Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 32,178 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is my first post here. I am going out of my mind trying to get information before I accept a job offer (I am also calling my local office in buffalo tomorrow). Here is my situation. I hope you can help me. I have read all the official web pages from the canadian govt. on immigration, but my questions are still not answered.

I am a US citizen. I am getting married in the next couple of weeks (also a US citizen) and receiving my PhD in August (if everything goes as planned).

I have a great job offer in Toronto for postdoctoral research (my potential employer says the paperwork for me is very easy due to my status as a "trainee"), and I really do not want to turn it down. I am worried about my husband's potential to work, though.

I have read it can be very difficult to obtain a work permit. Right now, he does not have any "special skills" he could use to apply for a work permit and positive LMO (he used to be a skilled laborer, but he doesn't do that anymore due to old injuries). Currently, he is working a non-skilled job (at a local restaurant), and will probably study as an online student (at an american university) while we are in Canada. However, he *must* work unless we want to live at a lower standard of living than we enjoy now (because, though I am getting a huge raise, I have to start paying back my student loans, which offsets the raise).

Ok, so my question is, once I am inside Canada with my work permit (and assuming we have appropriate visas, etc), I want to apply for permanent residence. I think we will be there for at least 3-5 years (the duration of the offer for post doctoral training), and we are considering staying after that point (hey, we like toronto), so would be a good idea for us anyways.

My questions are:

1) I am fairly certain, but just to make sure: my husband would be a dependent on my app for PR, so he doesn't have to apply for his own residence, right? I would probably be applying under the skilled worker program (as we score about a 90 on the test together).

2) Can I apply for PR under the skilled worker program from *inside* canada (while working on my temporary work visa)

3) Once I apply for PR, how long will it take me to get it? I think this is only feasible for us if I can get PR (and he can start working) within a year or so of us of moving there (as we have saved a little bit of cash to supplement our income). Any longer than that, and we can't really afford it (unless we want to live on raman).

So, assuming I can apply for PR under skilled worker from inside canada, what are my chances of getting it within a year (while holding a PhD and already having employment as a postdoctoral trainee)?.

Thanks for any insights or advice. The adminstrative asst. in my potential department said many of their post docs have established PR, so it seems likely that I can. I am concerned about how long it will take though =(.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrakis View Post
1) I am fairly certain, but just to make sure: my husband would be a dependent on my app for PR, so he doesn't have to apply for his own residence, right? I would probably be applying under the skilled worker program (as we score about a 90 on the test together).

2) Can I apply for PR under the skilled worker program from *inside* canada (while working on my temporary work visa)

3) Once I apply for PR, how long will it take me to get it? I think this is only feasible for us if I can get PR (and he can start working) within a year or so of us of moving there (as we have saved a little bit of cash to supplement our income). Any longer than that, and we can't really afford it (unless we want to live on raman).

So, assuming I can apply for PR under skilled worker from inside canada, what are my chances of getting it within a year (while holding a PhD and already having employment as a postdoctoral trainee)?.

Thanks for any insights or advice. The adminstrative asst. in my potential department said many of their post docs have established PR, so it seems likely that I can. I am concerned about how long it will take though =(.
You are doing the right thing by checking with Citizenship and Immigration Canada directly. Better to hear it from the source than to trust a bunch of strangers on the interweb. With that said...

When you get your temporary work permit, your spouse should be able to get an open work permit right away. When I came to Canada on a TWP, my wife received her open work permit literally minutes after asking. Your work permit will be very restrictive but an open work permit should be valid as long as the primary work permit exists. The open work permit will allow your spouse to get a job right away without going through the LMO process.

Applying for PR within Canada is one of the preferred routes. The Provincial Nominee Program is generally viewed as the quickest path to PR. 1 year from start to finish is very possible with the PNP.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:20 AM

Thank you so much, ZX. When you say "minutes after asking", where did she request it, exactly? Right at the border? Or after she had entered the country at an immigration office?

Thanks for your other suggestions, too. I will look into the PNP before I do the skilled worker, as it does seem to be a faster track.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,500 times
You apply for your temporary work permits when you arrive at the border. We crossed at the airport. Upon reaching the airport immigration office, I applied for my temporary work permit with all documentation in hand. It took approx. 20 minutes to approve and process the permit. Once I had my TWP in hand, my wife applied for an open work permit that is available to most spouses. The processing of her permit took approx. 5 minutes and she did not need any of the documentation (LMO, proof of education, proof of experience, signed job offer, et al) reqired of the primary holder.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much for your reassurances. I was panicking b/c the admin. asst. I am working with had given me some incorrect information, and I thought that a work permit for him was out of the question. I did some further research (turns out, the university of toronto has a great website for international post docs), and found that, indeed, he should qualify for the same work permit as your wife. It is great to know that the whole thing won't take us hours, most likely, as well. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:24 PM

207 posts, read 748,569 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your reassurances. I was panicking b/c the admin. asst. I am working with had given me some incorrect information, and I thought that a work permit for him was out of the question. I did some further research (turns out, the university of toronto has a great website for international post docs), and found that, indeed, he should qualify for the same work permit as your wife. It is great to know that the whole thing won't take us hours, most likely, as well. Thanks again for all your help!
Congrad! U of T invest heavily in R&D and it's one of the best University in Canada.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 AM

7 posts, read 38,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
You apply for your temporary work permits when you arrive at the border. We crossed at the airport. Upon reaching the airport immigration office, I applied for my temporary work permit with all documentation in hand. It took approx. 20 minutes to approve and process the permit. Once I had my TWP in hand, my wife applied for an open work permit that is available to most spouses. The processing of her permit took approx. 5 minutes and she did not need any of the documentation (LMO, proof of education, proof of experience, signed job offer, et al) reqired of the primary holder.
Hi ZX14T ,

is it the airport immigration office within the airport?

If my husband goes to Canada first, I and my daughter go later. In that case, where I can apply Open Work Permit? still in airport immigration office? Do I need to bring any docs along besides the passport?

And, does this open work permit allow spouse to work in fulltime?

Thanks alot.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,672 times
Quote:
Hello! This is my first post here. I am going out of my mind trying to get information before I accept a job offer (I am also calling my local office in buffalo tomorrow). Here is my situation. I hope you can help me. I have read all the official web pages from the canadian govt. on immigration, but my questions are still not answered.

I am a US citizen. I am getting married in the next couple of weeks (also a US citizen) and receiving my PhD in August (if everything goes as planned).

I have a great job offer in Toronto for postdoctoral research (my potential employer says the paperwork for me is very easy due to my status as a "trainee"), and I really do not want to turn it down. I am worried about my husband's potential to work, though.

I have read it can be very difficult to obtain a work permit. Right now, he does not have any "special skills" he could use to apply for a work permit and positive LMO (he used to be a skilled laborer, but he doesn't do that anymore due to old injuries). Currently, he is working a non-skilled job (at a local restaurant), and will probably study as an online student (at an american university) while we are in Canada. However, he *must* work unless we want to live at a lower standard of living than we enjoy now (because, though I am getting a huge raise, I have to start paying back my student loans, which offsets the raise).

Ok, so my question is, once I am inside Canada with my work permit (and assuming we have appropriate visas, etc), I want to apply for permanent residence. I think we will be there for at least 3-5 years (the duration of the offer for post doctoral training), and we are considering staying after that point (hey, we like toronto), so would be a good idea for us anyways.

My questions are:

Mind if I ask what field of research it is?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Mind if I ask what field of research it is?

The thread is from 2008 and the member hasn't logged on to City Data since 2008.

The odds of getting a reply are slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada