Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 09:18 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times

Advertisements

I just read this news and when you see the list of all her family members that are suddenly dropping everything and all have rushed there or are en route to Balmoral to be on attendance to the Queen you'll understands why it sounds like some serious medical emergency has happened and she may be dying now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62836057

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/queen-...sion-1.6575695

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-08-2022 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 09:36 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Yes, I am getting the news alerts, and it looks as if the family is gathering.

Aw, I will feel sad, even as an American. (Then again, my very English last name is from the ancestors who moved to New Jersey from Manchester in 1863.)

I hope that if this is it for her, her parting is easy and peaceful.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:04 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Woke up and it was the first thing I read.

Whether you're monarchist or not, she was a prominent figure in most Canadians lives for over 70 years, and you have to give her respect for doing a job that she was stuck in. I remember reading one of her close friends said, that the Queen would have rather led a horsey country life.

Not a good sign that the family has gathered, but as we all know, people can rally on their " death " beds, and surprise everyone and be around a little bit longer. However, 96 is a ripe old age.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:09 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Well; if indeed the Queen succumbs to the inevitable, this will be the end of a long tenure and the beginning of another with a question mark attached.

All of the turmoil the Royals have been either 'subject to' or 'the cause of' the last few decades will now have renewed interest akin to watching a movie clip of a huge chain reaction, highway accident.

For my part; I'll just remember her time as head of the realm being one of grace and class intermixed with the very infrequent stumble.

What comes after, I can only guess as to it's appearance and relevancy.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:01 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Woke up and it was the first thing I read.

Whether you're monarchist or not, she was a prominent figure in most Canadians lives for over 70 years, and you have to give her respect for doing a job that she was stuck in. I remember reading one of her close friends said, that the Queen would have rather led a horsey country life.

Not a good sign that the family has gathered, but as we all know, people can rally on their " death " beds, and surprise everyone and be around a little bit longer. However, 96 is a ripe old age.
This is true. My friend's mother was dying of cancer, and she had been sleeping for some time and started to breathe very heavily. My friend and her daughters gathered round her bed and said, "It's OK to go now, we love you" with tears in their eyes. Then Josephine opened her eyes, said, "I have to go to the bathroom", swung her legs over the side of the bed, grabbed her walker, and off she went." She lasted a few more weeks.

96 is a good age for the Queen, and she has managed to remain bright and coherent even as the years passed. I admired her, partly for her sense of humor. I suspect she never quite took herself as seriously as others may have, but she knew she had to play the role she was born to.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:34 AM

3,454 posts, read 2,779,135 times
She’s gone.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Code LONDON BRIDGE IS DOWN has just been announced - THE QUEEN HAS DIED.

Rest in peace, wonderful lady.

Long live the King.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:39 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,564,146 times
I feel like my own mother has passed. It’s so so sad

Old 09-08-2022, 11:45 AM

1,133 posts, read 610,985 times
Truly sad. Whether you like the Monarchy or not, she was a class act.
May she rest in peace. Be with God and the angels.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is true. My friend's mother was dying of cancer, and she had been sleeping for some time and started to breathe very heavily. My friend and her daughters gathered round her bed and said, "It's OK to go now, we love you" with tears in their eyes. Then Josephine opened her eyes, said, "I have to go to the bathroom", swung her legs over the side of the bed, grabbed her walker, and off she went." She lasted a few more weeks.

96 is a good age for the Queen, and she has managed to remain bright and coherent even as the years passed. I admired her, partly for her sense of humor. I suspect she never quite took herself as seriously as others may have, but she knew she had to play the role she was born to.
She didn't rally. Still 96!

Saw her up close twice in my life, both in Vancouver. Once when she was 40 years old and in full on sparkle, and once in 1987 at a walkabout in Vancouver where she stopped to chat to the women next to me.

IMO though, the monarchy will not be the same. It may go on and function as it does now as part of our parliamentary system, but there is no shining star anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada