Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 10:08 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
The adaptation of French surnames must have been due to the influence of French Catholic missionaries. Spanish surnames are common among tribes in the American Southwest due to Spanish Catholic influence.
To a large degree yes, though many Indigenous people on the Canadian Prairies are descended from a mix of both Indigenous and French (or French Canadian) ancestors.

Obviously this includes the Métis people whose very existence is literally that mix, but many people considered fully First Nations also have some European blood through French Canadian ancestors.

I think that despite modern-day demographics of the Prairies the European blood of Indigenous people there is more likely to be French than British (or some other European) due to the earlier French (Canadian) presence in the area, even if the population numbers were relatively small.

Also if you look at colonization history, for some reason European Catholics like the French, Spanish and Portuguese were way more likely to intermingle (ahem) with Indigenous populations than Protestants like the British were.

I have no specific idea why that is, but it would be an interesting topic for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's a weird situation with Buffy Ste. Marie. On the one hand, she actually was adopted later in life by a family on the Piapot reserve in Saskatchewan and has spent significant time in that community where people know her. It is notable that the Piapot chief came out after all this came to light and said as far as he is concerned, she is still a part of his community, since she was adopted and is somebody everyone has known for decades.

On the other hand, this isn't some straight up case of culture trumping genetics. Buffy hasn't been presenting herself as an ethically European woman who has assimilated to native culture and a native community. She has been misrepresenting herself to the world as something she is not, for profit. I think people being upset at being lied to about her actual personal history is hardly unreasonable.
I believe the chief is sincere when he says that, however it's worth noting that not all Indigenous people including much of the leadership would agree with his position.

It's said that at least part of the denunciations and "evidence" against Buffy Ste-Marie came from the Indigenous community and nation on the Canadian Prairies that she claims to be a part of.

My guess is that right now only a minority of Indigenous people feel that in the absence of the right bloodlines, you can actually become part of their community or nation through integration. No matter how much of a sincere effort you put into it.

As I said earlier - this marks a contemporary return to respectability of notions of blood and belonging, and ethno-racial purity.

It seems like Buffy Ste-Marie cut a lot of corners on who she was and even lied about certain things, but can anyone doubt her sincere commitment to Indigenous culture, identity and even causes in general?

She probably did way more for all of those than 90% of full-blooded Indigenous people out there.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:21 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, I didn't hear that part!

She does deserve to be exposed. In my opinion, of course.
The CBC article has a photo of the niece holding the threatening typed letter from the law firm. Much further down in the article is a photo of part of the handwritten letter that was included in a sealed envelope inside the law firm’s letter.

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/...y-sainte-marie

Quote:
Heidi St. Marie remembers the moment her father, Sainte-Marie’s older brother, received a threatening letter from his sister and her high-powered Los Angeles attorney. “It blew up my whole world,” St. Marie told CBC.
Others also appear to have been threatened:

Quote:
He said the family believed her claim to Indigenous ancestry was some sort of publicity stunt.

Whispers began to swirl that Sainte-Marie had threatened family members, including her own brother, with legal action or worse if they publicly questioned her ancestry claims.

“I remember those stories growing up … ‘Don’t talk about it. We don’t want any trouble…. Let her do what she wants to do because we don’t want to lose our house. We don’t want lawyers coming and suing us for defamation,’” Santamaria said.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I don't know many who did, either, but I am in NJ. There was a lot of prejudice against Italians here 100 years ago, but then everybody starting eating the food, so...

Buffy was from Massachusetts, Boston suburbs. Maybe a different dynamic there.

Anyway, her birth certificate says she was born Beverly Jean Santamaria. She claimed she was born Cree in Canada and adopted by her parents, but apparently not. CBC investigated and the town clerk pulled the birth certificate out of the file. Her niece says her DNA matches as a blood relative of Buffy's son, and that they are of European descent.

I guess when she started the story, it snowballed and she kept going, never foreseeing the Internet. Her brother apparently tried to tell the truth in the '60s and she threatened to tell that he had sexually abused her if he didn't shut up. Or so says the niece.
I guess she worked so hard to build up that persona and if we're being honest, truly believed in the Indigenous cause so much, that she weaved a bigger and bigger web of lies to protect it, but eventually it caught up with her.

At her age it's entirely possible that she could have passed before any of this was found out, and there is even an outside chance that it may never have been found out even after he death - had she been a bit "luckier".

Old 10-30-2023, 10:41 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,065,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
So she’s half-Italian like me.
Reminds me of “Iron Meatballs” Cody.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

Has Shania Twain ever claimed to be a First Nations person?
Shania Twain real name is Eilleen Edwards ...born in Windsor, Ontario
to Sharon (nee Morrison) and Clarence Edwards...

A couple of years later her parents divorced and her mother
married Jerry Twain who was Ojibwa....

Shania has a status Indian card, which came in handy when she moved to Nashville, Tennessee in 1991 (Jay Treaty of 1795). (First Nations do not require a Green Card).

Also interesting is "Grey Owl"....real name, Arichibald Belaney ....born in 1888 in Hastings, England.

He grew up in England reading stories of First Nations in Canada....their hunting and trapping....
he moved to Canada in 1906.....and gradually transformed himself into a new persona, "Grey Owl".
Writing books and going on lecture tours....passing himself off as half indian (half Apache!).
Even his ex-wives didn't know until after his death in 1938.
Sir Richard Attenborough made a movie about him in 1999....starring Pierce Brosnan....
perfect casting ...tall and good looking like Grey Owl was.

Last edited by GTB365; 10-30-2023 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-30-2023, 10:42 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Don't yell at me, lol. I just posted the article for information. I'm the whitest person you know, and I think it's appalling that she has played everyone for 60 years.
LOL. Not yelling at you - just my comment on the whole Buffie story.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:44 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The niece has proof of blackmail - letter handwritten by Buffy Sainte Marie. I bet the niece is daring her to sue.
That was the worst part of the story. No decent human being would make up a lie like that.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:18 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Shania Twain real name is Eilleen Edwards ...born in Windsor, Ontario
to Sharon (nee Morrison) and Clarence Edwards...

A couple of years later her parents divorced and her mother
married Jerry Twain who was Ojibwa....

Shania has a status Indian card, which came in handy when she moved to Nashville, Tennessee in 1991 (Jay Treaty of 1795). (First Nations do not require a Green Card).
Man! Does she feel like an Ojibwa?

Old 10-30-2023, 01:03 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
LOL. Not yelling at you - just my comment on the whole Buffie story.
I know.

I never even had the "Indian great-grandma" story in my family. We knew our ancestors came the Netherlands and the UK and exactly when.

I recently had dinner at a friend's house, and had a long conversation with her husband the first time. I noted that his name sounded Dutch, since I am of Dutch descent myself (with a very English last name). Turns out he is Belgian, but then he went on to say that he grew up being told that he was MOSTLY Native American and then had his DNA done and found out he's maybe 5%. But he just turned 61, and he's lived most of his life believing he's mostly indigenous because there was some family story handed down that wasn't true.

Old 10-30-2023, 02:59 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Indigenous Women's Collective says evidence in CBC investigation into Buffy Sainte-Marie is 'overwhelming'

Quote:
This deception allowed her to benefit from a very deliberate and false narrative that misled thousands of Indigenous youth, adults and most tragically, Indigenous survivors of colonial harm"
Quote:
"Being adopted into an Indigenous family does not authorize anyone to speak on behalf of all our people"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada