Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2023, 12:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
As our dumb guy keeps spewing his dumb garbage:

Canada now has massive ghettos.
Are you denying this?

There is no history in human affairs when a society willingly gave itself away to foreigners. There is no history of a society maintaining any values once foreigners overtook it.
Are you denying this?
Well, I'd say if Canada wanted an English country with Anglo-Saxons they "gave themselves away" when they guaranteed Russian Mennonites their own schools, in their own language, and exemption from military service back in 1874. So it's too late to put the perogies and the borscht back in the pot. Western Canada is littered with bloc settlements of ethnic kin. That was Canada's decision way back when. It was not out of the goodness of Canada's heart but to fill the prairies with people who knew how to work this land and keep the Americans out of it.

If you ever come to Manitoba, specifically south of Winnipeg you are on vast tracts of what was a Mennonite reserve, yup, just like the reserves for the first nations. The government of course stole it from the First Nations to give it to the Mennonites, but then stole it back a few years later. Still, the land east of the Red River is called the East Reserve by many to this day, and the land west is the West Reserve.

So what is new about ethnic ghettos? That the people you are talking about are not white? Do you think that the "real" inheritors of this land are white and Anglo? I'm confused. Canada had until recently preferred immigrants, starting with British immigrants, then as the need for immigrants increased, allowing other groups, with Slavs and Jews down at the bottom.

Canada IS "foreigners." It’s been that from its earliest years. How is it that you would notice that only now? Each foreign group has contributed much more than it has ever taken. They are not foreigners. I am not a foreigner.

Does it make you uncomfortable to see another skin colour or hear another language spoken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 12:14 PM

100 posts, read 93,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So what is new about ethnic ghettos? That the people you are talking about are not white?
Oh, there are white ghettos all right. There is a massive Russian one in North York. Much like the Brighton Beach in NYC. Fits every description of the ghetto. To quote our dumb guy again:
one rooted in the absence of civilizational constraints and moral values.

Old 09-29-2023, 12:37 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I'd say if Canada wanted an English country with Anglo-Saxons they "gave themselves away" when they guaranteed Russian Mennonites their own schools, in their own language, and exemption from military service back in 1874. So it's too late to put the perogies and the borscht back in the pot. Western Canada is littered with bloc settlements of ethnic kin. That was Canada's decision way back when. It was not out of the goodness of Canada's heart but to fill the prairies with people who knew how to work this land and keep the Americans out of it.

If you ever come to Manitoba, specifically south of Winnipeg you are on vast tracts of what was a Mennonite reserve, yup, just like the reserves for the first nations. The government of course stole it from the First Nations to give it to the Mennonites, but then stole it back a few years later. Still, the land east of the Red River is called the East Reserve by many to this day, and the land west is the West Reserve.

So what is new about ethnic ghettos? That the people you are talking about are not white? Do you think that the "real" inheritors of this land are white and Anglo? I'm confused. Canada had until recently preferred immigrants, starting with British immigrants, then as the need for immigrants increased, allowing other groups, with Slavs and Jews down at the bottom.

Canada IS "foreigners." It’s been that from its earliest years. How is it that you would notice that only now? Each foreign group has contributed much more than it has ever taken. They are not foreigners. I am not a foreigner.

Does it make you uncomfortable to see another skin colour or hear another language spoken?
Well said, Netwit

Old 09-29-2023, 01:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
Oh, there are white ghettos all right. There is a massive Russian one in North York. Much like the Brighton Beach in NYC. Fits every description of the ghetto. To quote our dumb guy again:
one rooted in the absence of civilizational constraints and moral values.
Yikes.

Old 09-29-2023, 01:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I was more referring to people I’ve met in my personal life rather than the author but it’s a common sentiment to refer to Brampton as “bad”. Mostly hear it from white working class types, who’s own hometowns probably have higher violent crime and drug problems and higher school dropout and teen pregnancy rates, go figure.
I know some people will look for any reason to sew division and anger - not you I just mean in general. This isn't just relative to one race or ethnicity either. It is a shame of our existence as humans but it is what it is. But yeah - Brampton is not 'bad' and anyone who says that is just ignorant imo.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:25 AM

335 posts, read 154,532 times
Quote:
Did the cost of living drop for the average American from 2016 to 2020 under Donald Trump? The answer is no. How about on the local level. I’m Alberta have rents and housing prices risen or declined since 2019 when the UCP took over from the NDP? The answer is they have gone up significantly.
I don't think even Mad Max Bernier could do a worse job than the utterly incompetent moron sitting in the PM's office right now. Under the watch of the Trudeau Government, we have seen the introduction of a carbon tax that has literally done nothing but cause skyrocketing inflation, ramped up immigration targets at a time when we have less housing starts than we did in the 70's, and his administration blow more taxpayer's money than ALL OTHER FORMER CANADIAN FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS COMBINED. If you can't see a correlation between these actions and the skyrocketing cost of living, you need to learn basic Economics 101.

But hey... Why worry? The budget will balance itself, right?

Old 10-03-2023, 11:46 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I don't think even Mad Max Bernier could do a worse job than the utterly incompetent moron sitting in the PM's office right now. Under the watch of the Trudeau Government, we have seen the introduction of a carbon tax that has literally done nothing but cause skyrocketing inflation, ramped up immigration targets at a time when we have less housing starts than we did in the 70's, and his administration blow more taxpayer's money than ALL OTHER FORMER CANADIAN FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS COMBINED. If you can't see a correlation between these actions and the skyrocketing cost of living, you need to learn basic Economics 101.

But hey... Why worry? The budget will balance itself, right?
I’m not personally a fiscal conservative so I personally value other objectives and priorities like reducing carbon emissions and funding social programs like CERB, affordable daycare, etc before servicing debt and lowering taxes but yes I see from a conservative perspective how people can be frustrated with Trudeau’s government. Many factors are global which would not go away with a change of leadership in the PM’s office though, and on the issues that are not global, I see someone like Bernier being even more divisive than Trudeau, as divisive as things may seem now. Unless the NDP really get to work campaigning and are on track to become the official opposition or at least 1st or 2nd place in my riding, the liberals have my vote in the next federal election. I think most left leaning people feel the same way. Pollievre is just too scary for me, especially with all the stuff now like calling Trudeau a “Marxist” (lol) and his backing of these anti-trans protests recently. Don’t want a right wing populist as our PM

Old 10-05-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Don’t want a right wing populist as our PM
Populism (n): A political program or movement that champions the common person, usually by favorable contrast with the elite or establishment.

I can see why so-called progressives and elitists are so terrified of this concept.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Populism (n): A political program or movement that champions the common person, usually by favorable contrast with the elite or establishment.

I can see why so-called progressives and elitists are so terrified of this concept.
People who are afraid of the concept of championing the common person are not what I call progressives or elitists. They are just self-centered entitlement minded feather heads, usually young adults and spoiled by mommy and daddy. Even idealists would be the wrong word to use for people like that. I think you are confusing the real meanings of those words with something else and I can't help wondering if you actually know what the words mean? You seem to be a bit confused about the meaning of the word establishment as well. Do you know what pseudo-intellectual means?

Old 10-06-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
People who are afraid of the concept of championing the common person are not what I call progressives or elitists.
Nor do I. Perhaps you should go back and re-read my post.

Quote:
Do you know what pseudo-intellectual means?
I'm fairly certain I am responding to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada