Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 12:16 PM

441 posts, read 269,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i say what, thats fighting talk pardner
It's OK, I'm allowed.....I was born there......lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 12:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,487,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
It's OK, I'm allowed.....I was born there......lol
me too - still get defensive after decades away

Old 03-23-2023, 11:56 AM
pdw

2,589 posts, read 3,016,778 times
I’ve heard “Ree-jye-nuh” from locals, I think that’s the most common but I could be wrong.
On the news article, making jokes about the name is a funny and smart move by the tourism board or whoever made the slogans. The backlash is coming from pure Karens who are the classic “fun police” we see across Canada. There’s nothing sexist about poking fun at the city’s name which rhymes with a body part. I’m getting sick and tired of the miserable old people who want to sanitize and suck the soul out of this country.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:04 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,344,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’ve heard “Ree-jye-nuh” from locals, I think that’s the most common but I could be wrong.
On the news article, making jokes about the name is a funny and smart move by the tourism board or whoever made the slogans. The backlash is coming from pure Karens who are the classic “fun police” we see across Canada. There’s nothing sexist about poking fun at the city’s name which rhymes with a body part. I’m getting sick and tired of the miserable old people who want to sanitize and suck the soul out of this country.
Are you sure they are old and miserable?

In my experience, older people are more likely to laugh something like this off. Less sensitive in many ways.

What group over 40 years ago, do you think made up a lot of jokes about Regina, if not before

Old 03-23-2023, 12:09 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Are you sure they are old and miserable?

In my experience, older people are more likely to laugh something like this off. Less sensitive in many ways.

What group over 40 years ago, do you think made up a lot of jokes about Regina, if not before
You might be right, but I don’t think modern feminist types would have a problem with any of this. Songs like “Wet As P sy” are #1 radio hits and it’s more the older boomers complaining. This article just reminded me of a certain type of person we’re all familiar with.
Here in Ontario it’s the retirees that seem to be in the “shut it down” camp. There used to be a bar strip near St Catharines called Port Dalhousie where young people would go to party until the houses got all bought up and people started filing noise complaints and got bylaw to shut all the bars down. Been dead for the past 15 years. Now the same type of people are doing the same thing in Wasaga Beach, buying condos on the beach in a party town and then complaining about young people and the noise they make.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:20 PM

87,982 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
“What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet.” So declares Juliet as she laments the name of her beloved in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

I personally find the traditional British pronunciation Rejeena is softer and easier to roll off the tongue than the current pronunciation but that's just me. I don't object to the current way it's pronounced even if it has a somewhat harder sound to it but I do object to the immature, misogynistic and undignified crude sexualization of it by the tourism ignoramuses who tried to turn it into a joke. I'm glad the citizens of Regina objected to the offensive slogans and that the tourism organization have apologized for their social gaffe.

If the pronunciation of Regina ever becomes an issue I think the people of the province of Saskatchewan and the city of Regina would have Saskatchewan's provincial government put it to the public's vote to determine if the pronunciation should be changed back to the old traditional European way. It's their province, their capital city, their place, their business and their image. I'd accept and go along with whatever the people there voted for.

I feel the same way. I learned how it was pronounced from hearing it on the news, and it seems, as you say, kind of immature and high-schoolish to keep that up and promote those stupid slogans.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:11 PM

14,634 posts, read 14,728,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post

........ I’m getting sick and tired of the miserable old people who want to sanitize and suck the soul out of this country.
The same could be said in an obverse way too though. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

I strongly suspect those miserable old folks you mentioned have probably gotten completely sick and tired of the crass behaviour of certain types of crude, rude and lewd young cretins who want to dirty up the face of Canada and try to make a laughing stock of it by stripping away pride and dignity from this country. They're probably wondering where those classless young barbarians learned that ignorant attitude from.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:51 PM

7,645 posts, read 5,414,058 times
Vulgarity shouldn’t be public policy.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:47 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The same could be said in an obverse way too though. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

I strongly suspect those miserable old folks you mentioned have probably gotten completely sick and tired of the crass behaviour of certain types of crude, rude and lewd young cretins who want to dirty up the face of Canada and try to make a laughing stock of it by stripping away pride and dignity from this country. They're probably wondering where those classless young barbarians learned that ignorant attitude from.

My comment wasn’t directed at the older generation as a whole, I wasn’t saying all older people are like this, I’m referring to a specific subculture of boomers this country seems to have. Puritanical attitudes towards everything. If this ad campaign was in Newfoundland, no one would be complaining about it, because it’s mainly a thing in mainland Canada from what I can tell, especially the prairies and Southern Ontario. What happened to live and let live is what I’m wondering

Old 03-23-2023, 08:20 PM

7,236 posts, read 9,209,354 times
I never thought about how Regina is pronounced. I'm also not offended at the slogan. Reading some of the reasoning behind why some people find it objectionable, I think there is a bit of a point. I also don't want women to be constantly sexualized. I'm not sure where the safe middle point is, as I also agree that people have lost all sense of perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada