunities for golf too, if that's your thing. I want to get back to play golf in Nova Scotia again--the courses are challenging, and the scenery is beautiful.

There's a lot to see and do in Halifax and Nova Scotia. Both are worth a visit.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:28 PM

3,961 posts, read 5,706,122 times
I have never been to Halifax before but the city has strong ties with Boston and New England. Boston was the first city to send help to Halifax during that awful explosion back in 1917 which blew the Halifax Downtown to smithereens and killed thousands of people. Prior to the pandemic, a lot of Haligonians along with other Nova Scotians would come down to Boston to attend trade shows, particularly the annual Seafood Show held at our big convention center. A sizeable number of Bay Staters actually do have ancestral ties to Halifax or at least Nova Scotia in general including both a current coworker and a former coworker. That probably explains why Nova Scotia and by extension Halifax remain very popular tourist destinations for New Englanders, that and because it is not too far away from here.

Funny story related to Chevy's comment about golfing in Nova Scotia. At a work related event in a small town a few months ago, I was listening in on a conversation between two gentlemen who had never met before, both of whom discovered each other had ties to Nova Scotia, their families even having resided in neighboring communities! The conversation drifted into golf courses and then one of the gentlemen turned to me and asked "Golfing? Do you like golfing? Nova Scotia has great golfing if you're into it." I was tempted to reply that I was not into golfing but am a subway train fanatic and would ride Toronto's subway all day instead of golfing. They'd probably dismiss me as the Urban Peasant that I am . But yeah, Nova Scotia sounds to be a place full of greenery and can serve as an escape from large scale urbanism if that's what you like.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:57 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
Halifax is at the top of my bucket list. I wrote a book that is based there. Kinda chose Halifax by accident. So I did a great deal of research about Halfax, explored the city and surrounding area extensively using google maps street view. Sent my cousins all over the place looking at things for me when they were there on vacation. I learned about Halifax history, restaurants and bars, Criminals,law enforcement, Donairs, Churches, Hositals, Hotels, Dartmouth, Spryville, Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg, storage facilities, bike paths riding stables, shooting clubs (there are a lot of them), buildings, parks, a cool safe deposit service,campgrounds, news events, . . . everything I could. I learned about many things and then decided not to use them. I may know a lot of things about Halifax that people who live there don't. (Who are the real Trailer Park Boys?).

Now I want to go see it and see how I did describing the city. I also came to really love the City, so now I have to visit it and visit all the cool places that I found (it they are still there, they keep tearing things down). .

Every no and again I look on here for anything about Halifax,but rarely find it mentioned.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:32 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,505,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
... Spryville ....
Spryfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada