Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 02:57 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

I know little about addiction and homelessness, but this success story made an impact on me when I read it last May:

'All that was left for me was jail or death': Manitoban credits Winnipeg treatment centre for saving his life

Comments which stuck out:

Quote:
"Usually programs are much shorter, three or four weeks typically. So 16 weeks gives you that foundation," he said. "We're able to work with you on all those social determinants of health, all the goal areas of your life, justice involvement, financials, your school, your work, your housing, all those key pieces." Kyllo also said the centre ensures that anyone who needs help can afford to get in, regardless of if they can pay or not.
Quote:
Even once the four-month program is complete there is no set discharge date and everyone is on their own timeline. "You actually leave either when you're ready or when there's safe and secure housing," Kyllo said. "You leave when you're ready and and when you can do so safely." Kyllo said the longest they have had someone stay at the centre is eight months.
Quote:
Even once they complete the program, Kyllo said they have counselling for life. There is weekly support available through its alumni association.
It’s a long term commitment to the addict and success costs a LOT in terms of money and resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 04:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
It seems pretty counterintuitive to not have supports available for addicts when Mental health issues and poverty is increasing. I mean there is an option to pray for them to clean up their act. I'm sure that'll have an instant impact on them, they'll see the light of the lord and we'll all be happy.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:59 PM

47 posts, read 32,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm not quite 100 yet but closing in on it too fast for my satisfaction. I have great grandchildren in their teens and I remember the events and the food rationing and victory gardens and sacrifices everyone had to make during and just after World War 2. I remember a lot about the past. Where were you then?

I can tell from the way you complain and snivel that you were probably still just a hopeful gleam in your great grand-daddy's teenage eyes at that time and you likely didn't put in your appearance until after 1999 so don't give me your complaining wiener's guff like you think you know what you're talking about. Get a grip on reality and do something positive and pro-active instead of complaining and singling people out to point your finger at anonymously on forums about things you have no experience with. The world is never going to be handed to you on a silver platter the way you want it to be if all you can do is complain about how things aren't going the way you want them to.

You have me confused with somebody else anyway - I don't have a problem with real gays, I never cried about gay people using bathrooms and I don't care if gays need to use bathrooms. I'll gladly hand them some toilet paper under their stall if they need it. I do not like the appropriation of the world's rainbow by the alphabet crowds who have abbreviated themselves into letters of the alphabet and I'm quite vocal about that. Also, I did complain about the actions of the perverted old man that was dressed in a halloween wig and a skirt that he was using as a flag to wave around on his little bobbing upright flag pole while he was pretending to be a woman taking photographs of women in the women's washroom. But that old pervert wasn't gay, he was just a pervert indulging himself and his flag pole. I said he needed some woman there to give his bobbing flag pole a really hard smack on it with a heavy purse and then kick him and his flag pole out of the women's washroom. If I'd been there I'd have been just exactly the right little old woman to do it because my purse is practically big enough for me to climb into, it's heavy and I really know how to swing it hard. If you have a problem with any of that, well that's YOUR problem not mine, and I don't care about your problems. I'm sick and tired of the sniveling of entitlement minded whippersnappers like you. So grow up.

This just in:

Retiree living off of other people's tax money calls accuses full time tax payers of wanting a free handout.

I'll leave it at that due to your age. God bless.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirehose View Post
This just in:

Retiree living off of other people's tax money calls accuses full time tax payers of wanting a free handout.

That is a very ageist thing to say! The vast majority of seniors have worked the better part of their life paying taxes and building this country. To fault them for collecting money they put into the system most of their life is just beyond low.

Don't forget - if you're lucky you'll join the ranks of being a senior citizen and for your sake I hope you have a better outlook on things.

Why say god bless - what you just wrote has nothing good in it at all!

Old 09-25-2023, 05:39 PM

47 posts, read 32,025 times
Default Ponzi Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Blaming people from 'third world' countries is not productive. They want to come here. They want to contribute to the economy and as Netwit said, we need them for very practical reasons and yes, part of that is as a tax base to support the economy for all the social programs we hold dear.
Third world immigrants are sold a fake lie that Canada is a land of opportunity. That was once the case, but not even close anymore. They come here and work for meager peanuts and drive down wages of common Canadian workers. They have an incredibly high exodus rate. Many can't reverse gears because they spent their life savings to come to Canada. In this way modern day Canada is run like a Ponzi scheme.

We don't need 4 million more immigrants by 2028, an increase of our population by 10% not including births when we already have a worldwide infamous housing crisis and homeless crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So what is your solution to fix this then? You want to talk about it - well talk. Talking isn't just about problem identification though, it is about talking of solutions too..
What would I do? I'll tell you what I would do my buddy:

1. End all immigration for 10 years minimum
2. Build housing, build housing, build housing
3. Educate the population in both English and French and build an actual Canadian identity
4. End "Canadian Experience" requirements for jobs so we those who have immigrated with PhDs aren't relegated to an "immigrant class" aka lower class.
5. Pivot it with focus on finance and technology.
6. End government oversight of the media, repeal Bill 18 immediately. This gives the government and corporations a duopoly over what you can even see on the internet
7. Create an actual conservative party to counteract the (lets be honest) marxist Liberal, NDP, and (increasingly marxist) Conservative parties.
8. Bring God back into society so people actually have a purpose in life and stop thinking their eccentricities are who they are as a person. This is where half of this crap originates from. Doing whatever you want all the time is disastrous to the individual and society.
9. Send a strong message to the WEF. We do NOT belong to you. Canada is NOT an international playground. We are NOT allied with China or any other communist country.
10. Repeal this crap involving giving out crack to crackheads under the guise of sAfE iNjEcTiOn sites. who have destroyed the lives of millions through promoting drug use. Now they are doubling down, no, tripling down and destroying even more lives in this experiment.
11. Canadians need inalienable rights like free speech AND right to bear arms. Looks at us, everyone is afraid to steer away from the narrative and have no way to fight back when tyranny is forced into our homes.

The marxist wing of Canada has run enough experiments on our children and our families. They have failed in every single regard just like they destroy every other country they've run their experiments. Like in other marxist experiments they've only succeeded in lining the pockets of a new rich class while destroying our institutions and the once pretty darn egalitarian Canada.

At this point the truth is out. The atheist leftists who have usurped the crown government will lie and cheat and steal until the cows come home rather than admit they are wrong or that they've ruined countless lives and screwed up the country. They know no bounds and they need to go.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:04 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Marxist? Do you know what that word means? It has a real definition, it’s not “what Freedom Convoyers with F Trudeau flags say is bad”. The only Marxist party in Canada are the Communist Party which has never won a seat in parliament.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:07 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This report is from 2011 though.
Here's one from 2021 https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/the-...-on-drugs.html

I'm not saying I have a solution as I think the problem is more complicated than that, but I'm not sure what you think would have changed between the 2011 report and now.

Did Prohibition work? I'm not real sure what the difference is. I know more alcoholics than illegal drug addicts. The people I know who became addicted to drugs became addicted via prescriptions from their doctors and developed a dependency. I think a lot of kids experiment with drugs in their teens, including my nephews. But I haven't seen or heard any evidence that it spiraled into an addiction, thank God.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:57 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
This just in:

I’m sorry your baby boomer parents or grandparents are in such severe financial straights that they are collecting welfare. You probably don’t realize that’s not the norm for seniors.

I probably pay more income taxes than you do. I joined my company’s defined benefit pension plan when I was 22. It was a generous plan completely funded by myself, other employees and our employer. I also pay income taxes on my CPP pension (I contributed to the plan starting at age 17) and OAS pension. The last pension is not much though as benefits drop the higher one’s taxable income is. I also pay taxes on my personal savings - I learned how to save and spend judiciously from my silent generation parents, starting at age 4 when I asked for a weekly allowance. The first week, I spent all my money on candy the first day. Then I was upset that I had no money for the rest of the week. I was more careful the next week.

Do you realize how much infrastructure you use that was paid for by previous generations?

Quote:
fake lie
That made me laugh. A fake lie by definition would be the truth.

Last edited by cdnirene; 09-25-2023 at 07:10 PM..

Old 09-25-2023, 07:04 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Third world immigrants are sold a fake lie that Canada is a land of opportunity. That was once the case, but not even close anymore. They come here and work for meager peanuts and drive down wages of common Canadian workers.
Some do, some don't. For Indian immigrants for example, Canada is very profitable. Infact Indian households on average make more than white Canadian house holds. I believe Chinese do aswell. I see recently arrived indians buying up huge homes, sometimes homes that are not even finished being built in new subdivisions.

Quote:
3. Educate the population in both English and French and build an actual Canadian identity
I actually really like this idea. I think its kind of been tried though. Most people that took french in shool don't speak it very well.

Last edited by Luisito80; 09-25-2023 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-25-2023, 07:24 PM

225 posts, read 152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I actually really like this idea. I think its kind of been tried though. Most people that took french in shool don't speak it very well.
I like that idea also. In fact I like most of those ideas. "A breath of fresh air" as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada