Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 07:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times

Advertisements

I thought i'd create this thread in response to some back and forth discussions in another thread.

It seems that Canadians in the forum here are concerned about aspects of the LGBTQ plus community, so feel free to voice those concerns. They can be anything. It seems as though recent activism is cited along with raunchy displays at Pride Parade's etc

What makes you uncomfortable and why? What do you support and why. Personal experiences are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 06:54 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,564,146 times
i don't have any issues with the community, i certainly don't consider the parades raunchy in any shape or form, my personal experiences are nothing short of supportive and positive, that's just me and i don't expect that everyone agrees with me

Old 07-26-2022, 07:42 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i don't have any issues with the community, i certainly don't consider the parades raunchy in any shape or form, my personal experiences are nothing short of supportive and positive, that's just me and i don't expect that everyone agrees with me
For the record, I don't really care about the parades, but from what I gather they can be fairly raunchy for something that's on a public street in the middle of a city. As some have stated they probably always have been - though maybe the raunch has been amped up a bit? I dunno.

In any event, if there is a problem with kids being exposed to public nudity at these parades then my issue there is more with parental judgement than anything else.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:08 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,564,146 times
not sure what the definition of raunchy is, if its about public nudity, i grew up in Europe and certainly recognize that North America is relatively in the dark ages when it comes to that, at the end of the day nobody has to go to the parades and, if what you see televised on the news is too much complain to the relevant authorities about the broadcast

my attitude to pride is live and let live, love and let love - I will add (and this may be off topic, but i feel it needs to be said) that having drag queens read stories to kids in libraries is not an attempt to convert them to alternative lifestyles, its about teaching acceptance and tolerance

Old 07-26-2022, 11:47 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
This bothers me more than anything https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...5.2017.1350804

Along with that, what bothers me is in a time when cultural appropriation makes the news quite often makes the news, women are fair game, and our culture and our history is to be diluted by trans people. J.k Rawlings us a good example of a fine writer being canceled.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/a...opriation.html

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j...gender-issues/

Old 07-26-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
not sure what the definition of raunchy is, if its about public nudity, i grew up in Europe and certainly recognize that North America is relatively in the dark ages when it comes to that, at the end of the day nobody has to go to the parades and, if what you see televised on the news is too much complain to the relevant authorities about the broadcast

my attitude to pride is live and let live, love and let love - I will add (and this may be off topic, but i feel it needs to be said) that having drag queens read stories to kids in libraries is not an attempt to convert them to alternative lifestyles, its about teaching acceptance and tolerance

Old 07-26-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
This bothers me more than anything https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...5.2017.1350804

Along with that, what bothers me is in a time when cultural appropriation makes the news quite often makes the news, women are fair game, and our culture and our history is to be diluted by trans people. J.k Rawlings us a good example of a fine writer being canceled.

I'm not sure if most members of the communities want anyone to be 'cancelled' - it could be more media, social media activists and politicians doing more cancelling. I think there is diversity in any community and you're not going to find carbon copy views even in the trans community. They are not monolithic activists one and all.

Cancel culture itself goes way beyond members of the LGBTQ plus communities tbh. I get what you're saying, but painting trans people with the same brush with this is in itself unfair and unjust. I know one trans person very well and I can assure you, she is not part of cancel culture activism in the least.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0205084203.htm

Quote:
Some of the first biological evidence of the incongruence transgender individuals experience, because their brain indicates they are one sex and their body another, may have been found in estrogen receptor pathways in the brain of 30 transgender individuals.

"Twenty-one variants in 19 genes have been found in estrogen signaling pathways of the brain critical to establishing whether the brain is masculine or feminine," says Dr. J. Graham Theisen, obstetrician/gynecologist and National Institutes of Health Women's Reproductive Health Research Scholar at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University.

Basically -- and perhaps counterintuitively -- these genes are primarily involved in estrogen's critical sprinkling of the brain right before or after birth, which is essential to masculinization of the brain.
There was a time, and still in some circles those who felt/feel that gays and lesbians made a sort of choice, or that we were easily influenced into a 'lifestyle'

Last edited by fusion2; 07-26-2022 at 06:23 PM..

Old 07-27-2022, 07:07 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

There was a time, and still in some circles those who felt/feel that gays and lesbians made a sort of choice, or that we were easily influenced into a 'lifestyle'
I feel like choice or no choice can be a bit of a distraction. Bisexuals don't get a choice as to whether they are bisexual, and even if they only ever pursue the opposite gender, they often need to come to terms with internalized hemophobia and the effects of growing up not quite fitting right in a heteronormative world. That said, they do get to make choices about who to be with, and can choose to nurture parts of their sexuality or neglect them.

Saying that being gay is okay because gay people had no choice implies that if they did have a choice choosing someone of the same gender would be bad, or at least worse, then choosing someone of the opposite. Ultimately, there's no reason that would be true, just as there's no reason a heterosexual choosing a partner who can't have kids over one that can is worse. Love is always a choice, and its always the right one.

I don't really have much in the way of concerns about the community in Canada. That you get some extreme individuals in the Pride Societies that seem like the most prominent LGBTQ+ institutions in the country feels par for the course, you get the same situations in everything from student unions to political parties, feels like human nature. Gender is pretty weird, hard to navigate for many people. I admit to some trepidation about whether minors who are still figuring themselves out are mature enough to make decisions about permanent transition surgery. I am torn between an instinct against medical paternalism, and certainly against government mandated medical paternalism, and feeling like we ethically draw a line somewhere, similar to how teens can consent to major medical decisions at certain ages in some cases but there are more rigorous standards for other types of decisions, such as choosing to die etc. The fight for transgender rights has needed to be so fierce, that I worry admitting to some nuance has become impossible by sad necessity, such as that not everyone talking about transitioning really should, which is why some people do end up transitioning back. I worry about that in the context of teenagers.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:17 AM

463 posts, read 285,232 times
They don't bother me in general, they can do as they like. The fact that they seem to want to flaunt it and push it onto everyone else is a bit disturbing, but that seems to be the way everyone sends their message these days.
The part that really bothers me is who pays for the parades. It is heavily funded by the governments, whereas other parades such as the Santa Clause parade etc are expected to get their own corporate funding. Have your parade, but pay for it yourself. Now, someone is going to say it's an investment as it brings money into the city.....Well, so do these other non tax payer funded parades....Just sayin"

Old 07-27-2022, 08:12 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

All of the women around me from ages 17 to 85 are basically saying the same thing.

My views on these issues are largely informed by what they tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada