Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 01:23 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,327,980 times

Advertisements

The board and lodging at the college I attended, provided each day three meals (including packed sandwiches and an apple/orange for those who could not get back for the midday meals). Dinner was once a week on a midday every Sunday. That was really annoying, because one had to rush back on time to don on the black gown and waited in line for the roll call.

Nowadays, main meal is 'brunch", supplemented with a late afternoon tea. Occasionally, our neighbours would bring us a late night supper from a takeout joint. Rarely, do we dine out.

Quote:
https://www.dictionary.com/e/supper-vs-dinner/
In parts of the US, supper and dinner are used interchangeably to refer to the evening meal, but they’re not exactly synonyms.
* Dinner, which dates back to the late 1200s, refers to the main meal of the day—historically, a meal served midday for many peoples.
The term comes from the Middle English diner, which, via French, goes back to a Vulgar Latin word represented as disjejunare, meaning “to break one’s fast.” The verb dine also comes from this root.
* Supper, in terms of word origins, is associated with the evening. It comes from an Old French word souper, meaning “evening meal,” a noun based on a verb meaning “to eat or serve (a meal).” Fun fact: the word soup, also entering English from French, is probably related. The deeper roots of supper, soup, and related words like sup and sop, appear to be from Germanic roots from way back when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 06:31 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
It always threw my off a bit hearing a Newfoundlander friend say “dinner” for the midday meal. In French it’s always been diner but growing up in S Ontario dinner has always been interchangeable with supper as the evening meal, at least in my community. There’s some other things like this, “soft drink” instead of pop or soda is a Montreal thing (maybe just the older generation though). Also “chips” for instead of French fries I believe is the norm in Atlantic Canada although I’ve heard older folks use it in Ontario too. Maybe this is all going by the wayside though with the dominance of American tv

Old 05-03-2023, 09:16 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It always threw my off a bit hearing a Newfoundlander friend say “dinner” for the midday meal. In French it’s always been diner but growing up in S Ontario dinner has always been interchangeable with supper as the evening meal, at least in my community. There’s some other things like this, “soft drink” instead of pop or soda is a Montreal thing (maybe just the older generation though). Also “chips” for instead of French fries I believe is the norm in Atlantic Canada although I’ve heard older folks use it in Ontario too. Maybe this is all going by the wayside though with the dominance of American tv
I think most people around here say soft drink, not pop or soda. Mostly if they want a soft drink it's a Coke or Pepsi, both being interchangeable with "coke."

Old 05-03-2023, 12:10 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think most people around here say soft drink, not pop or soda. Mostly if they want a soft drink it's a Coke or Pepsi, both being interchangeable with "coke."
I suppose the proportion varies a bit from region to region, but pop and soft drink seem to be used fairly interchangeably in spoken Canadian English. When written down on a menu though, it's almost always soft drink.

There may be some Canadians who use soda to describe stuff like Coke, Pepsi and Sprite, but to me that's generally a giveaway that someone is American.

Soda to me generally means the person is referring to soda water, but forgot to add the word water in their sentence.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:40 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Do you refer to certain fruit desserts as cobblers, crisps, crumbles, betties , or grunts?

Old 05-03-2023, 03:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
For baked fruit desserts I use the terms cobblers, crisps and crumbles and sometimes tortes depending on the recipe and how the dessert is made, but I never call them betties or grunts.

I know what betties, slumps and grunts are and that those are American given names but I don't know how or why they were given those names.

ETA - Okay, I looked it up and I know now why they have those and other funny names. The sound of the apple pan dowdy appeals to me, I think I'll try the recipe:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...iscuit%20dough.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-03-2023 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-03-2023, 04:30 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
For baked fruit desserts I use the terms cobblers, crisps and crumbles and sometimes tortes depending on the recipe and how the dessert is made, but I never call them betties or grunts.

I know what betties, slumps and grunts are and that those are American given names but I don't know how or why they were given those names.

ETA - Okay, I looked it up and I know now why they have those and other funny names. The sound of the apple pan dowdy appeals to me, I think I'll try the recipe:

Blueberry grunt seems to be a favorite in Atlantic Canada.
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....being%20cooked.

Old 05-03-2023, 04:42 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

This American never heard until this thread of slumps or grunts. I have heard a referral to something called a Brown Betty but I don't really know what that means. If I were curious enough, I could look it up.

I have also heard of cobblers, crisps, and crumbles. My grandmother made an apple crisp. I thought a torte was more like a cake and in a different category.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:52 AM

335 posts, read 154,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
In Canada, do you have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, or breakfast, dinner, and supper?
That depends on which province you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada