Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 07:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Fair enough Chevy - and probably I just noticed them more because I wasn't from there. Drivers everywhere though should just chill out. It isn't worth the extra few minutes you save out of your life, driving like a maniac which means your trip entails far more risk than it should.

Toronto has quite a few rivers and ravines and is ofc right on a large and deep lake so we could do worse nature wise. But yeah - there's just something about mountains!
I do love the ravines parks in Toronto. I used to run through some with a friend back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 08:04 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Chuckling at these latest as being so far removed from Kenney's target audience so as to be the opposite of whom he's enticing.

Have been at one time or another to most of Canada's major cities and quite a few minor ones.

Once competed in "scrambles" events (motocross for yungun's) on what was then known as Calgary's North Hill where the course was laid out among tall natural grasses with spectacular views of the city proper. On many years later visits found the area covered in housing subdivisions.

I too jogged in Rosedale ravines in T/O when all you needed to concern yourself with was the errant racoon or skunk during later evening hours.

B.C., or more exactly, Esquimalt was my home for the few years of RCN membership. Back then Victoria was known as the Las Angeles (LaLaLand) of the north with everything financed on Chargex Cards, even the ubiquitous yellow Bombardier snow machines, when first introduced, found their way onto some front lawns out in Sooke in an area that was lucky to get 2" of snow the entire winter.

Halifax, for the few times I attended courses on the east coast, still gave reminiscent vibes of it's earlier visible racism. We were at the time cautioned against venturing alone into the section of the city then still referred to as "Africville". We were admonished by our CPO's, that if stupid enough to go out there in our uniforms to make sure our silks and lanyards were split behind the neck under our collars, lest they be used to choke us from behind while an accomplice went through our pockets. We were even shown how to accomplish this by using just enough light thread to stitch them together so they parted easily if grabbed from behind - those were the day's, aye!

All areas of the country have attractive aspects along with also having those unattractive features.

Gotta say however, that Kenney and his "higher wages and lower taxes" pitch seems just another small spike driven into the long list of those items threatening our already very fragile unification foundations of Canada.

Surely, if people are, or would be considering, moving to another province they'd firstly perform their own due diligence research?

Old 08-23-2022, 01:03 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I do love the ravines parks in Toronto. I used to run through some with a friend back in the day.
I loved how Toronto has "park chains," where Alexander Muir Park becomes Blythwood Ravine, which becomes Sherwood Park, which becomes Sunnybrook Park, which becomes Serena Gundy Park, which becomes Ernest Thompson Seton Park; and before you know it, you've gone from Yonge and Lawrence to Victoria Park and the Danforth. In nothing but parks. I used to ride my bike through all of them.

I now live in Lethbridge, Alberta, and we have park chains too. One just behind my house, where I sometimes ride my bike or go for a walk, and I can do so for a mile or more in either direction. But we also have "the coulees," as we call them, which is a deep river valley separating our city. Makes the Don Valley in Toronto look like nothing, as it's over a mile wide and 300 feet deep. But with nice hiking and biking trails.

Nat, if you want to have a pleasant run, may I suggest Lethbridge sometime? Hey, I'll be happy to buy the first round after your run.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I loved how Toronto has "park chains," where Alexander Muir Park becomes Blythwood Ravine, which becomes Sherwood Park, which becomes Sunnybrook Park, which becomes Serena Gundy Park, which becomes Ernest Thompson Seton Park; and before you know it, you've gone from Yonge and Lawrence to Victoria Park and the Danforth. In nothing but parks. I used to ride my bike through all of them.

I now live in Lethbridge, Alberta, and we have park chains too. One just behind my house, where I sometimes ride my bike or go for a walk, and I can do so for a mile or more in either direction. But we also have "the coulees," as we call them, which is a deep river valley separating our city. Makes the Don Valley in Toronto look like nothing, as it's over a mile wide and 300 feet deep. But with nice hiking and biking trails.

Nat, if you want to have a pleasant run, may I suggest Lethbridge sometime? Hey, I'll be happy to buy the first round after your run.
I'm afraid it might have to be a hike! I haven't run in a few years, although I think about it a lot

Old 08-23-2022, 12:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
I'm afraid it might have to be a hike! I haven't run in a few years, although I think about it a lot
Arthritis?

Old 08-24-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Arthritis?

I actually do have a bit in one hand, but my legs are in great shape.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:

I actually do have a bit in one hand, but my legs are in great shape.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Oh boy! Here we go again? A fresh one this time. LOL

Old 08-28-2022, 11:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5151 View Post
Just curious because I live in Alberta some people want Alberta to separate from Canada and become it's now Country and then join the United States.

If Alberta were to become it's own country how many years around would it take for Alberta to join the joined the United States?
For one thing, it's a lot easier said than done, but Alberta can't easily become it's own country, it would be next to impossible (read link below).

Secondly nearly 70% of the land and natural resources of Alberta does not belong to Albertans. It belongs to the Crown and Canada and Canada isn't going to be stupid enough to just give it all away to Albertans because they ask for it so that the Albertans can then turn around and give up their independence, their autonomy and their land and give it all away to a foreign country. If people think that could happen they need a reality check and a better education.

Thirdly USA isn't interested in taking over and governing the 4.3 million Canadians who presently live in Alberta. If USA was interested in Alberta it would only be because it wanted to acquire the land and the natural resources alone, it couldn't care less about the people who would just be a hindrance and a nuisance to the USA government. And consider this, if USA is wanting to start a war with Canada (which it would have to do if it wants to take away Canada's natural resources) USA won't wait for people in Canadian provinces to secede from Canada so they can just hand themselves and their possessions over to USA. USA would just declare war and try to take over all of Canada. Wouldn't be the first time they've tried it but they'd have to be awfully desperate to try it now and abandon their peaceful alliances with Canada and other allied countries.

You should read this following Act and pretend that it is Alberta instead of Quebec that they're talking about so you can gain a better understanding of what would be entailed and how difficult and complicated it would be for ANY province in Canada to secede from Canada. Quoting from below link "There is no right under the Constitution of Canada to effect the secession of a province from Canada unilaterally and an amendment to the Constitution of Canada would be required for any province to secede from Canada, which in turn would require negotiations involving at least the governments of all of the provinces and the Government of Canada." And consider this, that it would take decades and decades and decades for any kind of agreement to be made by which time the people who had been asking to secede would all be old or dead and gone. There are good reasons why Quebec has not been able to secede yet and the same reasons could be applied to any province in Canada.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...involving%20at

Any people in Alberta who talk about seceding from Canada so they can join up with USA and be under USA's control are just plain damn ignorant and foolish people who haven't got a clue. If they want to join USA so badly and have USA be their overlord they should leave Canada and immigrate to USA.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-28-2022 at 11:08 AM..

Old 08-28-2022, 11:02 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh boy! Here we go again? A fresh one this time. LOL
Yup. I think it must be just another school kid who hasn't entered secondary school yet. I hope I didn't use too many big words for him that he can't understand.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada