U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 06:20 PM

205 posts, read 98,001 times

Advertisements

I live in Saskatchewan but what's happening in Alberta politics interests me a lot because the Alberta and Saskatchewan governments (and occasionally Manitoba's) tend to go lockstep with each other when it comes to a lot of issues. Right now there is an incredible amount of animosity from a lot of people in the prairie provinces against the Trudeau Liberal federal government. And I'm been very excited listening to the things the apparent frontrunner, Danielle Smith is saying. Jason Kenney got the boot for a combination of talking a good game against the feds but without action and deeply unpopular pandemic policies in rural Alberta. Danielle Smith will forever be remembered for the famous floorcrossing incident but I think she's changing a lot of peoples' minds about her by making some huge promises regarding some major pushback against the federal government. It's causing the Sask Party government over in my province to start making similar announcements because they know if they get caught behind the tide that a party like Buffalo Party of Saskatchewan will come up behind and replace him. Tons of talk on provincial autonomy.

Danielle's biggest announcement is her plan to pass the Alberta Sovereignty Act in her first week in office. It's basically a plan to take back provincial jurisdiction in a lot of areas and refuse federal legislation which harms the society and economy of Alberta. Her opponents say the courts will strike it down and maybe they will but if that happens, it will build a lot of support for the Western separatism movement in the prairie provinces. The West has been talking separation for many years and the longer the Trudeau Liberals stick around, the more support builds for it here. And if Poilievre loses the federal Conservative leadership race, the hope for things to get better will die for many Westerners who believed he could "save" us. If Charest wins, I think you'll see the CPC lose much of its Western base. Things will get very interesting. Between the UCP provincial leadership race, the CPC federal leadership race, the rise of other parties to the right provincially in all 3 prairie provinces (Keystone Party of Manitoba, Wildrose Independence Party of Alberta and Buffalo Party of Saskatchewan) and the rise of other parties to the right federally, PPC and Maverick Party, there's a major storm brewing in this country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 09:34 PM

903 posts, read 404,543 times
Is the Saskatchewan Party an offspring of the Conservative party?

Old 08-06-2022, 08:03 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,755,883 times
British Columbia will be a very lonely Canadian province if the Prairie Provinces secede. That's all I can say.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:21 AM

6,287 posts, read 4,147,699 times
Saskatchewan and Alberta’s claim to their natural resources only dates back to 1905. Prior to that, the two geographic areas were part of the Canadian Northwest Territories. I wonder if that would come into play.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:44 PM

13,126 posts, read 11,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
British Columbia will be a very lonely Canadian province if the Prairie
Provinces secede. That's all I can say.
I don't think any separation like that will ever happen and hope it never will, but if it did BC wouldn't be lonely. There would still be a total of 10 provinces and territories of Canada. Look at the map at the link and what BC is connected to in the north above it. The territories, people and their respective governments and resources are Canada too, they count for something and shouldn't be discounted just because they're in the far north:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provin..._of_Canada.svg

If the 3 prairie provinces separate it might work for them, or it might not and they might have to ask if they can rejoin Canada if they want to avoid being annexed by the south. Canada would take them back at a lesser price than what the price of annexation would cost them. There have been more than enough people in USA who really, really want to see the separation happen and have expressed the opinion that the separated western provinces should be immediately annexed by USA for all their resources, so it's a risk the prairies may have to consider. On the other hand, maybe they'll end up having to ask the USA to annex them and take them over. But I don't think that would make much sense at all and would be to their detriment.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:17 PM

13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times
There will always be chatter due to regional differences and some sects wanting to separate. It goes too far though when people are putting a 'hate' list up, that includes mostly public health officials. That type of rhetoric is not something Canadians in general are known for, so it is troubling to see and we should really put things into perspective and not forget the the Civil and civilized.

Justin Trudeau has not proven to be a unifying Prime Minister unfortunately, but he isn't going to be around forever so I think we should keep that in mind. My biggest issue with Trudeau during covid was not even so much the policies enacted (he had to do something), it was the incompetence of execution that was most concerning. This really is becoming a common theme with him and his government, incompetence of execution, not as much policies and ideas (which I support some and not others). He is also frustratingly stubborn, which is not a good leadership quality.

In any event, this constant focus on what separates us vs what unites us is becoming a downer.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
It was formed in the early 2000s as a merger between several members of the Sask Liberals and PC Party. It is a party with more conservative policies.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
British Columbia will be a very lonely Canadian province if the Prairie Provinces secede. That's all I can say.
The people in the majority of B.C.'s geography think similarly on many issues as the prairies but that Southwest corner of the Greater Vancouver Area and Vancouver Island are very very different and they control the province because they have 3/4 of the province's population.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think any separation like that will ever happen and hope it never will, but if it did BC wouldn't be lonely. There would still be a total of 10 provinces and territories of Canada. Look at the map at the link and what BC is connected to in the north above it. The territories, people and their respective governments and resources are Canada too, they count for something and shouldn't be discounted just because they're in the far north:

If the 3 prairie provinces separate it might work for them, or it might not and they might have to ask if they can rejoin Canada if they want to avoid being annexed by the south. Canada would take them back at a lesser price than what the price of annexation would cost them. There have been more than enough people in USA who really, really want to see the separation happen and have expressed the opinion that the separated western provinces should be immediately annexed by USA for all their resources, so it's a risk the prairies may have to consider. On the other hand, maybe they'll end up having to ask the USA to annex them and take them over. But I don't think that would make much sense at all and would be to their detriment.

I think a lot of Canadians fail to understand just how much of Canada's budget comes from money paid by Alberta and Saskatchewan in the form of equalization payments. Without the money which comes from the prairie provinces, the rest of Canada might be in financial trouble.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:29 PM

6,016 posts, read 10,816,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

This thinking is all crazy. If Quebec couldn't get it together enough to leave Canada how would these prairie provinces do it? All these essentially political people trying to rile some people up over small details. They really are going to leave because they don't like climate policies? Mask or vaccination policies? These are like 1% of what it takes to build and keep a nation together. Easy for a politician who isn't winning to say that's it you went too far, we should leave to gain notoriety. Once their constituents look at what that really means they want nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada