Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:17 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

...do you frequently encounter people who are high?
Can you smoke joints but not cigarettes in certain places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 08:22 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
...do you frequently encounter people who are high?
Can you smoke joints but not cigarettes in certain places?
No big difference after legalization, everything is as usual.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 AM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No big difference after legalization, everything is as usual.
I recall lots of major streets in Montreal (Sainte-Catherine, Ontario, St-Laurent, etc) reeking of weed years ago. I can't imagine it being any worse, legal or not.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:29 AM

193 posts, read 217,051 times
Not much difference here in Montreal.
People who use cannabis now were doing it before anyway regardless of legality.

People who never smoked are not going to all of a sudden pick up papes and roll a joint. No.
I don't see a dramatic increase in the use of cannabis just because it's now legal.

Still business as usual. You smell it everywhere, etc.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:21 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
The only thing that has changed is some stores had to close under the new business license rules here in BC. Some say the licensing is taking too long, but there seem to be enough stores open and no rush on goods. I also noticed a couple of re-zoning signs on some storefronts notifying that a cannabis shop wants to open there.

Most of the shops have been there as medical marianna shops for years, so it's not unusual to us at all.

Nothing on the street has really changed. Vancouver has always been pretty laid back, and people were not shy about smoking it in public. Some may feel more comfortable now.

You can't smoke it everywhere. It falls under our city by-laws disallowing vaping and smoking in parks, on beaches or a certain distance of business doorways. That said, someone sitting in a corner of a park away from everyone else on a not so nice day, and having a smoke, is usually left alone.

The people I know who use it, haven't suddenly changed, and the people that don't or rarely use it, haven't either.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I am definitely not seeing more people openly smoking pot in public, nor smelling it any more than what was always usual for this province.

The only difference I've been hearing about is that the local black market growers who had already been producing and selling it illegally for decades have now started bargain selling in competition. That is, they're reducing their prices to be lower than the prices of the legal stuff, so for example, a specific quantity of something that might sell legally for $150 is being sold illegally by black marketeers for $100. That comes as no surprise though and I think it should be expected that the same thing will happen across the country.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:26 AM

219 posts, read 161,237 times
No noticeable changes to people's habits in my neck of the woods.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
When I lived in Montreal, "legal" or "illegal" didn't make a difference. I'd smell weed/hash/whatever all the time.

Now that it's legal and I'm living in Ottawa, when I smell it here, I think "ahhhh, it smells like home!"

PS. I don't partake but I like the smell.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:29 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
I smell it more often, and in places where I wouldn't have expected.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
When I lived in Montreal, "legal" or "illegal" didn't make a difference. I'd smell weed/hash/whatever all the time.

Now that it's legal and I'm living in Ottawa, when I smell it here, I think "ahhhh, it smells like home!"

PS. I don't partake but I like the smell.
There are different marijuana smells. Some is very skunky, some sweet. I really don' like the smell of either

Maybe I've become too sensitive, even with tobacco smoke. I can smell someone smoking half a block away.

I have never bought cannabis, but I have tried it. Once in a cookie. Hated it. Felt way too dizzy. The other times I did try and smoke some that was offered, but I just cough up a lung. Now I just say " no thank-you, but I will have another glass of wine LOL

I don't allow smoking of any kind in my home, and people respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada