Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2023, 10:35 PM

225 posts, read 152,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
Try arguing with this.

Bonjour!
An excellent read. Thank you for sharing this! Like the other hot topics (LGBTQPIA2+ and economic collapse), the opposition will gaslight and pretend it is not real. Having 50% of a country being first or second generation immigrants is replacement. How incredible that people defend this.

EDIT: After reading the whole thing, I take this statement back. I agree with some points but this author goes into a white supremacist road.

Last edited by Quebec Is My Country; 09-28-2023 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 07:43 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
An excellent read. Thank you for sharing this! Like the other hot topics (LGBTQPIA2+ and economic collapse), the opposition will gaslight and pretend it is not real. Having 50% of a country being first or second generation immigrants is replacement. How incredible that people defend this.

EDIT: After reading the whole thing, I take this statement back. I agree with some points but this author goes into a white supremacist road.
I read a bit more into the author who was born in India. He basically believes India went downhill after the British were gone from that country. The message that places like Brampton are sh!tholes is because that is what he thinks of India. Anyway whoever has actually been to brampton knows they are by and large housing subdivisions. While they lack the character of Old Toronto urbanity, the houses themselves are typically N.A suburban fare. No character copy and paste housing, but far from ugly houses and certainly not sh!tholes.

I suspect the author wrote this piece as he felt it was a good time to stoke India vs Canada fires. The link that Grotte posted also has a bunch of stuff on anti-vaccine mandates etc so one can judge that as they see fit.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-29-2023 at 07:59 AM..

Old 09-29-2023, 07:49 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
It’s hilarious seeing poor white people from places like Oshawa and Hamilton talk about Brampton like it’s the worst “****hole” in the province when it’s by all metrics a largely upper middle class area with some of the best performing schools, etc in the GTA. There’s some poorer neighbourhoods because it’s a city with like 700k people but those are definitely not representative of Brampton as a whole. Some people just hate change

Old 09-29-2023, 07:55 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It’s hilarious seeing poor white people from places like Oshawa and Hamilton talk about Brampton like it’s the worst “****hole” in the province when it’s by all metrics a largely upper middle class area with some of the best performing schools, etc in the GTA. There’s some poorer neighbourhoods because it’s a city with like 700k people but those are definitely not representative of Brampton as a whole. Some people just hate change
Well the Author is Indian not a white person. Hamilton and Oshawa aren't cheap anymore but yes, they are more established and legacy communities. I don't think most white people from these areas are calling Brampton a sh!thole tbh. I think it is limited to just people like the author - those who like to generalize whole groups of people.

You see that in here. More and more people are just finding it acceptable to paint a whole community with a broad and exaggerated brush stroke at that and is usually negatively connotated. It is for me a sad commentary.

Brampton though yes - by and large the houses are actually quite nice in and of themselves. Boring urbanity wise but many are newer modern houses and they aren't small. They are actually well suited to support multigenerational housing requirements.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-29-2023 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-29-2023, 09:54 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well the Author is Indian not a white person. Hamilton and Oshawa aren't cheap anymore but yes, they are more established and legacy communities. I don't think most white people from these areas are calling Brampton a sh!thole tbh. I think it is limited to just people like the author - those who like to generalize whole groups of people.

You see that in here. More and more people are just finding it acceptable to paint a whole community with a broad and exaggerated brush stroke at that and is usually negatively connotated. It is for me a sad commentary.

Brampton though yes - by and large the houses are actually quite nice in and of themselves. Boring urbanity wise but many are newer modern houses and they aren't small. They are actually well suited to support multigenerational housing requirements.
I was more referring to people I’ve met in my personal life rather than the author but it’s a common sentiment to refer to Brampton as “bad”. Mostly hear it from white working class types, who’s own hometowns probably have higher violent crime and drug problems and higher school dropout and teen pregnancy rates, go figure.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:05 AM

100 posts, read 93,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I was more referring to people I’ve met in my personal life rather than the author.

He addresses this point exactly:

Most reading this article haven’t experienced such an increase in immigrants. But your anecdotal experience is not the statistical reality. The composition of people you socialize with does not represent the ethnic proportion of the Canadian population.
Put differently, the new immigrants often get ghettoized in areas you never visit. When you encounter them, your interaction will likely be short and superficial. But they have the same vote as you do.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:32 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Try arguing with this.

Bonjour!
One of the dumbest things I've ever read. As they say, can't argue with stupidity but here's a link on the history of immigration to Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....le/immigration

Old 09-29-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
One of the dumbest things I've ever read. As they say, can't argue with stupidity but here's a link on the history of immigration to Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....le/immigration

Yep, the guy must be pretty dumb as he used that web site for his data:

Between 2016 and 2021, Canada welcomed a bit over 1.3 million immigrants. Census data from 2021 shows that migrants from India, the Philippines and China were the three most numerous groups of recent immigrants arriving in Canada. Around 18.6 per cent of recent immigrants were born in India, 11.4 per cent in the Philippines and 8.9 per cent in China.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:24 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Yep, the guy must be pretty dumb as he used that web site for his data:

Between 2016 and 2021, Canada welcomed a bit over 1.3 million immigrants. Census data from 2021 shows that migrants from India, the Philippines and China were the three most numerous groups of recent immigrants arriving in Canada. Around 18.6 per cent of recent immigrants were born in India, 11.4 per cent in the Philippines and 8.9 per cent in China.
And your point is - what? That Canada is an English country? A white country? That Canada should put a head tax on non-white immigrants like they did to the Chinese?

But what would I know. As the grandchild of refugees from - horrors! - a Slavic country! That used to be barely better than the Jews!

Old 09-29-2023, 11:36 AM

As our dumb guy keeps spewing his dumb garbage:

Canada now has massive ghettos.
Are you denying this?

There is no history in human affairs when a society willingly gave itself away to foreigners. There is no history of a society maintaining any values once foreigners overtook it.
Are you denying this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada