Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 11:47 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesbal View Post
years ago, when i was desperate for a job at a local factory, i checked the “american indian” box on the application. I didn’t get a job.
lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 05:17 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
If I pretended to be from Quebec, would I be a “francofauxne”?
Francophony

Old 11-10-2023, 07:41 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,198,431 times
[quote=Hollytree;66050596]In the 1960s it was very fashionable to say you were Indian. If she did create a persona, like a lot of other famous people have, it was part of her image and made her stand out in the crowd.

While her actions may have been misleading and potentially offensive to some Indians, it doesn't take away from the fact that she was a great and incredibly unique folksinger and song writer. And Indians in both the US and Canada did get a lot of acclamation out of that at the time owing to her popular performances.

Think of all the actors and actresses who changed their names to create personas. Do you remember Judy Garland or Frances Ethel Gumm?

Would Donald Trump be as successful as he has with his base of deplorables if he was Donald Drumpf and did not use the more palatable name Trump (Family name probably changed by his grandfather to avoid the German connection- would the g-father be said to be living a lie?). He wouldn't be the first performer politician to be a Wizard of Oz.

Bottom line, although a disappointing pose, it really shouldn't take everything away from her legacy and talent.

================================================== ==================

Her talent is not in question here (though I was never a fan). Her integrity is.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 11-10-2023 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-23-2023, 09:33 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,964,125 times
And the big liar doubles down in desperate attempt to hold onto Canadian awards, honours and recognitions! I think the Indigenous People of Canada do not agree with this foreigners definition of what it means to be Indigenous in Canada.

"'Being "Indian" has little do with sperm tracking and colonial record keeping,' singer says"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...tion-1.7037406

Old 11-23-2023, 10:59 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Am I the only one who finds that the fact she chose to use the term "Indian" shows how she's really out of touch?

Old 11-23-2023, 11:51 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,964,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Am I the only one who finds that the fact she chose to use the term "Indian" shows how she's really out of touch?
You are not alone. Indigenous People of Canada have made it known for a long time which terms are appropriate, and which are derogatory.

Buffy Sainte Marie is a pretendian who has no knowledge or understanding of Indigenous people. She is not entitled to registration as a First Nation person. She participated in a ceremonial adoption as an adult; something that has no legal standing in Canada.

Buffy Sainte Marie is a liar who cheated Indigenous People of Canada out of awards, honours and recognitions for decades, and she has no intention of doing the right thing now that she has been exposed as a foreigner and a liar.

"Many Indigenous people in Canada prefer not to describe themselves as "Indians" and view this term as rooted in colonialism and racism. Under the Indian Act, the precise legal meaning of the term "Indian" refers to First Nations persons who are entitled to registration."

https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/110010.../1572459644986

Old 01-29-2024, 04:41 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,394,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But....why? I'm surprised she was so easily accepted in the Indigenous world, back in the 60's, when she was new on the scene. That's not easy to do: pass as Native.
I think her ability to pull it is based on the following:

- It was the 1960s and her trendy and folksy target audience was not inclined to ask her hard questions about any inconsistencies they may of heard.

- Her final answer in regards to her claimed tribal origins was Canadian Cree- conveniently some distance away from US performance areas and easy verification.

- Her last name was genuinely changed to the French Sainte Marie. I dont know if Cree are Francophone, but to somebody in the US the French "Sainte Marie" and "Canadian Indian" could seem to go together.

- She was of partial Italian descent and did not need to explain blue eyes and blond hair.

- Crees live in a big area with 135 registered bands. Thus a good number of genuine Crees would probably not have direct knowledge of her, nor her claims.

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-29-2024 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-29-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
My guess is that the hunt for Pretendians is a lot less intense, if not fairly absent, in the US.
Elizabeth Warren can state that it flares up from time to time. But... I agree with you in the overall sense.

Old 01-29-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Canada maybe different, but Indians in the US that I have known frequently use the term "Indian" to describe themselves. Then go on to emphasize that agreed stated meeting times are on "Indian time".

Old 01-29-2024, 07:01 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
My guess is that the hunt for Pretendians is a lot less intense, if not fairly absent, in the US.
It goes on quietly behind the scenes online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada