Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2023, 07:26 PM

225 posts, read 152,314 times

Advertisements

It appears that "redfirehose" isn't making many friends in the boomer community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 07:40 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
The safe injection sites do not seem to be working here in BC. Illicit drug toxicity is now the leading cause of death in B.C. for people between the ages of 10 to 59, surpassing homicides, suicides, accidents and natural diseases combined. More than 13,000 addicts have died here in BC since 2016.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:57 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If you're worried about the cost of living NOW, you haven't really thought about what costs without fossil fuels will be like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yes.. I think if any one of us could wave our magic wand and be completely carbon neutral and with replacement green options that are cost parallel of course we would. It just doesn't work that way. It is going to take decades and decades to get there.
I agree with both of you in that we need realistic solutions, the question is whether we should at the same time be accelerating and pursuing the solutions available to us now as quickly and as throughly as we can. I see the writing on the wall with carbon emissions continuing unfettered and it doesn’t look good. I am very optimistic battery costs will come down. I think we could be world leaders if we had the vision to use our resources for this purpose. No doubt Canada has huge lithium reserves, maybe I’m wrong but I think that stuff is everywhere and we’re a massive country. I think I’m 10 years we might come back to this thread and we’ll all be driving affordable EVs, who knows. I hope so

Old 09-25-2023, 08:22 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The safe injection sites do not seem to be working here in BC. Illicit drug toxicity is now the leading cause of death in B.C. for people between the ages of 10 to 59, surpassing homicides, suicides, accidents and natural diseases combined. More than 13,000 addicts have died here in BC since 2016.
Well, again, most people are dying in their own homes. One can also make the argument that there are not enough safe sites. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...s-bc-1.6775263

But I also found Oregon's example interesting. It's a couple of years old so I'm not sure how things worked out for them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...sons-1.6739257

The article also brings up Portugal as an example of decriminalization.

It's a complicated issue. I agree with redfirehose that people today lack a sense of meaning and purpose in their lives. I think it's at the core of addiction - people are using to cover pain. And some people are no doubt more genetically prone to addiction than others. I don't think broken families help (thinking of a nephew). I also think a lot of parents are more into being friends with their kids than in parenting. There's a fine but distinct line in being the kind of parent your child will confide in and being the kind of parent without any set boundaries.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:56 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:

But I also found Oregon's example interesting. It's a couple of years old so I'm not sure how things worked out for them.

It's not going well.....

Quote:
What Happened When Oregon Decriminalized Hard Drugs
A bold reform effort hasn’t gone as planned.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...rdoses/674733/

Quote:
Oregon botches the decriminalisation of drugs
It failed to prepare the ground
https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...ation-of-drugs

Quote:
Experiment in Chaos
Oregon’s decriminalization of drug possession is proving disastrous.
https://www.city-journal.org/article...iment-in-chaos

Quote:
Portland City Council takes another look at banning public drug consumption
https://www.opb.org/article/2023/09/...-legal-issues/

Old 09-25-2023, 09:13 PM

The drug policy in Portugal is being heavily questioned. Very different than Vancouver for example which has been turned into like an open-air drug-market. If you was trying to quit heroin would you really want to have the free supply two blocks down the street. Even a cigarette smoker struggles when there are free cigarettes around them.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
The article also brings up Portugal as an example of decriminalization.
Perhaps it was the strong Catholicism in Portugal that helped the drug policy to actually work for a while, and and that faith is attacked there is an increase in addictions. In addiction treatments a belief in a higher power is the most important component that is encouraged. I believe the saying is something like "even if you believe in a door-knob you must believe in something". I suspect this is something many people will refuse to ever explore, however. Due to the insistence of "I do what I want, follow your desires" culture. Christianity and a life of meaning ruins the party for that fabulous crowd.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Some do, some don't. For Indian immigrants for example, Canada is very profitable. Infact Indian households on average make more than white Canadian house holds. I believe Chinese do aswell. I see recently arrived indians buying up huge homes, sometimes homes that are not even finished being built in new subdivisions.

I actually really like this idea. I think its kind of been tried though. Most people that took french in shool don't speak it very well.
They make sacrifices. They work hard and the family tends to pool together and live together. White people are typically more individualistic.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
They make sacrifices. They work hard and the family tends to pool together and live together. White people are typically more individualistic.
Fudion2, who do you classify as "white"?

Old 09-25-2023, 09:33 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I agree with both of you in that we need realistic solutions, the question is whether we should at the same time be accelerating and pursuing the solutions available to us now as quickly and as throughly as we can. I see the writing on the wall with carbon emissions continuing unfettered and it doesn’t look good. I am very optimistic battery costs will come down. I think we could be world leaders if we had the vision to use our resources for this purpose. No doubt Canada has huge lithium reserves, maybe I’m wrong but I think that stuff is everywhere and we’re a massive country. I think I’m 10 years we might come back to this thread and we’ll all be driving affordable EVs, who knows. I hope so
I'd be willing to pay a bit more for EV's but i'm not paying 5 to 10K more for one. The math doesn't add up. I think there used to be a green incentive as well - I think Doug Ford got rid of it here in Ontario. They should reintroduce that.

Also any investment in good PT is great for the environment. People drive to work when it isn't as viable to take PT - but if PT becomes more viable than they will move towards PT - particularly younger people. I should add any delay in introducing PT is bad for the environment. Take the Crosstown for example. How much pollution has been emitted every year the damn thing is delayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada