Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times

Advertisements

I am having an argument with my wife who is from Canada. She is peeved about having to work today and says that, in Canada, the law requires that all Canadians that work on a holiday MUST be paid time and a half. Is this true or not true? I know some businesses here in the USA CHOOSE to pay it to employees that work on holidays but it is not REQUIRED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:30 PM

40 posts, read 209,351 times
true....i get paid time and half and a day off later if I had to work the holiday.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,673 times
You're about to lose your arguement, Kev.

Ontario has 9 statutory holidays:

New Year's Day
Family Day
Good Friday
Victoria Day
Canada Day
Labour Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day
Boxing Day (December 26)

Except for workers in selected industries like hospitals, tourist sector businesses,etc., qualified workers are entitled to those days off with full pay.

If an employee agrees to work a stat holiday, they are to be paid their regular days wages and an additional sum equal to at least 1.5 times their regular wages.

In other words, if you worked in a non-exempt industry @ $10/hour and agreed to work a stat holiday, you are entitled to be paid a rate of $30/hour for the stat holiday.

Alternately, employees who agree to work a stat holiday can opt to recieve their regular rate of pay for the stat holiday and then receive a substitute day off for which they will also be paid their regular rate of pay.

Other provinces may have different rules.

For the full story, see Employment Standards Fact Sheet - Public Holidays | Ontario Ministry of Labour (http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/factsheets/fs_public.html - broken link)

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM

207 posts, read 749,104 times
YES! 1.5 times or "Bank day" off with paid
I prefer "bank day" because, the 1.5 times is not much different interm of after tax dollar.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,479 times
Default Stat Holiday

how many hours do I have to work, to qulify for stat holiday pay, if I do qualified what % pay rate should I received

Old 07-15-2008, 08:34 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,308,356 times
Usually it is if you've worked for 20 work days prior to the stat, then you are eligible. But if you started on June 30 and wanted to get stat pay for Canada Day, you're SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada