Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 06:23 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times

Advertisements

It looks minor league like.
Or is this the way it is because only the GTA has the Corporate Support and TV Market to support the other leagues because they are too expensive for any other City?
Besides the passion for hockey and I guess you could say soccer because that is the most participatory Sport and Canada those salaries are a lot less than baseball NFL football and NBA basketball, that’s why those work in say Montreal Vancouver and Calgary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 07:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
It looks minor league like.
Or is this the way it is because only the GTA has the Corporate Support and TV Market to support the other leagues because they are too expensive for any other City?
Besides the passion for hockey and I guess you could say soccer because that is the most participatory Sport and Canada those salaries are a lot less than baseball NFL football and NBA basketball, that’s why those work in say Montreal Vancouver and Calgary
You guys have three MLS teams too.

But is CFL not entertaining enough for you guys?

Old 10-23-2022, 08:16 PM

1 is an inferior product to the NFL by almost far
The other is not even a top 15 league on a Worldwide Scale

Old 10-23-2022, 10:52 PM

1,543 posts, read 869,513 times
Expos and Grizzlies used to be in Montreal and Vancouver.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
1 is an inferior product to the NFL by almost far
The other is not even a top 15 league on a Worldwide Scale
Every owner in the MLS including the Canadian teams is a tech giant, I-Banker, or titan of industry. I wrote this in another thread but there is no reason MLS cannot buy better quality players. At least they should steal everyone from Mex, Braz, Arg, and Uru that did not get swept up by Europe.

Its not necessarily about being better level of athlete than another. Look at college basketball and football. Both are inferior to the pros but the games are exciting just as much. It is about matchups, and parity.

This is even true for ammy adult leagues. These beer leaguers are just as entertaining. One of the most entertaining hockey games I have ever watched is by two college club teams, SUNY Maritime vs NJIT.

The main issue people have with lower levels is the difficulty in finding equal parity games. At the top league, you are pretty much guaranteed parity for the most part.

Old 10-24-2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Expos and Grizzlies used to be in Montreal and Vancouver.
And especially the Grizzles (they never had issues drawing at least average crowds, The Expos often did) should have never moved

Old 10-24-2022, 02:05 PM

219 posts, read 161,137 times
If attendance wasn’t an issue for the Grizzlies then it was probably TV revenue. I could only go to live games if my employee or my sister’s employer gave us their tickets. I stopped watching them on TV because I got tired of the announcers talking to me like I didn’t know how basketball was played.

Plus I think they blacked out local games if they weren’t sold out so that would drop a big chunk of potential audience.

Also most fans look for other places to spend their money if a team spends too much time being non-competitor. That’s why we got the Cougars from Victoria and why we will probably lose them if the owners get a good offer.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
""There was a lot that was stacked up against the Grizzlies from the get-go," Jayme said.

For the Grizzlies' first three years, the NBA restricted the team from the first five overall draft picks, and its salary cap was limited for the first two.

Jayme said the inaugural team was made entirely out of expansion players — basically, players other teams didn't want.

That was one apparent reason for their poor record in the league. After two wins in their first two games, the Grizzlies went on a 19-game losing streak, and went even worse in the second half of the season with a run of 23 straight defeats.

Over their six years in Vancouver, the Grizzlies won 101 games — and lost 359.

But Jayme said things were starting to turn around for the team."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lies-1.6590819

Old 10-24-2022, 07:05 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
I hope Canadians are smart enough to disbelieve the blarney that their tax dollars will go to good use in building sports arenas for teams owned by plutocrats.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:50 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
I enjoy sports that are not at top tier professional league.
As NJ said it is about the matchups.
I will add that it is also about the vibe, better seating and overall costs.

We use to enjoy the Shamrocks when they played on Vancouver Island many years ago.
We also had season tickets to the San Jose Stealth pro La Crosse team years ago.
I miss the minor league teams that left our areas more so than the top tier teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada