Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 07:42 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Perhaps "the ones" in Winnipeg have less melanin than "the ones" in GTA?
Perhaps this is just a silly post that is nitpicking at silly details instead of recognizing that there is generally truth to what I am saying about certain cultures being more likely to have multigenerational homes than others. I completely get it has nothing to do with skin colour - that said members of certain groups with less melanin (not to be taken as a swipe at them - i'm one of em), are generally less likely to live like this. It is not an inaccurate statement. If you want to continue nitpicking about it go ahead - it comes across as silly and petty to me but I get it- i'm the agnostic in here so i'm in a minority in the Canada forum. In the Atheist section a lot of smart people would agree with me. I can be a punching bag for Canadian forum pettiness - all good to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 08:36 AM
pdw

2,676 posts, read 3,098,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Perhaps this is just a silly post that is nitpicking at silly details instead of recognizing that there is generally truth to what I am saying about certain cultures being more likely to have multigenerational homes than others. I completely get it has nothing to do with skin colour - that said members of certain groups with less melanin (not to be taken as a swipe at them - i'm one of em), are generally less likely to live like this. It is not an inaccurate statement. If you want to continue nitpicking about it go ahead - it comes across as silly and petty to me but I get it- i'm the agnostic in here so i'm in a minority in the Canada forum. In the Atheist section a lot of smart people would agree with me. I can be a punching bag for Canadian forum pettiness - all good to me
I completely understand what you were saying Acajack and there’s nothing offensive about it. It’s true that Eastern religions and philosophy have created a stronger concept of collectivism in the countries where they’re practised. Family before the individual, etc. Many people from there are proud of that aspect of their culture. It’s not right or wrong, just different than the Western influenced point of view

Old 09-26-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I completely understand what you were saying Acajack and there’s nothing offensive about it. It’s true that Eastern religions and philosophy have created a stronger concept of collectivism in the countries where they’re practised. Family before the individual, etc. Many people from there are proud of that aspect of their culture. It’s not right or wrong, just different than the Western influenced point of view
Did you smoke something today Zoisite - oh oh I mean PDW

but thanks for your commentary it mirrors what I was saying which was without prejudice. It just so happens that in an environment where housing costs as much as it does, those who work in this collectivist mentality and pooling together resources, it makes sense they will be more apt to succeed in the housing market.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-26-2023 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-27-2023, 05:55 AM

72 posts, read 59,365 times
You think Canada isn't first world because of the homeless and high house prices? lol. There has always been hobo's. They're crazy in their head and addicted to drugs. There's more of them now because there's no consequence for bad hobo behavior anymore.

High house prices? move to Manitoba or something. Get a better job or go back to school to get one.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:32 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
Lots of news lately from all players regarding housing, GST removal has led to developers to okay 10K units+ and the feds are increasing the annual Canadain mortgage bonds, aiming for 30K more units a year.

Now it's time for the municipalities to open the floodgates and build + upgrade infrastructure.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:01 AM

1,227 posts, read 502,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigodqew View Post
? lol. There has always been hobo's
Yeah but the hobos of today are not as cool as the ones from the past.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:39 AM

I LOVED that show when I was a kid... lol.. I rep'd you for that l'l memory flash. I know shocking haha

Old 09-27-2023, 10:45 AM

1,227 posts, read 502,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I LOVED that show when I was a kid.
LOL Same.

Old 09-27-2023, 11:34 AM
pdw

2,676 posts, read 3,098,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Lots of news lately from all players regarding housing, GST removal has led to developers to okay 10K units+ and the feds are increasing the annual Canadain mortgage bonds, aiming for 30K more units a year.

Now it's time for the municipalities to open the floodgates and build + upgrade infrastructure.
Good news! Glad to hear it. I’ve floated different ideas on how to fix this, I.e. forced deamalgamations of municipalities to bypass NIMBY laws.

What do you guys think of this: frame housing as a national security issue and allow the military to build their own houses, so a house would be guaranteed to all new recruits provide it they participate in this construction program. I think it would boost enlistment and also give veterans the kind of compensation they deserve. Super radical, I guess, but I think it could be a good idea.

Old 09-27-2023, 12:11 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Good news! Glad to hear it. I’ve floated different ideas on how to fix this, I.e. forced deamalgamations of municipalities to bypass NIMBY laws.

What do you guys think of this: frame housing as a national security issue and allow the military to build their own houses, so a house would be guaranteed to all new recruits provide it they participate in this construction program. I think it would boost enlistment and also give veterans the kind of compensation they deserve. Super radical, I guess, but I think it could be a good idea.
I wouldn't go that far but I would definitely implement a YIMBY program and increase direct funding to municipalities as they build more. If they do not reach targets then no funding. This is the conservatives platform and honestly, I'm for it.

We also need to have an anti-nimby party and vote for pro development parties at the municipal level. I am also a believer in granting more powers at the municipal level and they can implement economic zones to encourage growth.

Tax credits or removing Provincial sales tax from new builds should also be rolled out, along with increased government builds for low income and homeless people. We can reach "zero" homeless and doing this will save us $$ in the long term than endless welfare programs that balloon in costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada