Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2023, 01:53 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Good news! Glad to hear it. I’ve floated different ideas on how to fix this, I.e. forced deamalgamations of municipalities to bypass NIMBY laws.

What do you guys think of this: frame housing as a national security issue and allow the military to build their own houses, so a house would be guaranteed to all new recruits provide it they participate in this construction program. I think it would boost enlistment and also give veterans the kind of compensation they deserve. Super radical, I guess, but I think it could be a good idea.
While I'm in the mood for ranting, just who do we want to fight? And if a war comes, just how many young men do we want to leave traumatized? And how do we know we would even be on the right side???

Mennonite pacifism is supposed to mean not even raising your hands in self-defense. During the 1st world war, some young Mennonite men organized themselves into defense units for their villages. My husband and I translated some journals for families of these men and I remember in one of them the man was alternately in the White and Red Russian forces having been captured, telling whatever lies he needed to in order to survive long enough to escape. At one point he found himself before the anarchist Nestor Makhnov who supposedly had worked on a Mennonite estate at one time, who asked him why he had fought when all the Mennonites had needed to do was remain true to their pacifism and all would have been well. I don't believe a word of that, but that's what he said. I have no reason to disbelieve a journal written by a man who had no reason to think anyone else would read it.

My father, as a boy, climbed up a cupboard and found a poster of a man he presumed was his grandfather, who died serving as medical support for the Red army. My grandmother snatched the poster away from my father and told him that was a very bad man and not his grandfather at all.

It was Hitler.

Having escaped Russia in 1924, my grandparents had obviously hoped that the Germans, who were familiar to them in speaking a common language, would drive the communists out. I think that's clear by virtue of having a Hitler poster. Even pacifists cheer for sides. If you understand what happened under the communists, Canada's future ally, you might not judge that too harshly.

But my grandfather had a Jewish friend who had been receiving alarming letters from relatives in Germany. He shared with my grandfather those letters and my grandfather's support of Hitler faded away. Kudos to him - many did simply not believe what man could do to man.

So I will admit I am suspicious of armies. Soldiers are taught to obey orders - but after the second world war that wasn't good enough. Following orders will never be good enough again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 02:27 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Russia was not Poland’s friend during WWII. The Soviet Union and Nazi Germany had a pact (1939-41). Both countries invaded Poland in September 1939.

Then there’s the Katyn massacre:
Quote:
The Katyn massacre was a series of mass executions of nearly 22,000 Polish military officers and intelligentsia prisoners of war carried out by the Soviet Union, specifically the NKVD ("People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs", the Soviet secret police) in April and May 1940. Though the killings also occurred in the Kalinin and Kharkiv prisons and elsewhere, the massacre is named after the Katyn forest, where some of the mass graves were first discovered by German Nazi forces.

The order to execute captive members of the Polish officer corps was secretly issued by the Soviet Politburo led by Joseph Stalin. Of the total killed, about 8,000 were officers imprisoned during the 1939 Soviet invasion of Poland, another 6,000 were police officers, and the remaining 8,000 were Polish intelligentsia the Soviets deemed to be "intelligence agents and gendarmes, spies and saboteurs, former landowners, factory owners and officials". The Polish Army officer class was representative of the multi-ethnic Polish state; the murdered included ethnic Poles, Ukrainians, Belarusians, and 700–900 Polish Jews including the chief Rabbi of the Polish Army, Baruch Steinberg.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_...d%20May%201940.

I’m not surprised that if you had to pick a side, you’d pick to fight against those who murdered your loved ones. That’s just human nature.

What was going on in concentration camps was not generally known until after the war. I remember reading about the liberation of one of the concentration camps. The American soldiers were in total shock at what they saw. Locals who lived close by must have guessed though.

Last edited by cdnirene; 09-27-2023 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-27-2023, 03:45 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Thanks for sharing Netwit. Makhno was horrible, I saw a documentary about it from the 80s where they interviewed real survivors and talked about what happened. Some of my family’s roots are similar, but from an earlier pre-Soviet wave of immigrants to Canada from what is now Ukraine.

While I don’t want a war like WW2 to ever happen again, I think we are leaving ourselves vulnerable without a strong army given rising tensions in the world. I respect your perspective though and would imagine my grandfather might have had a similar one if he were alive today.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:40 PM

577 posts, read 1,474,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigodqew View Post
High house prices? move to Manitoba or something. Get a better job or go back to school to get one.
Are you practicing what you preach? LOL.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:56 AM

333 posts, read 153,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirehose View Post
What exactly is going on in this country?

You get two bags of groceries and it cost about $100. The same two bags would've been just $50 a couple of years ago.

Rent increased again, that's cool. Now it is over $2000. Not bad though, thats still a bit less than the average rent in Canada....wait, what?

The healthcare that was bragged about to anyone who will listen is on paper more than anything. My old doctor left and now I'm looking at not having one for at least one and a half years. What?

Life expectancies are dropping for the under 40 generation and its dropping fast. Unemployment claims just hit their highest levels since 2008. Are we calling this a recession yet? No, instead the government is still enticing poor immigrants into this land of opportunity to blow their life savings here.

Cities have homeless drug addicts sprawled across the streets. I turn on the TV and see politicians making an entire career by offering tax payer funded heroin to addicts. Homeless.People. Everywhere. The good thing though is that we're bringing in record numbers of third world immigrants, that's fun.

Meanwhile the government puts out new ads and news stories about how Canada is the best country in the world according to some new amateur poll. Incredible how obvious it's gotten.

So where will we be in two years? This country cannot possibly continue on this path. 9/10 young Canadians have completely given up on ever owning a home. Thats insane for a self congratulated first world country.

People no longer take pride in Canada because...why should they? Because the federal government will pay for your sex change if you work for them? How does a country that used to pride itself on equality allow it's cities to become dystopias split between homeless drug addicts and well to do people who inherited their parents wealth?

We are headed towards second world status fast. Really, the OECD stated that if the economy turns around immediately it will still take at least a decade to recover to where we are today.

Now we see even progressive people in other western countries looking at Canada a bit sideways. As the example to avoid. It turns out that the world doesn't 'need a lil' more Canada' anymore. You don't want to end up like those Canadians do you? It's an embarrassment.

OK enough sarcasm...what is the solution to this? There are lots of intelligent voices here so what do you think? Where we will be in two years from now if this continues? I don't see a way out so I wonder who does.
Welcome to Trudeau's Canada.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:04 AM

433 posts, read 405,362 times
Quote:

You get two bags of groceries and it cost about $100. The same two bags would've been just $50 a couple of years ago.

Rent increased again, that's cool. Now it is over $2000. Not bad though, thats still a bit less than the average rent in Canada....wait, what?

The healthcare that was bragged about to anyone who will listen is on paper more than anything. My old doctor left and now I'm looking at not having one for at least one and a half years. What?

Life expectancies are dropping for the under 40 generation and its dropping fast. Unemployment claims just hit their highest levels since 2008. Are we calling this a recession yet? No, instead the government is still enticing poor immigrants into this land of opportunity to blow their life savings here.

Cities have homeless drug addicts sprawled across the streets. I turn on the TV and see politicians making an entire career by offering tax payer funded heroin to addicts. Homeless.People. Everywhere. The good thing though is that we're bringing in record numbers of third world immigrants, that's fun.

Meanwhile the government puts out new ads and news stories about how Canada is the best country in the world according to some new amateur poll. Incredible how obvious it's gotten.

So where will we be in two years? This country cannot possibly continue on this path. 9/10 young Canadians have completely given up on ever owning a home. Thats insane for a self congratulated first world country.

People no longer take pride in Canada because...why should they? Because the federal government will pay for your sex change if you work for them? How does a country that used to pride itself on equality allow it's cities to become dystopias split between homeless drug addicts and well to do people who inherited their parents wealth?

We are headed towards second world status fast. Really, the OECD stated that if the economy turns around immediately it will still take at least a decade to recover to where we are today.

Now we see even progressive people in other western countries looking at Canada a bit sideways. As the example to avoid. It turns out that the world doesn't 'need a lil' more Canada' anymore. You don't want to end up like those Canadians do you? It's an embarrassment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2AuVQKpq0

OK enough sarcasm...what is the solution to this? There are lots of intelligent voices here so what do you think? Where we will be in two years from now if this continues? I don't see a way out so I wonder who does.
How about Canada and USA unite into one country?

Old 09-28-2023, 09:46 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocolumbia View Post
How about Canada and USA unite into one country?
I was just reading that a Florida School district has removed all library books containing gay characters in them. Not long ago, one of only 3 Louisiana Pediatric Cardiologists is leaving the State due to increasing intolerance to LGBTQ community members. The recent Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v Wade is showing some pretty sharp moves to the Right in the U.S - but specifically from red states.

My point is I think that Americans will increasingly start moving to places within the U.S that more reflect their values. Ideology is translating even further to geography and increased separation. Canada is not like this to such a strong degree but we are seeing a further polarization in this country so the story is not yet complete.

So could this mean an eventual merger with the basis being more shared values. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility but I don't think we'll see in in any of our lifetimes. Things have changed quickly though. Today, 8 years ago Barack Obama was President. wtf has happened since then lol.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-28-2023 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-28-2023, 09:57 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2AuVQKpq0

Sounds exactly like a first world country to me.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Sounds exactly like a first world country to me.
LOL.. Touché

Old 09-28-2023, 10:22 PM

100 posts, read 93,403 times
Try arguing with this.

Bonjour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada