Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-11-2024, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,323 posts, read 9,376,299 times
Reputation: 9860

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well these exceptions (technically errors) may exist but I can assure you that both in France and Québec the standard is to place the symbol for the currency denomination after the numerical figure, and to use a comma for the decimal.

Joyeuses Pâques to you too!
I will confirm that. It's language specific, not country specific. German is the same. Then there is the 7 with a line through it so it isn't mistaken for a 1.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2024, 05:45 PM
 
6,061 posts, read 6,010,912 times
Reputation: 3623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Largely identical to the situation in Australia. Both New Zealand and The UK appear to share the same issue. (too many entrants placing heavy stress in infrastructure)

At least the Canadian PM has finally admitted mistakes were made. We in Australia still await any such announcement. Debate on the matter appears one sided with all major media outlets in support of a Big Australia, added to no joy, with either our Left or Right political parties (including The Greens)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,886 posts, read 38,178,225 times
Reputation: 11653
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I will confirm that. It's language specific, not country specific. German is the same. Then there is the 7 with a line through it so it isn't mistaken for a 1.
I actually write my 7s like that and in Quebec while not 100% of people it's likely the most common way of writing it. My Gen Z kids write it that way.

Though as is typical for us (halfway between America and Europe yet again) we don't do the tent-like 1s like they do in Europe. If someone does that here they've definitely gone to school in Europe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 09:04 AM
 
1,293 posts, read 544,666 times
Reputation: 797
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,323 posts, read 9,376,299 times
Reputation: 9860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I actually write my 7s like that and in Quebec while not 100% of people it's likely the most common way of writing it. My Gen Z kids write it that way.

Though as is typical for us (halfway between America and Europe yet again) we don't do the tent-like 1s like they do in Europe. If someone does that here they've definitely gone to school in Europe.
I write my 7s like that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,886 posts, read 38,178,225 times
Reputation: 11653
Thinking about it but for my 1s they don't look almost like an upside-down V like the French ones, but I don't do my 1s as a single vertical line like many do in North America either.

My handwritten 1s look almost like computer or typewriter 1s.

I like everything to be clear and without ambiguity. I often put a strike through my 0s to ensure they're not mistaken for Os.

I also hate the MDY date style (ie 04-12-24 for today) as it makes no sense and can be very confusing. It should either be (20)24-04-12 (biggest to smallest) or 12-04-(20)24 (smallest to biggest).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,323 posts, read 9,376,299 times
Reputation: 9860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thinking about it but for my 1s they don't look almost like an upside-down V like the French ones, but I don't do my 1s as a single vertical line like many do in North America either.

My handwritten 1s look almost like computer or typewriter 1s.

I like everything to be clear and without ambiguity. I often put a strike through my 0s to ensure they're not mistaken for Os.

I also hate the MDY date style (ie 04-12-24 for today) as it makes no sense and can be very confusing. It should either be (20)24-04-12 (biggest to smallest) or 12-04-(20)24 (smallest to biggest).
I do day/month/year. It makes the most sense to me. I'm constantly being confused by receipts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:38 AM
 
1,293 posts, read 544,666 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Posthaste: Canada at 'critical turning point' as poverty worsens, warns report

Canada has reached “a critical turning point” as the high cost of living and housing in this country push more people below the poverty line, says a report out today from Food Banks Canada.

According to the 2024 Poverty Report Cards, almost half of people nationally feel financially worse off than last year and one in four are suffering from food insecurity.

“Food Bank Canada’s 2024 Report Cards show that people in Canada, from coast to coast, are struggling to keep up with the rising cost of living, said Food Banks Canada chief executive Kirstin Beardsley.

“Though deeply concerning, these results are sadly unsurprising to the thousands of food banks across the country who have seen a 50 per cent increase in visits since 2021.”
https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/po...120058420.html
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top