Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 12:10 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times

Advertisements

Buffy on the American children’s show “Sesame Street”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXkM11kp_tg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 05:28 PM

1,226 posts, read 501,182 times
Classic sesame street. Is sesame street still running?

If you look at Buffys facial features in that sesame street video, she clearly does not look Native.

Old 11-04-2023, 05:32 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Classic sesame street. Is sesame street still running?

If you look at Buffys facial features in that sesame street video, she clearly does not look Native.
“Sesame Street” is now on Max, formerly HBO Max.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:09 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,758 times
I just watched a documentary on her, and she looks just like a picture of her caucasian mother and strong resemblance to her sister as well. Just from that alone, I would be hard pressed to say that she wasn't from their blood. That, combined with her documented record of birth - how is she even able to continue the falsehood that she is of indigenous heritage?

Wouldn't a simple DNA test resolve this whole issue?

Old 11-05-2023, 01:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
I don't care what Buffy's DNA says about whatever her race is and whatever the race of her biological parentage is. Race is both over and under rated by too many people and it should be irrelevant. If she was adopted and raised and educated in a First Nations Native culture then that's what her culture and ethnicity is. She is an ethnic First Nations Native of whatever tribe she was adopted into.

I think some people are making a mountain out of a mole hill about her race when the only really issue is about her personal ethics and whether or not she deliberately deceived people about her cultural beliefs and the way of life she was raised in. If she demonstrated no intent to cause harm or take unethical or economic advantage of any people inside her culture, then what is the problem?

Did she do that? Or did she correctly portray and demonstrate and defend the ways of the culture she was raised in and claims as her own?

Old 11-05-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't care what Buffy's DNA says about whatever her race is and whatever the race of her biological parentage is. Race is both over and under rated by too many people and it should be irrelevant. If she was adopted and raised and educated in a First Nations Native culture then that's what her culture and ethnicity is. She is an ethnic First Nations Native of whatever tribe she was adopted into.

I think some people are making a mountain out of a mole hill about her race when the only really issue is about her personal ethics and whether or not she deliberately deceived people about her cultural beliefs and the way of life she was raised in. If she demonstrated no intent to cause harm or take unethical or economic advantage of any people inside her culture, then what is the problem?

Did she do that? Or did she correctly portray and demonstrate and defend the ways of the culture she was raised in and claims as her own?

Ethics. In the documentary, a hand-written letter from Buffy to her brother was shown. She threatened that if he came out publically about her authentic birth parents, she would claim he sexually abused her as a child. Sounds like blackmail. If she really wanted to out her brother as a pedofile, she should do that whether or not he discloses the truth, not as a threat just to silence him.

In the documentary, Buffy said in an interview that her birth mother was indigenous and had always known her identity, which is clearly a lie. She also claimed to be from 3 different tribes at different times. If she knew the identity of her birth mother, wouldn't she know of which tribe she was a member?

Members of her family claimed that her parents were afraid of her and that is why they kept quiet about her false stories, although her brother, neice, and uncle have separately come forward to publically confirm that she was born to caucasian parents and is a member of a caucasian family. Sordid? Yes. But this is what you risk when you so carelessly and blatantly falsify facts, especially being such a public figure.

The point is that this woman has concocted this elaborate trail of lies about her heritage and her birth family, which has changed along the way to suit her narrative. The woman clearly has issues with truth, has profited from her lies, and that is not exactly a mole hill, and definitely NOT ethical.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:16 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Ethics. In the documentary, a hand-written letter from Buffy to her brother was shown. She threatened that if he came out publically about her authentic birth parents, she would claim he sexually abused her as a child. Sounds like blackmail. If she really wanted to out her brother as a pedofile, she should do that whether or not he discloses the truth, not as a threat just to silence him.

In the documentary, Buffy said in an interview that her birth mother was indigenous and had always known her identity, which is clearly a lie. She also claimed to be from 3 different tribes at different times. If she knew the identity of her birth mother, wouldn't she know of which tribe she was a member?

Members of her family claimed that her parents were afraid of her and that is why they kept quiet about her false stories, although her brother, neice, and uncle have separately come forward to publically confirm that she was born to caucasian parents and is a member of a caucasian family. Sordid? Yes. But this is what you risk when you so carelessly and blatantly falsify facts, especially being such a public figure.

The point is that this woman has concocted this elaborate trail of lies about her heritage and her birth family, which has changed along the way to suit her narrative. The woman clearly has issues with truth, has profited from her lies, and that is not exactly a mole hill, and definitely NOT ethical.
She could also have supported the indigenous community without claiming to be indigenous. I completely accept the right of the tribe/s to claim her if they want to, in spite of her using false pretenses to become adopted. However, what she did to her real family is despicable and using a fake indigenous narrative to further her singing career is also awful.

If I steal from a church and use the money to open a soup kitchen for poor people, does it make it less of a theft? The whole terrible history of the 60s scoop children wasn't hers to be used.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:49 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:

Ethics. ..... The point is that this woman has concocted this elaborate trail of lies about her heritage and her birth family, which has changed along the way to suit her narrative. The woman clearly has issues with truth, has profited from her lies, and that is not exactly a mole hill, and definitely NOT ethical.
Okay, thanks. Well if all of that is true and she's been unethical and profited from lies about herself and other people and made threats to family members then I guess what's happening now is her karma is coming back to her to bite her in the bum before she dies of old age. I'm okay with that, it's her own self-created problem to deal with and make restitution and reckoning if she can and I'm not going to get myself into a lather about it.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:36 AM

Here is a very enlightening Youtube video concerning the topic if Indigeneity for those of us who are not familiar with the concept, and how it applies to BSM. I learned a thing or two.

Defining Indigeneity: The Problem with Buffy Sainte-Marie"]Defining Indigeneity: The Problem with Buffy Sainte-Marie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfrMcYXTkk

Last edited by BijouBaby; 11-06-2023 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-06-2023, 08:55 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Here is a very enlightening Youtube video concerning the topic if Indigeneity for those of us who are not familiar with the concept, and how it applies to BSM. I learned a thing or two.

Defining Indigeneity: The Problem with Buffy Sainte-Marie
Your link isn't working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada