Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 09:03 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,197,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Your link isn't working.
I fixed it, but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfr...themeRefresh=1

Last edited by BijouBaby; 11-06-2023 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 10:01 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Classic sesame street. Is sesame street still running?

If you look at Buffys facial features in that sesame street video, she clearly does not look Native.
I suppose now that we have the benefit of hindsight, though wouldn't you say that Indigenous features can vary a lot from one region to the next, and of course due to European admixture that even a lot of people who are considered fully Indigenous have to some degree.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:33 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't care what Buffy's DNA says about whatever her race is and whatever the race of her biological parentage is. Race is both over and under rated by too many people and it should be irrelevant. If she was adopted and raised and educated in a First Nations Native culture then that's what her culture and ethnicity is. She is an ethnic First Nations Native of whatever tribe she was adopted into.

I think some people are making a mountain out of a mole hill about her race when the only really issue is about her personal ethics and whether or not she deliberately deceived people about her cultural beliefs and the way of life she was raised in. If she demonstrated no intent to cause harm or take unethical or economic advantage of any people inside her culture, then what is the problem?

Did she do that? Or did she correctly portray and demonstrate and defend the ways of the culture she was raised in and claims as her own?

She was not "adopted and raised and educated" in a First Nation culture. She grew up in Massachusetts in a happy family. Her parents are Italian and British. She had an enriched education with music training throughout the 1940s and 1950s. After completing high school in Massachusetts, she went to University in the USA. She knew nothing about the Indigenous People of Canada, their values, beliefs, or culture.

When she was 23 years old, she went to Canada, lied to an Indigenous family, and claimed to be an indigenous person who was stolen from her Canadian indigenous family as a baby. Through numerous lies, she convinced the childless couple to adopt her. That is an honorary adoption, not a legal adoption.

She absolutely cashed-in by claiming to be Canadian and Indigenous. She could not accurately demonstrate, portray, or defend Indigenous culture because she did not have authentic knowledge of the Indigenous People of Canada. For example, she claimed to be a victim of the 1960's scoop, where Indigenous children were placed with non-Indigenous families. Buffy Sainte Marie was born in 1941. She was too old to be a 60s scoop child, but she didn't know that because she doesn't know anything about the Indigenous People of Canada.

Old 11-06-2023, 04:47 PM

1,229 posts, read 505,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I suppose now that we have the benefit of hindsight, though wouldn't you say that Indigenous features can vary a lot from one region to the next, and of course due to European admixture that even a lot of people who are considered fully Indigenous have to some degree.
I would say they do vary but not a whole lot within Canda. With the exception of a few, most native groups here are closely related. The largest indigenous language group is the Algonquin group, they stretch from Alberta to the Maritimes. Of course Inuits clearly do look different from other first nations people.Then you have groups along the west coast and north west and Athabaskan groups, i would say they are also distintic but for the most part natives in Canada do look alot a like and most differences in looks comes from mixing with Europeans. MicMacs in the maritimes for example are highly mixed and some I wouldn't know they were native if they didn't tell me. However I have met some that do look very indigenous and they don't look different from the Cree and Ojibwas I see in these parts on a daily basis. They are the same family.

Old 11-08-2023, 12:59 PM

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has set the example for Buffy Sainte Marie, showing her how to do the right thing after being exposed as a pretendian fraud in Canada. Does the disgraced musician from Massachusetts have the courage to do the right thing? We shall see. Perhaps she thinks that Canadians don't count, don't deserve respect, don't deserve honesty and integrity from foreigners.

"Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond, a high-profile former judge embroiled in a controversy surrounding her claims to Indigenous identity, has been removed from the Order of Canada at her own request.

Turpel-Lafond was appointed to the Order of Canada in 2021.

She has also returned honorary degrees from several universities, including Simon Fraser University, Brock, and two Vancouver Island schools, while McGill, Carleton and the University of Regina have rescinded awards granted to her.

An investigation by the CBC in fall 2022 found evidence that called into question Turpel-Lafond's claims of Indigenous identity."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mary-e...ions-1.6630513

Old 11-08-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has set the example for Buffy Sainte Marie, showing her how to do the right thing after being exposed as a pretendian fraud in Canada. Does the disgraced musician from Massachusetts have the courage to do the right thing? We shall see. Perhaps she thinks that Canadians don't count, don't deserve respect, don't deserve honesty and integrity from foreigners.

"Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond, a high-profile former judge embroiled in a controversy surrounding her claims to Indigenous identity, has been removed from the Order of Canada at her own request.

Turpel-Lafond was appointed to the Order of Canada in 2021.

She has also returned honorary degrees from several universities, including Simon Fraser University, Brock, and two Vancouver Island schools, while McGill, Carleton and the University of Regina have rescinded awards granted to her.

An investigation by the CBC in fall 2022 found evidence that called into question Turpel-Lafond's claims of Indigenous identity."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mary-e...ions-1.6630513
My guess is that the hunt for Pretendians is a lot less intense, if not fairly absent, in the US.

Perhaps Buffy Ste-Marie thinks if she ducks and covers she can escape the worst of it.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My guess is that the hunt for Pretendians is a lot less intense, if not fairly absent, in the US.

Perhaps Buffy Ste-Marie thinks if she ducks and covers she can escape the worst of it.
I think you may be right. Her first reaction was to double down. She may even believe that support from the family that adopted her under false pretenses protects her from her fraudulent claims. If so, she is mistaken. An honourary adoption when she was an adult does not make her Canadian or Indigenous.

Pretendians could be more abundant in Canada due to government mandated support and empowerment of indigenous people. Buffy Sainte Marie very likely views Canadians as particularly stupid for rewarding her for her lies. I do not believe that an unremarkable folk singer from Massachusetts would be granted these honourary degrees if she did not falsely claim to be Canadian and indigenous.

Honorary Doctorates

2019 – University of Toronto – Honorary Doctor of Laws
2018 – Dalhousie University – Honorary Doctor of Laws
2017 – University of Lethbridge – Honorary Doctor of Laws
2016 – Vancouver Island University – Honorary Doctor of Laws
2012 – University of British Columbia – Honorary Doctor of Letters
2010 – Wilfrid Laurier University – Honorary Doctor of Letters
2010 – Ontario College of Art and Design – Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts
2010 – Brandon University – Honorary Doctor of Music
2009 – University of Western Ontario – Honorary Doctor of Music
2008 – Carleton University – Honorary Doctor of Laws
2007 – Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design – Honorary Doctor of Letters
2003 – University of Saskatchewan – Honorary Doctor of Humanities
2000 – Lakehead University – Honorary Doctor of Letters
1996 – University of Regina – Honorary Doctor of Laws

Old 11-08-2023, 02:03 PM

9,301 posts, read 14,919,650 times
In the 1960s it was very fashionable to say you were Indian. If she did create a persona, like a lot of other famous people have, it was part of her image and made her stand out in the crowd.

While her actions may have been misleading and potentially offensive to some Indians, it doesn't take away from the fact that she was a great and incredibly unique folksinger and song writer. And Indians in both the US and Canada did get a lot of acclamation out of that at the time owing to her popular performances.

Think of all the actors and actresses who changed their names to create personas. Do you remember Judy Garland or Frances Ethel Gumm?

Would Donald Trump be as successful as he has with his base of deplorables if he was Donald Drumpf and did not use the more palatable name Trump (Family name probably changed by his grandfather to avoid the German connection- would the g-father be said to be living a lie?). He wouldn't be the first performer politician to be a Wizard of Oz.

Bottom line, although a disappointing pose, it really shouldn't take everything away from her legacy and talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnZVIluWuq4 Now That the Buffalos Gone

Last edited by Hollytree; 11-08-2023 at 02:13 PM..

Old 11-08-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I think you may be right. Her first reaction was to double down. She may even believe that support from the family that adopted her under false pretenses protects her from her fraudulent claims. If so, she is mistaken. An honourary adoption when she was an adult does not make her Canadian or Indigenous.

Pretendians could be more abundant in Canada due to government mandated support and empowerment of indigenous people. Buffy Sainte Marie very likely views Canadians as particularly stupid for rewarding her for her lies. I do not believe that an unremarkable folk singer from Massachusetts would be granted these honourary degrees if she did not falsely claim to be Canadian and indigenous.
This is an interesting point. I had always assumed that the situation of Indigenous people in the US (and also) Australia in terms of programs and status was largely the same as in Canada, but I've learned recentyl that it's very different. Not saying that the situation in Canada is better or worse than in those countries, but in terms of the government Canada does go way further than the others.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:53 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,537,385 times
Interesting map:

https://mstdn.social/@jeffowski@mast...77883324137145
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada